Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    how to filling fresh water
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

how to filling fresh water
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Capt Bob
posted
can only find city hook up,,, have been looking for manfilling tank,,, thanks Capt Bobuel fill with no luck, did find fill switch and it lights up, but that seems to be it, doesnt seem to be

Capt Bob
1984 35ft Regency
MCC chassis
8.2 Detroit Turbo

Posts: 115 | Location: West Central Florida | Member Since: 10-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jsloan
posted Hide Post
On my regency, on the passenger side is a door much like the gas filler doors. I'm not sure if its supposed to be but there is a hole that you can put a hose about 6" into and that is where mine fills from. Make sure you use one of the white drinking water hoses to fill it with if you plan on drinking it.

~Jeff~

1984 28' Regal P30

Posts: 148 | Location: Mississippi | Member Since: 09-13-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsloan:
On my regency, on the passenger side is a door much like the gas filler doors...

~Jeff~

1984 28' Regal P30
Does not compute? hmm
quote:
Originally posted by jsloan:
Make sure you use one of the white drinking water hoses to fill it with if you plan on drinking it.
I've heard that the black hoses causes the water to get filled with bacterial from the sun heating up the hose. Does anyone care to comment on this?

Myself??? I ONLY use bottle water for drinking.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/09
Picture of robert and kimberly delucia
posted Hide Post
well i have 86 regency tank is kinda old I never drink from coach tank.dont know where its been?i have flushed with bleach !to help clean ..still i bring water dollar store, a dollar a gallon .just feel funny about it ..dont know what is in thier hahha

Posts: 204 | Location: unionville tennessee | Member Since: 10-02-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jsloan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does not compute?

head bang Posting before coffee....always a bad idea.

~Jeff~

1984 28' Regal P30

Posts: 148 | Location: Mississippi | Member Since: 09-13-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
Picture of Medic37
posted Hide Post
Connect garden style hose to City Hook-up. Find your "water control cabinet" [mine is forward of mid-ship, port side]. Inside that cabinet should be 2 or 3 Tank Fill Valves [depends if you have auto-fill option and if you have more than one water tank].

My Regency has 2, 50-gallon tanks and a disabled "auto-fill", thus, I have 3 valves. Opening ONE or a COMBINATION of these valves will fill your water tanks.

The valves in your water control cabinet will initially look confusing, but after studying them for a short period of time you will easily understand what each of them does.

~Mac~

1990 31 Foot Regency
Spartan Chassis
Cummins 6CTA8.3
Alison MT643, 4-speed
8905-0123-31RDS-A2

Posts: 259 | Location: Sand Creek Township, Minnesota | Member Since: 06-21-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jsloan
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've heard that the black hoses causes the water to get filled with bacterial from the sun heating up the hose. Does anyone care to comment on this?

Found this:

quote:
According to About Container Gardening Guide Kerry Michaels, most garden hoses are made from PVC, which contains lead as a stabilizer. Lead can leach out into the water, and, bammo, you're drinking water that has 10 to 100 times the acceptable amount of lead in it.

I have a filter on a drinking water spigot (which will be changed out soon to something that arches higher) that will probably be as good or better than much bottled water. I have inspected my water tank and I must say it looks very clean.

~Jeff~

1984 28' Regal P30

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
When you say man fill??? Don't really know the technical terms or the designated use for the fill from the passenger side. We fill our tanks from the city water side by opening the tank hoses up under the passenger side bed(we have twins) I guess you could fill from home so you know you have good water.

Always make sure you watch the overfilling of the tanks as the tanks will start to swell to the point they look like they might pop. Thought the passenger side fill would be overflow but the tanks just swelled up & we didn't wait to see if they would overflow because afraid the tanks might split first.

We sanitize our tanks & lines every year & haven't had any problems yet. We also have a drinking water filter at the sink. It is called a Nature Pure system. We have an extra cannister if someone would like to have it but you would have to buy the filter,the spigot,& a hanger to hang it on under sink(ours broke).

Tere

We have an extra cannister if someone would like to have it. You would have to buy the spigot, filter, &

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Medic37
posted Hide Post
I should have said: RV HOSE with "garden hose style" ends/connectors.

I agree that the practice of using actual "garden hoses" shoud be only for those of us who do not drink tank water. If you are drinking tank water, you should be certain to fill from a reliable source, fill with plastic RV hose and use filtration systems.

I do not drink tank water as I find-it just as easy to drink bottled fluids from the fridge.

Not sure about sanatizing the system with bleech anymore. Used to do this, but then saw a warning regarding the GRAY tubing and possible deterioration from contact with bleech.

I recently had a leak at the connection to the water heater. Consequently, I chose to install a water heater by-pass during the leak repair. The gaskets on the inside of both "screw-on style" GRAY connectors has severly deteriorated GRAY gaskets. This is what caused the initial leak. Replaced both connectors during by-pass install.

