Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Engine Compartment Side Entry Door
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Engine Compartment Side Entry Door
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of jer711
posted

Driving in a "high wind event" we discovered after we got home late at night that we lost the street side engine compartment door. Is there somewhere I might find a used one off a junker? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

~ 1990 - 32' Regency with 8.3 Cummins on Spartan Chassis ~

Posts: 67 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Member Since: 04-05-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
DAMN!
What a bummer.
I suppose it was hand made with dozens of individual louvers riveted into an alum frame. Must not be replaced with solid sheeting.

There is a shop in TX that specializes in vintage alum trailer restoration. Thought I had saved URL
But can't find it right now.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jer711
posted Hide Post
David, bummer does not describe how I feel..... stopped in north oklahoma to fuel and did my normal walk around checking all compartments with quick pull to make sure they are shut tight and visual on my tires, hand to the wheel hub to check for heat. All was good. About 250 miles later we noticed the door was gone. I have someone local who can fabricate me a door using aluminum grate or he can make some simple louvers. But it will not match. If you happen to track down the URL I would appreciate it. I will do some searching too.

Posts: 67 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Member Since: 04-05-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
The place I was thinking of for fabrication in TX is this: http://www.txvintagetrailer.com/
To duplicate the original could be costly.
You have such a fine coach, it would be a shame to just weld some expanded metal into a channel or square tube welded alum frame.
The louvers allowed for airflow, but not line-of-sight, into the not-so-pretty engine compartment.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Even if you could find a junker, I would suspect that the doors wouldn't even be the same size anyway.

Typically, you would build the coach frame and then skin the piece with body panels. At this point you would use aluminum sheers to cut the skin off and then build the doors to the effective opening of what you actually have left.

I had each of my lower compartment doors off on my Barth, and even though 2 were almost identical in size, you couldn't mix the 2 up and reinstall it. If you did, it wouldn't have fit.

Here's the writeup: "DIY: lower compartment door panels" that I did back in 2007.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougZ
posted Hide Post
Any sheet metal shop worth its salt will have a CNC turret punch press. They also will have louver dies. Take very careful measurements (=/- 1/64") and sketch up a drawing of what you need. Send it out to a few sheet metal shops and see if they are interested in helping. Be ready to pay a hefty price because the set up time is the same for one piece or 100 pieces.

W4JDZ

Posts: 567 | Location: Warrenton, N.C. | Member Since: 03-27-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jer711
posted Hide Post
After research, the cost to fabricate a new engine compartment door turned out to be too excessive for my taste. The more cost effective solution was to have 2 new doors made so that they match on both sides. Getting paint to match was turning out to be a nightmare so I decided on a simple black powder coat. For the money, it is the best I could come up with.

Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
without flash or direct sunlight, I cannot see what you ended up doing. Is it expanded metal in a frame?

Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
What did you do with the good one you removed? What was the quote for a new door? Is the door on the street side the same size as the door from the curb side?

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
Wasn't the one that blew off louvered? Are you concerned that replacing louvered doors with solid doors could create an overheating situation?

I think I would have built the frame and put stainless mesh in place of the louvers so air can continue to flow. Diesel pushers need air back there.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Moonbeam-Express:
Wasn't the one that blew off louvered? Are you concerned that replacing louvered doors with solid doors could create an overheating situation?
It appears that they made up a screened door assembly, painted it black, and put it on both sides. While not original, it does look way better than nothing and it can still breath.

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
OK, looked like solid, but now I see it is a screen. That's a Good Thing!

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/17
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
Do you live near a voc high school? If so, their sheet metal program might be able to fab a door for you very cheaply. One near me has done some great work for me.

R.P.Muise 1994 Breakaway/Cummins 5.9/Allison transmission/Spartan Chassis

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/11
Picture of Jim & Barb
posted Hide Post
Excellent idea about vo-tech school.

I had a 1941 Chevrolet that a slight miss in the engine.
I took it into the vo-tech and the instructor teacher said if you will allow us to completely take the engine apart the students will do a valve job, resurface the cylinder walls and put in new rings. He said you only pay for the parts.

When I got it back it ran like a brand new one.

Jim

Posts: 457 | Location: Port Charlotte Florida USA | Member Since: 06-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
This may not apply to Barth but when radiator and cooling inlets are designed for cars (and ships and airplanes)intake openings and geometry are computed to optimize velocity and quantity of air movement and further the shape and baffling is designed to flow air uniformly around and across the heat source. That said, the louvers would seem to me (unless they were not designed) to serve a purpose of directing air flow and allowing the rear doors to have a lower pressure area so as to suck out the hot air before it rises into to floor below the bed. It is very easy to bend the louvers out of 16 gauge aluminum and then fabricate the frame. They used rivets for most the work so a sheet metal shop should be reasonable. You might shop around. OH yes, know why the door blew off? The 1 inch steel tubing inside the compartment has rusted through and the rivets just fell out. Mine did the same as have others on this site.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post