Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Leveling jack problem
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Leveling jack problem
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of Frank Strong
posted
It appears that my electric motor that powers the hydraulic pump on the leveling jack system has failed. In years past I have replaced the soloniod a couple of times to get it going. I have tried tapping the motor while it was engaged but to no avail.

Has anyone removed the motor? I have 12V to the motor terminals but unsure how to proceed to break open the motor.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Frank Strong
1994 Regency 34ft
300 HP Cummins, 6 spd Allison
Spartan MM Chassis

Posts: 125 | Location: Walthall, MS/Ocoee, FL (Orlando area) | Member Since: 03-20-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Frank Strong
posted Hide Post
Looks like I will be breaking new ground on this one. I did talk to a guy who repairs alternaters etc and he recommended taking the cap off first to check the brushes.

Wish me lots of luck on this one --------

Frank Strong
1994 Regency 34ft
Spartan MM Chassis

Posts: 125 | Location: Walthall, MS/Ocoee, FL (Orlando area) | Member Since: 03-20-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
The motors on the HWH systems look like starter motors. The most common failure will be the brushes. You may be able to remove the end cap to service them.

The HWH parts manual we have shows several different power units. Hopefully this might help.

Try here:

https://www.barthmobile.com/eve...513902677#5513902677

Posts: 5197 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Frank Strong
posted Hide Post
Steve VW --- thanks for the link to the HWH power units. My Barth didn't have this much detail enclosed.

Frank Strong
1994 Regency 34ft
Spartan MM Chassis

Picture of Frank Strong
posted Hide Post
I have successfully repaired the electric motor on the leveling jack hydraulic pump --- at least for know. Don't know how long it will last.

I removed the end cap rather easily to find that two of the four brush springs had weakened and were not pressing the brush against the commutator. Overheating appeared to be the culprit due either to overloading or my loosining the terminal stud when repairing previous soloniod failures.

The brush springs were a rectangular shape not to be found anywhere so I just stretched them back to shape and replaced them in the brush box. Once weakened by heat they probably will not last long and I will have to replace the whole motor. But for know it works great.

Frank Strong
1994 Regency 34ft
Spartan MM Chassis

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
The brush doesn't know what shape the spring is behind it, if you can find a small spring that will fit in the holder you could double them up to restore force on the brush.

Be sure the connection and the braided wire lead to the brush are in good condition. If that wire breaks then the spring becomes the wire and gets hot from the current.

Do not be intimidated by these brushes. If you can not find exact replacements, shop around for any one that is physically larger. The brushes are made of graphite, really soft. If you lay them flat on sandpaper or a file you can mill them thinner really easily. Thickness, width, length can be duplicated/estimated from the remains of the original. I have made brushes for many old motors and generators by filing down larger ones this way. mechanic

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5197 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 01/08
Picture of Deb&Eds38
posted Hide Post
We had our pump motor repairs done at a Starter repair facility in Tallahassee. They were off the shelf parts and they did it the same day. I will try and contact the fellow who removed the motor and had it fixed to get the Business. number if you like

Ed.

Posts: 357 | Location: Ortona- Turkey Creek Florida | Member Since: 10-04-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post