The gaskets were dry and falling apart and looked as if bleech could have been a culprit [right a-long-with TIME].

~Mac~

1990 31 Foot Regency
Spartan Chassis
Cummins 6CTA8.3
Alison MT643, 4-speed
8905-0123-31RDS-A2

Posts: 259 | Location: Sand Creek Township, Minnesota | Member Since: 06-21-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
I can't speak to the safety of using other than RV-specific hoses, but in my experience ordinary garden hoses impart unpleasant flavors.

It's worth a few extra bucks to get a white hose, or an RV-approved coiled house, & dedicate it to your water supply, & it helps to have a taste filter in that filler line as well. You encounter some strange tasting water in various parts of the U.S., from chlorine, to swampy, to sulfurous, to alkaline.

My local water tastes pretty good, but I use a Brita pitcher in the house nonetheless, & run it through a taste filter when filling my RV tank.

Been there, done that, more than 40 years, in RVs across the U.S., & boats in U.S., Canadian, & Alaskan waters.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/12
Picture of Carl Feren
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Medic37:
Not sure about sanitizing the system with bleach anymore. Used to do this, but then saw a warning regarding the GRAY tubing and possible deterioration from contact with bleach.

Hi Medic37 ... what do you recommend for sanitizing the system? Is hydrogen peroxide an option?

Carl Feren

30'- 1992 Breakaway on Spartan Chassis
5.9L Cummins 190
Banks Powerpack
Allison 4 spd - 542B
9206-3805-30BS-6B
7KW Kohler Propane Genset

Posts: 159 | Location: All of North America | Member Since: 02-16-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Medic37
posted Hide Post
No expert here...

...and is be time to consider a different option for sanatizing for my rig [or a least from keeping anything too weird from growing in there].

Probably some research is in order, possibly right here on the site. This is where I found the information regarding GRAY tubing and bleech.

I would think hydrogen peroxide could also be a significant drying agent and cause premature failure of gaskets.

One of these on-site chemists might have the answer...

~Mac~

1990 31 Foot Regency
Spartan Chassis
Cummins 6CTA8.3
Alison MT643, 4-speed
8905-0123-31RDS-A2

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill N.Y.:

Any of the organisms present in all faucet water will multiply and thrive in a hose left in the sun. Color matters only in that it affects the amount of sunlight the hose absorbs, which affects temperature.

Heating of any hose allows some transfer of the chemicals from the hose to the water. Of course, the hoses sold for drinking water are slightly less toxic, but no hose should allow drinking water to heat up.

For filling, running the water until it is as cold as it is going to get is an indicator that the bad water is gone and the hose is no longer heated. Then, it is safe to fill the RV.

When hooked up, keep the sun off the hose any way you can. When I was a perm, and hooked up, my water was supplied by a short length of the old gray PB tubing, and the whole trailer was purged before every stay.

Any water we use for cooking or tooth brushing is run through a Brita faucet filter. Or maybe it's a PUR. We use Listerine immediately after brushing with faucet water.

Been this way since the sixties. So far, so good.

quote:

Myself??? I ONLY use bottle water for drinking.

Pretty much the same here. At home, our drinking water is run through a Brita faucet filter and then through a PUR pitcher. One of my sons is an engineer, and was all over the Pacific for a coupla years. He worked out a spread sheet comparing various methods of dealing with Third World water, and this is what he came up with.

We carry a lot of this water in containers for drinking, and when we run out, we try to buy the filtered water from the dispensing machines. It is pretty good.

NB: RE Quartzsite...The best tasting drinking water (for us) is Glacier from the coin machine at the General Store. It is the easternmost market on the main drag. We have run it through our PUR pitcher, and found no improvement, which speaks pretty well for the water. Bring quarters.

We fill our (non-drinking) tank from the Reverse Osmosis hose at the RV Pit Stop. The RO dispenser at the Pit Stop is possibly better-filtered, but doesn't taste any better (to us) than the RO hose there, but costs more.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/16
posted Hide Post
We've had a reverse osmosis system, Watts Premier, in our home for about 12 years since the well water here in Indiana is pretty bad.
Portable RO systems are made for motorhomes and trailers, and our son installed one in the 34' '85 Pace Arrow he has and is temporarily living in on a contract job out of state for his family. It works great.
Here is the link to the unit he bought:
http://www.crystalclearsupply....arch.x=16&Search.y=9
Link to Watts Premier: http://www.premierh2o.com/
There are many companies producing these portable systems so one can shop. We have history with Watts Premier and will go with their product on our coach. One word of advice: read up on these units so when you shop for one, you will know a good product versus bad one. Some charcoal filtered units are being sold in the same context as the RO....buyer beware.
The difference is huge to us; the water is good, safe, doesn't destroy the drip coffee maker, is fabulous to cook with and we have confidence in drinking it no matter where we are.
Cheers!

Posts: 77 | Location: IN | Member Since: 09-30-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post