Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Siding
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Siding
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Due to rock damage, need to repair rocker panel immediately in front of rear wheels and have searched this site and found the following: Siding is HD aircraft aluminum Alcoa Tonecote 2024-T3 alclad .050 thickness; rivets are aviation-grade aluminum alloy, AN 425-AD x-y, where x is the diameter in 32nds and y is length in 16th. The person I've contacted to do the job has been performing structural repairs on general aviation aircraft and commerical jets for 27 years and has never heard of Tonecote, moreover, the Alcoa supplier in Phoenix has never heard of Tonecote either.
Rivet spec AN 425 AD is a solid rivet not a "pop" blind rivet, and are solid 2117-T4 alloy and have a 78 degree flush head, but AN 426 AD flush head with a 100 degree head has been recommended. Could someone clarify the siding specs and does anyone have the P/N for rivets, blind and pop? I want to make the repair so that it matches the original in both structure and in appearance.

Posts: 35 | Location: Buffalo, MO USA | Member Since: 09-11-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tonecote, is a primer added for paint to adhere, which allowed Barth to paint with some degree of certanity that it would stick. I believe I read such sometime ago on another RV site. I can't swear to such, but I believe that is the case. Does this make any sense? Where did you come up with the word, TONECOTE? Is it possible that Barth stuck that wordage to such, and is not a factory named coating? If I am wrong, it's the first time, hehehe. Dale

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for reply. Picked up the word "tonecote" in a posting from ironsides on July 15,2002, subject Sidewall Skin.

Posts: 35 | Location: Buffalo, MO USA | Member Since: 09-11-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
posted Hide Post
Toosahn,
I went and looked at the post that i made and you refered to. I believe that i got that info from part of a brochure that Dave had/has posted in the pictures section put out by Barth. I think it would have been one describing Barth structure and showing how they were built.I'll try to find it later or maybe Dave will come on shortly and it will spark his memory. There is a website about redoing Airstreams and if i can find it i'll post that also. If you do a search on Barthmobile.com i think it was posted here as well.
Mike

------------------
mike foster
83-35' regency 8.2 detroit towing 98 cherokee classic 4x4

Posts: 149 | Location: earlham,iowa-usa | Member Since: 01-08-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
posted Hide Post
Toosahn,
The info i posted about tonecote is on page 9 of the gallery of pictures. it is about aircraft aluminum construction. you have to click on that pic. to expand so it gets big enough to read and talks about the rippeled (my word) sides being .040 alchoa aluminum tonecote siding.
hope this helps some
Mike

------------------
mike foster
83-35' regency 8.2 detroit towing 98 cherokee classic 4x4

Posts: 149 | Location: earlham,iowa-usa | Member Since: 01-08-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just as a follow-up, got the Barth back yesterday from the aircraft restorer who did the body repair on the rocker panel and storage door. He did a super job, everything matches perfectly. Now to find the paint match, which is Sikkens Barth Silver. Called Sikkens and they haven't formulated that paint for years, but a paint chemist here thinks he can match it. If not, there's a fellow in Phoenix who mixes Sikkens paint, old and new shades. Tomorrow, will take a piece of the old painted metal and a piece of the new unpainted metal to the man here and see what he can do. Thanks for all your help.