Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Shock cross reference help
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Shock cross reference help
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Fred & Cindy
posted
I am wanting to put Bilstein shocks on my coach but cannot find a reference for the original front shocks. I have called Spartan and they told me the original front shocks part number is Neway 900-44-794. The rear shocks are Monroe and I was able to cross reference them to Bilsten but have not had any luck with the front shocks. I have also called Bilstein and they are not able to pull up my Vin or make a cross reference. I would appreciate any help making a cross reference to Bilstein for my front shocks. Thanks!

1990 32' Regency, Wide Body
Spartan Chassis, 8.3 CTA Cummins
4 Speed Allison Trans
South Central Missouri

Posts: 356 | Location: Missouri | Member Since: 06-24-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of L78steve
posted Hide Post
It most likely be that there is not a cross to Bilsten.

Posts: 194 | Location: Hendersonville NC | Member Since: 02-02-2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
Check this website: https://www.rvchassisparts.com...vchassis/runApp?id=5
They have applications for Spartan chassis and should be able to help you choose, however; why use a car shock absorber company (Bilstein) to fit a bus? Neway has been building truck and bus specific suspensions a lot longer than Bilstein.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fred & Cindy
posted Hide Post
Tom, I was thinking Bilstein is a higher quality shock than Neway and Monroe. Is this not the case?

4 Speed Allison Trans
South Central Missouri

Posts: 356 | Location: Missouri | Member Since: 06-24-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
On the GM chassis the Bilsteins are considered the top choice. PO installed them on my coach and said they were a noticable improvement.

They must have increased damping since they require a slight modification to beef up the shock mounts.

Check a few RV sites and search for Bilstein. I never looked them up for a DP chassis.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5197 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
quote:
why use a car shock absorber company (Bilstein) to fit a bus?

Fred, Consider Koni if available for the Spartan Chassis you have. My Koni shocks are adjustable. The shocks have three positions for ride adjustment of soft, medium, and firm.
Tom is correct. Bilstein was great for the old VW. Not the motorhome. Could be they just do not make a bus shock in Bilstein suitable for your Spartan chassis. L78steve steted
quote:
most likely be that there is not a cross to Bilsten.
The reason being is that it may not hold up under your weight application. What ever you buy be sure the new shocks are for "Heavy Truck" and bus application, and not "LT truck" light truck application.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fred & Cindy
posted Hide Post
Thanks Kevin. The coach rides well on the interstate except for the occasional BAM!! when hitting even a small pothole. It also rocks badly on uneven roads or roads with dips and sways when on around sharp curves. I have heard some great things about Koni but also know they are quite expensive. Believe I will look at Neway like Tom mentioned above. I currently have Neway on front and Monroe on back which was the way it was originally built.... they may even be the original shocks.

4 Speed Allison Trans
South Central Missouri

Picture of Braley
posted Hide Post
Sorry, should change topic. Driving to Daingerfield, TX today and spotted a coach in a parking lot in Bogato, TX that really looked like an old Barth, maybe late 80 or early 90. Did not turn around for a closeup look, but wondering if there are any owners in this area.
Braley in Ohio

Posts: 42 | Location: Milan, OH | Member Since: 07-21-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
Braley, When you have better internet, use the eraser in the lower right corner of your post and copy it. Paste it to a Barth Sightings topic and then you can delete the original mistake. It is real simple and it keeps things in order here.

Thank you

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post