Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Slow air leak
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Slow air leak
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted
After a year of frustration to try to find out why the rear air tank was loosing pressure, finally found the defective part.

When I first got the coach, I was chasing leaks everywhere, finally got all the connections tightened and some hoses replaced.

Then the front air tank would go down slowly, Hmmm, found the air pressure switch had developed a leak, Replaced that and in a matter of weeks same situation with the rear tank, again replacing that switch, solved the problem for awhile.

Then it was noticed that after about 2 days the rear tank was significantly lower than the front tank, soon the rear would be at zero pressure within 2 days, the front tank would stay at about 60-70 PSI. Months later the rear would be at zero pressure in 1 day, front still would only go to 60-70 PSI and hold steady for a week.

Still could not find the leak, Soon, the rear would go to zero in a matter of hours. On the return from Texas last month, I would watch the pressure cycle up and down (100-120 PSI) in a matter of 10-15 minutes with no actuation of the brakes.

Thru all this I have sprayed every connection, tank, hose, with leak detection fluid, dish washing detergent, and other fluids to try to find the leak. Yesterday I replaced the air governor on the pump, that wasn't it. So with air again in the rear began to trace forward from the compressor forward to the rear tank, nothing leaking.

Looking at the air tank I started to feel around and got to the pressure protection regulator, OMG, air coming out BIG TIME. This device is there to prevent a air lose that would run both front and rear tanks down in the event of an external issue. This device also can be seen in operation when first starting up as the pressure in the rear tank must come up to the opening pressure of the regulator before air is transfer or allowed to go to the front tank.

When getting the replacement part I found that the open/close pressure of the original unit was supposed to be 102/88 PSI. If I had known that I would have replaced that regulator years ago because it was opening about 70 PSI and closing about 65 PSI

New regulator installed and both tanks still have 110 PSI after 24 hours.

Regulator is the device with the green hose attached. Also note, I refer to front and rear tanks, well, it is really one tank but there is a divider in the middle so there are to separate sections.

Happy camper now

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
Picture of lenny and judy
posted Hide Post
I have red hoses did see green Lenny

lenny and judy
32', Regency, Cummins 8.3L, Spartan Chassis, 1992
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B

Posts: 790 | Location: Naples Florida,g.g. | Member Since: 02-06-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
All of my hoses are color coded, Green is tank 1 which is the rear brakes, Red is tank 2 which is the front brakes.

Started 11/27 afternoon at 120 PSI, as of today, both front and rear tanks were only down to 90 PSI Smiler

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post