Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    battery tray, brake caliper, exhaust hanger etc.
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

battery tray, brake caliper, exhaust hanger etc.
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted
The topic is broad because those are some of the issues I have to resolve before leaving for Marin County, CA next week. On the way there, I plan to see the Grand Canyon, Bryce and Zion Ntl pks. So, I figured I would get a fresh oil change today. I did not figure on much of anything else. I should have.

Complete Truck Repair, here in Jackson, did a complete chassis inspection, rather than a quick lube and filter. It is a good thing they did. They found the chassis battery tray so rust that had it not been for the cables, the batts might have already fallen out. They found a front brake caliper leaking at the bleeder, which cannot be tightened to stop the leak because the seat for it is so corroded (probably explaining the pulling I sometimes felt on our trip to Brown County IN a few weeks ago). Exhaust system hangers (2) had rusted out. A steering linkage bolt loose (probably explaining the jiggle I felt sometimes felt on the aforementioned trip) .

The most disconcerting thing is that the shop says the brake caliper is sold only by Spartan and only as a complete assembly for more than $600 Mad
The shop probably won't have the exhaust hangers and caliper until Wednesday (from the factory less than an hour away) and that is the day I wanted to leave.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Contact BillyT - he installed reman calipers on the back of my coach - ~$250 ea., as I recall

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/17
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
Every year in the spring, I bring my coach to a reputable dealer and ask him to check it from one end to the other. It costs me a few bucks but it's worth it.

R.P.Muise 1994 Breakaway/Cummins 5.9/Allison transmission/Spartan Chassis

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Mogan, brake calipers are available at any major truck parts house. I bought a set of fully loaded calipers ( calipers and pads) for less then $300.

I recently put new pads in for less than $80.

In Jackson there should be a good parts house for you.

I live about 2 hours south of Marin County CA. I could meet you if I am home at the time of your arrival.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
Ed, thank you very much. I just called and LM for the shop telling him not to buy a loaded caliper from Spartan for $600+. left message what you said. When he first told me he couldn't stop the bleeder from leaking (even with a new one) he said a caliper would be $125. It was later when he called again and said the particular air/hydraulic caliper would be so much more. Chances are, you also have the EC2000 chassis with the same brakes (albeit later engine and more advanced 6sp trans).

Thanks too for offering to meet when I am in the area. If the recently-discovered issues do not delay my departure too much, I plan to see Bryce, SE rim of Grand Canyon, then head West on 40 to Bakersfield, up 99 to 41 and see Yosemite. From the park, West on 120, 580,680 eventually 37 to my sister's in Novato.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post