Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Generator hookup
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Generator hookup
 Login now/Join our community

posted
My 1978 21' Barth did not come with a generator. I measured the side cabinet and a 4000 onan will just fit. Inside is a 30 amp main breaker which appears compatible with the onan. (I'm not much on elect) The outside compartment seems to have the wiring for the hookup, but possibly there was never a gen set there. I can't see any evidence of one being installed. I found a bundle of low voltage wires (5 or 6) going up into the wall of the coach, but do not know where it goes. I assume it would go to the control panel, starting circuit, etc, but can't find any place where it should or could have been mounted. Any help would be appreciated.

Posts: 42 | Location: Camarillo, Ca. USA | Member Since: 12-24-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
posted Hide Post
Terry, it sounds like your coach came from the factory "generator ready", that is prepped for the genset but not installed.

------------------
mike foster
83-35' regency 8.2 detroit towing 98 cherokee classic 4x4

Posts: 149 | Location: earlham,iowa-usa | Member Since: 01-08-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep, I believe your correct. I have managed to follow and check on all wiring except one. Any one have any idea where that bundle of 5 wires goes to. It goes into the wall at the gen set location. It must be the wiring for the control panel in the coach, but since it is "gen ready", no control panel was installed. If I could find where it was intended to be installed, maybe the other end of the 5 wires are just inside the wall at that location.

Posts: 42 | Location: Camarillo, Ca. USA | Member Since: 12-24-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My generator "controls" are located in the center of the dash board under the radio.

------------------
Gary & Edie
North Idaho
1988 28' 454

Posts: 138 | Location: Hayden Lake (Coeur d'Alene), ID USA | Member Since: 11-14-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Maybe not much help Terry, but how many wires does it take for the remote on-off-start switch on the dash? My '78-24' unit has the switch mounted on the angle portion of the dash, right side of the Chevy instrument panel, about half-way between instrument panel edge and main dash......

Maybe there's a wire bundle in that area just waiting for you.......?

Lee
'78/24'/P30/454

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Didn't even think about checking behind the dash. Just thought it would be in the main coach. Will check and get back.

posted Hide Post
Isn't this site GREAT or what. In just a few hours you have received some great help. I LOVE IT. Dale

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lee, your alright. I looked under the dash and there it is. I checked the dash area where you say your's is and there's a roughly three inch hole in the dash that's just covered with the dash vinyl. Ya-hoo. Did yours come with an hour meter? What do you have there? Just wondering about the controls that come with the onan... I can get one with or without the hour meter.
(I love this site) One other question. I can't find any converter, something that converts incoming power to 12 volts for the lighting, etc. I guess the incoming power is just for the refer, outlets & heater. How could the generator 0r incoming power help keep the batteries charged? Maybe it don't.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
The genset probably has a low amperage charging output back to its starting battery bank. Definitely get an hour meter. I have found them on ebay cheaper by half than at stores and probably greater than that as an option. I find it strange that our toys have 30 amp service and often have gennys with much higher output. I am planning on upping the output service box for the genset side of the isolation switch. This will allow me to run the galley, the air and lights without the aggravation of tripping breakers.
Best of luck,
Tim

Posts: 1068 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Terry - FWIW - I installed a genny in my previous rig a couple years ago. The only Onan that would fit was a 2 KW job that didn't have enough juice.

I bought a 3.5 KW Generac from a mail order company in Boca Raton, FL (don't have the address or URL here, but Dave has led some folks on to that company in the past. ) total cost was $1,775. (Installed it myself.)

The Generac pulled the a/c & micro with no trouble, and was quieter than the 6.5 KW Onan in my Barth.

If you consider this option, be sure to check the dimensions. I had to remove the compartment door frame, and the bottom sheet metal on the genny to get it in.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Over the weekend I'll run over to my Barth storage site and take a pic or two of the dash generator controls to send you.....As I recall, these's a separate rocker rocker switch for start/stop and a round elapsed hour meter (Hobbs I think)

I have an Onan 4k in a '78 24 footer, so I have to think Barth would have used the same set-up for your unit...If it's not too cold and my bones can handle it, I'll try to trace the wire colors at both ends........

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for all your help. Lee, don't bother tracing wires. I'm sure the new control panel will be easy to hook up. I have not looked into genracs yet, but the onan 4k will fit with ease. I'm monitoring some used units on ebay, but am a little hesitant about something with no warranty. Used stuff seems to be going for around 1500. A new one is approx 2250. I'll probably just go for the piece of mind.

posted Hide Post
One thing that RINGS loud and clear is the hunger so many members have for electrical info. With this a fact we will do what we can to have a voice or two at YOUR Rally to discuss this. I welcome someone to stand up and say they would like to be involved. Advise Sugar's or myself PLEASE. June 23-27th. Dale

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Terry,

According to my manual for a '78 coach with 4k Onan, the dash remote control wiring is as follows:

Black - Ground
Brown - Stop
Yellow - Start
Orange - Battery Condition Meter
Red - Lamp & Running Time indicator

Also, Northern Tool sometimes footballs Generac prices, depending on inventory & demand...Might be worth a look...Good luck...

posted Hide Post
Thanks Lee, I will. And thanks for the wiring diagram. I printed it out for reference.