Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    dash heat circulating pump
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

dash heat circulating pump
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of beeoh
posted
we have a 30ft. Breakaway DP and are unhappy with the dash heating. Has anyone ever installed a 12v circulating pump to more efficiently deliver hot water to the front heater? Thanks, bob

------------------
Bob and Jan Orr
Canadian Barth owners
94 30ft. Breakaway

Posts: 196 | Location: Qualicum Beach,Vancouver Island | Member Since: 06-20-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I suspect front heat wouldn't be helped by a circ pump.

I'd first check to see if there's a bunch of dirt/dust in the external fins of the heater core. If they're clean, then I'd pull the water connections off to see if the core itself is plugged up.

Thirdly, I'd shunt the supply/return lines with a clear plastic line so the circulation (and the condition of the supply/return lines can be confirmed - but these are unlikely culprits).

If all of those are clean, I'd suggest insulating the supply lines from the engine compartment.

My guess is that you'll find the heater core external fins are pretty ugly. They can be blown out with compressed air, and then a dose of A/C coil cleaner applied.

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Country Coach used a Bergstrom recirculation pump to do what you are talking about. They have switched recently to MP Products because Bergstrom is out of business or got bought out? The pump was mounted on the frame near the Cummins and was somehow wired into the dash heat control. I could dig into this if you have problems figuring it out.

I only know about this because my pump was leaking because the impeller had partially snapped off. I found the pump can't be rebuilt.

Country Coach wants $217 for the replacement MP pump. I found a Bergstrom on eBay and got it for $25 plus $14 shipping, but haven't installed it yet. Currently I have a pipe stub in place of the pump and there is a noticeable difference in the amount of heat available in colder weather.

Mike

Posts: 142 | Location: Garden Grove, CA | Member Since: 06-09-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Well, there ya' go!

The next question would be, does it install on the supply or return line?

Most dash heat contols have a switch and possibly a relay to power the blower motor when in any position but "off". This could be tapped into to run the pump only when the blower runs. It would probably be a good idea to only run a relay off this connection, depending on how much power the circulationg pump draws.

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post