Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Engine / Chassis Batteries Draining while parked
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Engine / Chassis Batteries Draining while parked
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Hi Barthmobilers, I've noticed in the last 4 months my 2 chassis batteries (Breakaway) have been mysteriously draining on their own while the vehicle is parked. The batteries are less than two years of age, distilled water only and I charge them up completely when I return from each trip. I always keep the cables and posts clean. I do plug into shore power next to my garage but thats a seperate circuit anyway...right? I can't think of anything I've done in the last 6 months...actually I cleaned up my trailer wiring but it functionally works fine. Only two visible items that are ON is a digital clock over the doorway and a blinking alarm system LED..One thing that is different is recently (2 weeks ago) I removed the battery cables to clean the posts, etc. When I reinstalled the cables the alarm started blaring. After finally silencing the alarm, I noticed this LED on my dash is constantly flashing now. I'm guessing this is related to the alarm that I never use. But the batteries have been draining months prior to that anyway. Any suggestions on how to start the search for my battery drain/ Confusedleak?

Larry and Heidi from CA

Posts: 199 | Location: Costa Mesa, CA 92626 USA | Member Since: 01-05-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Chances are your batts are good, but check them anyway. Charge them fully, and let them sit overnight with nothing connected. Does the voltage stay up? Hydrometer?

Put an ammeter in series with the ground curcuit. Note the reading. Pull the big fuse. Any change? Pull the smaller fuses, one at a time. Any change?

I don't know your circuit, so I can't get real specific here, but start tracing and disconnecting positive wires until the ammeter goes to zero. Then follow that wire until you identify where it goes. Solenoids and isolators can be trouble spots. This is a good opportunity to clean connections, too.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good advice Bill..I don't think I own a ammeter but I will here soon.

Larry and Heidi from CA

Posts: 199 | Location: Costa Mesa, CA 92626 USA | Member Since: 01-05-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hilarlee:
Good advice Bill..I don't think I own a ammeter but I will here soon.

Take a look at one Sears sells. It is a digital multimeter with clamp on reading of AC and DC current. Nifty critter.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Say Bill, when I got home I realized my Fluke 77 multimeter has ammeter functionality. I put the meter in series with 1 of 2 RED load circuit cables. I forgot you said to use the grounded side...is the POS side method ok too? I set the meter to the 300mA DC Amperage setting and got a reading of 99VDC. I started looking for fuses to check and noticed the ignition key in the "accessory" position. How long has it been like that? I'm guessing maybe for some reason I started turning the key too far to the left to shut everything off? Anyway checking the meter it now reads "0".
Next I checked the second heavy RED Load cable and I get a reading of .13VDC...Is that significant? Again this is with the meter set at 300mA. It suddenly got dark so I havn't traced where these leads go. My guess is the second cable goes to the starter and the first cable goes to the front left power dist. panel?
So waaatttaya think of that .13VDC? I'm hoping I had brain fade and the key left in the "Accessory position" was the culprit. I took some readings and will keep taking readings over the next week or so..

Larry and Heidi from CA

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
.13 DVC doesn't tell you much. In any event, the issue here is current, as that's what discharges batteries. But I think you're on to something with putting the key into the ACC position - that can lead to a lot of discharge issues.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
Well, Larry, if you have a Fluke 77, you are getting accurate readings. I don't know how you are reading it, but I can send you the manual for the meter if you wish. That volt reading on the amps setting is confusing to me.

It really makes no difference where you measure current, positive or negative from the battery, as current is the same in a series circuit. I just said ground because it is often simpler, due to fewer wires.

At any rate, it sounds like you found the problem. I use a flashing red LED as a reminder for things I am likely to forget. Like the water pump or my electric radiator fan.

posted Hide Post
Yeah Bill, I don't know why the display indicates VDC either. I tested the circuit with the RED probe in the 50A position first....then the 300mA position. I have the meter set in the A-DC Current position too..This morning I isolated each of the two batteries so one battery is feeding one circuit and the other battery feeding the other. So I'll keep monitoring the voltage. I hope it was just brain fade and I turned the ignition key to the wrong position the last few times I parked. Either way, I learned a little bit more from you guys... Smiler

Larry and Heidi from CA

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
The easiest way I have found to locate a power draw...

1)Disconnect the ground cable and try to use (light) something. If nothing works for that circuit then step two...

2)Hook up your test light clip to the ground stud on one side and touch the cables with the test light pointed.

3)If you have no drain then the test light will stay off and you have bad batteries... If the test light comes on then you have a current draw condition.

4)trace out current draw by disconnecting all memory leads for anything that needs to save info... like a radio preset, clock memory, alarm system and recheck the test light. If it goes off then your done and there's no real power draw. If it stays on then start disconnecting fuses until the test light goes out. Reinstall all other fuses that will not relight the test light.

Thoses fusses that are out is the ones that are drawing power. Recheck by plugging in each fuse that's drawing power. The brighter the light the more volts it's drawing. A radio clock will give you a real dim lamp but an interior light will really light up the test light.

It works for me...

DO NOT USE AN LED TEST LIGHT FOR THIS!!! An led test light is easy to light up low voltage draw and hard to tell by looking how strong it's drawing.

I do this in the field all of the time to trace out voltage draw down conditions.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
I have been snake-bit by using a test light in series with a load. A bulb does indeed work fine in a certain range of current draw, depending on the bulb. But a higher load turns the filament into a fuse, and it lights up for only a millisecond. A lighter load turns the filament into a conductor, and it doesn't light up at all.

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
If you unhook the battery cable and a spark jumps out the cable and your arc welding with it then you'll have a problem.

Hilarlee doesn't seem to be talking about a 1-2 hour power draw down but something that seems to take a little while.

Chances are they will find a relay sticking, light in compartment on, switch on etc...

I too have been bit by using the test light method. If a relay powers down and then disconnects thru the magnetic coil there's might not be enough to pull it back to draw down again until you hook the batteries back up.

Most test lights have enough of a filiment to allow this to pull the coil back, mine does.

Use an ammeter if you have one. Try this if you don't.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
There is one thing - I caught it before I drained the batteries - I left the basement lights on once - and there's none in the battery compartment...

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
- I left the basement lights on once -...

One of my pipe dreams is a mercury switch on every basement door for a compartment light. Or a plunger switch like a refridgerator.

posted Hide Post
WOW, all this great troubleshooting advice! After isolating the two chassis batteries from each other but leaving each battery connected to its respective circuit, here are the readings after one week.6/27 12.74 12.72
7/5 12.43 11.90 The reading of 11.90 is from the battery wire going towards the engine compartment. I guess I'll take out the test light and start poking around the maze...I have a suspicion it has something to do with the stupid alarm system..

Larry and Heidi from CA

posted Hide Post
I disconnected the alarm system and tested the circuit for draw with my meter in series with the discharging battery positive post and the load cable. I still show a draw of 10.2 VDC. The battery voltage is 9.4VDC with no cables attached. So how can there be a 10.2VDC draw? The battery that is draining supplies the starter circuit. I confirmed this by following the positive battery lead down to the starter. I checked all the fuses on top of the dash and in the lower left front breaker compartment. No power found. The left front compartment is dead with the exception of power going to the main bus relay. So......any more suggestions Roll Eyeswhere I should check? BTW, the second chassis battery has been isolated from the draining battery and continues to hold a 12.6VDC charge.

Larry and Heidi from CA