Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Battery Advice
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Battery Advice
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/12
Picture of Boonton Jim
posted
Anxiously awaiting delivery of my just purchased 25' 1985 Regal. I know that the house batteries are shot. Any suggestions on what to replace them with? I searched the archives and there is quite a bit of discussion regarding golf batteries and deep cell batteries. Initially the coach will be used for tailgating and possibly some short trips. I would expect that on game day we will be running two TV's, the furnace on cold days, interior lighting, and miscellaneous other plug ins. The coach has a 5000 watt Onan generator.

1985 25' Regal 454

Posts: 59 | Location: Boonton, NJ | Member Since: 09-26-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
Depends on how much room you have. Some of the small RVs only have room for a single battery. If you are tailgating you want to keep generator usage to a minimum.

If you can make room 2 6vdc golf cart batteries in series give you the most. They will provide 200 to 230 amp hours.

In all cases get a deep cycle battery.

Also get or make a roof exhaust extension. Get the exhaust up in the air. The are many ways to do it. I just use a coiled up stainless steel that I unroll hold in place with a hose clamp.

Be a friendly neighbor.

If you have the original tube TVs despose of them. LED TVs use a lot less power. You might also get lucky and find one that runs on 12vdc like I did. Found mine at best buy. It normally uses an external power unit and the input to the TV was 12vdc. Been using it for 4 years that way with no problem.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/12
Picture of Boonton Jim
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Believe or not I have not even seen my new coach yet. The seller sent me lots of pictures and I had a local RV shop inspect the mechanicals for me. That, coupled with the passion this group has for the Barth marque, led me to go ahead with the purchase. So, until it arrives I won't know how much space I have. I do know that it currently has a new battery to start the engine and 2 dead batteries for the coach.

1985 25' Regal 454

Posts: 59 | Location: Boonton, NJ | Member Since: 09-26-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Boonton Jim, I applaud the process you used to purchase your Barth. Hiring a local professional, finding a support group (Barthmobile), and even the shipping, has eliminated a lot of headaches. I've got the feeling, you're going to have a lot of good experiences with your motor home.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Our short unit only has room for one Group 27 house battery, so we have to conserve power when boondocking. LED lights use 10-15% of incandescent power needs, but we don't particularly like the realtively harsh light emitted. For compromise, we replaced half our interior lights with LED's. Using incandescents while on shore power and LED's while boondocking has been a win/win for us. Welcome to the forum!

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post