Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Covered & plugged in?
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Covered & plugged in?
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/15
Picture of stringmann
posted
I was talking w/ a seller recently who is a pilot. He stated that even tho a MH, like a plane, is built to sit outside, he believed they should be stored inside and plugged in at all times. ie, he would not own a MH that could not be treated as such. I understand the basics of this, but I've wondered since that conversation whether many of you see that as necessary, or simply the ideal when practical? Of course, climate, (I live in atlanta), and how often it gets 'exercised', (if I were not FT), are significant to the equation. But I'm curious as to how some of you view this? thanks,

Posts: 118 | Location: Atlanta, GA USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougZ
posted Hide Post
If everyone felt this way, there would be very few motorhomes or travel trailers. The vast majority of homes here in America don't have the room for a motorhome garage. A garage capable of housing a motorhome would often cost more than the MH itself. It would be ideal if they could all be garaged, but I would have no problem buying one that wasn't.

W4JDZ

Posts: 567 | Location: Warrenton, N.C. | Member Since: 03-27-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
I absolutely agree. Plus, the low cost of a metal building that you can put up yourself makes it an easy way to protect a large investment, not to say anything about making it easier to work on. Unfortunately, many home owner associations and even towns, have restrictions on what you can build on your own land, when you can build it, where you can build it, how you can build it, etc, etc, etc. And some lots just aren't big enough. First thing we did when we moved to our daughters farm in Tennessee was to build a 40' X 35' building with a cement floor. Total cost, less than $10000. It's Tere's 'Girl Cave'. Wink

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
And we store airplanes at Davis Monthan in Nevada why? (And return them o flight as needed). IMHO we should drive them at least once a month (40-50 miles or 45 minutes) to keep everything working and lubricated. I do keep it plugged in - thus my earlier post on boiling out the batteries. My neighbors (nice SOB) bring theirs home on Saturdays to spit and polish for the same reason. We are both ready to launch our hurricane evacuation residences - at least I hope the IRS buys that.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
Years ago when I was farming the U of ILLinois published much data related to cost of various agricultural activities etc. One line stood out to me, it was the value for inside storage, 2-3% of the equipment annually. Not all of that equipment would be motorized but, with the possible exception of tractors, it is seasonal equipment used extensively when in season and left idle for most of its useful life.

Posts: 1068 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
It stands to reason that a properly stored, indoor kept, RV will last longer than an outdoor kept RV in terms of things that the elements will break down. Namely, paint, rubber, plastic, fabric, sealants, of which there are many on a coach. On the other hand, it isn't always cheap to throw up a large building as some parts of the country have hefty taxes for such. I think it then ends up a very specific analysis that weights the climate, value of the RV, cost of a building, desired length of ownership and ability to maintain cheaply. Some people, for instance, just trade up to a new one every 5 or 6 years. A little hard to do with a Barth. Others are very handy and will replace items that are showing age in proper time so a few more years of service may not be that cost effective.

There are other considerations that may not be as obvious. In the Northeast, for instance, we were plagued with roof cave-ins during severe snow in unattended out buildings. Another problem was always excessive humidity as uninsulated steel buildings heat up and cool down daily at a higher rate than conditioned buildings. Many boat people believe it is far better to store your boat outdoors with shrink-wrap than in an unconditioned building. I agree with that in general in the severe climates. Rodents can be a problem in older buildings too.

On my list the generic shelters would rank from ideal:
#1 Fully climate conditioned storage
#2 Open, shaded, roofed storage (like an RV-port)
#3 Large warehouse unconditioned, but insulated
#4 Just sitting outdoors, but well attended
#5 Inside a poorly conditioned shelter or Outside neglected (tied)

In all cases plugged in with a high end battery tender would be ideal.

Planes are a different animal in my view, they are required by law to have specific airworthiness and time dependent maintenance as well as costing more on average. For instance, I keep both my Gulfstream jets in fully conditioned hangars.........ha ha..........I don't really have two Wink

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
On my list the generic shelters would rank from ideal:
#1 Fully climate conditioned storage
#2 Open, shaded, roofed storage (like an RV-port)
#3 Large warehouse unconditioned, but insulated
#4 Just sitting outdoors, but well attended
#5 Inside a poorly conditioned shelter or Outside neglected (tied)

I think I would rate 5 above 4, at least in sunny areas with heavy dew.

