Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Engine heater
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Engine heater
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted
The 93 Breakaway has a rocker switch that says 'engine heater'. I've never used it before but with all the cold weather we've had, thought it might be wise to use it before start up this weekend. Question: Does it work off the house batteries?(DC) or the engine batteries?(again DC), or AC as when hooked up to shore power? Is it the kind of switch that you have to hold in the 'on' position, or if not, how long would you allow it to stay on? Just don't want to push the rocker before I know what's going to happen.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
Jim it runs off 110 when on shore power or generator. On mine there is a plug in for it on the right side of the electrical area at the foot of the bed. The switch powers that outlet and the heater cane be plugged and unplugged for what ever reason. The switch I have is above the Data tag area.

If you have a rocker switch you may have some type of glow plugs but I have not seen any. Push on the rocker switch and see if when you release it resets back to detent.

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
72081169MC22C
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1387 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
There should be a 120 VAC outlet under the bed. The block heater should be plugged in to it. I found the heater was unplugged when I got mine. Like Dana, my coach has a residential switch above the driver's seat.

I use the block heater anytime I anticipate a start when the temp will be 55°F or under. Cold starts are hard on diesels, in spite of glow plugs, which only heat the air in the cylinder.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Rusty, what would an engine heater look like if I have one? Where would it be located on the 5.9 Cummins?

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
Jim, you won't see it. It is a small loop like an electric water heater element sticking inside the block (water jacket). But, somewhere is a 110V plug and cord for it.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
Jim
Look in the electrical area at the foot of the bed.

I have not seen any one(Breakaway) who has a heater who hasn't had an electrical outlet with only the heater plugged into it. The plug may be unplugged and laying near by.

Mine is to the right as you look at it. Right by the transfer switch.

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
72081169MC22C
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1387 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Jim, if you have a switch on the dash that is labeled "Engine Heater" it is possible that you have an intake air heater. That would be located on the engine intake area just below the right angle air intake coming from the intercooler. Many 5.9L had this feature and is NOT the same as the 120 VAC powered water jacket heater. The intake heater is usually powered by the chassis batteries.

There would be a heavy duty relay for this as the intake heater draws a LOT of current but only on for a short time.

My Breakaway doesn't have this but my previous trucks did

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Ed, I found the plug where Dana said it would be. Next question is I have the Breakaway plugged into a 15 amp receptacle. That's all I need when it's just sitting there because that's enough to run the converter/battery charger. But would it be enough to run the engine heater? Should I flip the breaker on the converter while I'm using the engine heater?
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
It is like running the toaster in the kitchen or a space heater in the bathroom at home. Just don't try to run a space heater, microwave or AC of the Barth while the block heater is live. Likewise, don't add another large load in the house or barn on the same circuit.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The block heater isn't a large draw. I will measure mine when I get back and let you know.

If the house batteries are up to full charge or nearly charged the battery charger isn't drawing much at all.

Did you find the switch over your driver position? Is that toggle switch on the dash an on/off or momentary switch?

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Well, it turns out the the 'aux heat' toggle switch on the dash is for the auxiliary heater that works off the engine radiator. Red Face So there is no switch on the dash that works an engine heater.
Unfortunately, there is an engine heater and it was plugged into a 110 outlet in the engine compartment and has never been disconnected as long as I have owned the Breakaway. Does that mean that the heater is probably ruined? I'll check to see if the breaker that operates that outlet is tripped. How long should you leave the engine heater on?

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
quote:
the 'aux heat' toggle switch on the dash is for the auxiliary heater that works off the engine radiator

I thought you knew that and had a whole thread devoted to it.

Having limited tools and instruments, I would put a continuity tester to the prongs of the block heater line cord and see if it is open. I am guessing it has burned out by now. Whenever it works, you might want to plug it in overnight prior to the day you will want to start the engine -- but only in cold weather.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
On my Regency the block heater switch IS NOT on the dash. It is overhead under the cabinet beside the driver.

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine was disconnected also when I bought it. Mine works just fine. I think the PO probably unplugged it because it is easy to overlook the switch above your head. The block heater should last a long time if engine coolant is always present.

I have used mine in the past in 30 degree weather and had it on for 4-6 hours.

I just measured the heater load power and it is 825 watts, roughly 7.5 amps. That measurement is cold and I would expect it to reduce a bit when it gets warmer.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Well, I could have looked. Guess the senility factor is kicking in. D'oh
First, overhead of the drivers seat on the underside of the cabinet, there is a regular residential switch clearly marked 'Engine Heater'. In addition, next to the switch is a red light that goes on when the switch is on. Then under the bed is a double receptacle clearly labeled
'engine heater' and that is what the heater was plugged into. So all is well. I'm just a little embarrassed that I put you all to the trouble of answering questions I should have been able to figure out myself. I guess at 76 I have a little leeway.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B