I'm not sure what "inside a poorly conditioned shelter" means and how it is different from an "open shaded roofed storage, but my two cents is that, depending on where you live, sun and dew can really be big enemies. The two combine when the sun hits the dew on sunny mornings. And, of course sun shining through the windows wrecks upholstery fabrics and varnish. And if you drop the shades, sun will eat them up.

I certainly agree that if possible, a MH should be driven monthly. Out to full operating temperatures and then back at least once a month.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm not sure what "inside a poorly conditioned shelter"

Bill,

I'm referring to more humid areas where temperature extremes cause moisture to condense onto and into the vehicle. The better ventilation of the open shelter allows it to dry out quickly whereas in say, an unheated barn, the moisture can coat the vehicle for hours. Unlike rain, which saturates the outside skin, condensate attaches itself to all components that don't quickly equalize to the changing temperature. Obviously, the metal components don't do well when covered in moisture for long periods.

It is also an advantage to keep air moving in the vehicle at all times. this can be done with a rain sensing fan or a vent cover that won't allow rain in.

Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/10
Picture of Bones
posted Hide Post
In Chicago at the Museum of Science and Industry they have a WWII German submarine, the U-505. It used to be displayed outside but the weather took it's toll so now its in an underground climate controlled building.

Not even a submarine can survive Chicago weather.

Regal 25 built in 1989
1985 P-30 chassis
454 TH400

Posts: 212 | Location: Somewhere in the SW | Member Since: 03-06-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Moonbeam-Express:

Bill,

I'm referring to more humid areas where temperature extremes cause moisture to condense onto and into the vehicle. The better ventilation of the open shelter allows it to dry out quickly whereas in say, an unheated barn, the moisture can coat the vehicle for hours. Unlike rain, which saturates the outside skin, condensate attaches itself to all components that don't quickly equalize to the changing temperature. Obviously, the metal components don't do well when covered in moisture for long periods.

OK, now I think I understand, and agree. Water bad. Sun bad. Sun and water double bad.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
quote:
In Chicago at the Museum of Science and Industry they have a WWII German submarine, the U-505. It used to be displayed outside but the weather took it's toll so now its in an underground climate controlled building.

I was probably about 10 when we went through that. Still remember it clearly, and the video of it's capture. Can't remember what we had for dinner 2 nights ago, Roll Eyes but that was an exciting tour.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3479 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
Same for the Saturn V Rocket at the Johnson Space Center. The gov't (that would be us) built a giant metal building with a/c to stop the corrosion caused by sitting outside.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
OK, now I think I understand, and agree. Water bad. Sun bad. Sun and water double bad.

Absolutely got it!

I did an accidental experiment in my car trailer a few days ago here in Florida. I used a hose to rinse out the sand and dirt on the floor and we had to leave so I shut it up. I came back an hour later and went to get something in the trailer and it was a sauna. The bikes were literally dripping in water. I opened the doors and in about ten minutes everything was as dry as a bone, but had I left it.....yuk! I also remember cold weather in my Barth with two dogs, two cats and three humans humidifying the interior. The windows were dripping wet and they were thermopane. The result over time peeled up the wallpaper around the window frames. I recall from doing experiments with O2 mask mics at my old place of employment that respiration is full of things like hydrochloric acid and salt, it's not just simple H2O.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
posted Hide Post
quote:
Planes are a different animal

.......yeah! you can't pull over to the curb if you have a problem

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
I'll take the Barth traveling down the road over the Gulfsteam anyday. There is a one Barth I know of that is stored in an old limestone Quarry cave. I use the Barth at home as get away den (2 teen age boys).Having to keep a M.H. inside sorta falls in line with building a barn over the house so you don"t have to maintain the house roof. I would love to have an inside maintance shop for the Barth, but at this time I'll try to keep a good roof, and the gas gauge going from F-E back to F as I travel. Do try to get out at least once a month. It's not the destination it's the journey.

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post