Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Black water tank repair.
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Black water tank repair.
 Login now/Join our community

"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted Hide Post
Well, most of you experienced in such matters will find no surprise in the fact that I finally had to replace the tank.

I had another 'ground strike' last year which broke my repair.

I finally spent some big $$$ and had the rear springs fixed, as it sagged in the rear and the drain was about 3" lower than it should be.

After the springs were fixed, I could takle the tank without worrying that my new tank would get grounded out.

Finally done, no more worries about black water leaking...

Better an ugly Barth, than
a pretty Winnebago.

1987 Barth P-30 with 454
Former Hospital Board Room converted to coach by Barth in 1995.

Posts: 178 | Location: Lancaster, PA USA | Member Since: 07-30-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/10
posted Hide Post
It's encouraging that you found a suitable replacement tank, as I'm hoping to avoid this myself.

Where did you get your tank from and did you need many alterations for it to fit your Coach?

I would like to thank Bill H for his slurry formula (as well as all the other invaluable advice you have offered over the years on all subjects), it has worked for just over a year now, on a very big black tank crack, and it worked at the last minute and I would have been in a big jam if it hadn't.
I tried the 3M stuff before and it didn't adhere very long at all.

1990 32' Regency
Spartan Chassis
Cummins CTA8.3
Allison 4 speed

Posts: 70 | Location: WI | Member Since: 03-19-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
BUMP............FWIW, my Dec 6 post has been cleaned up a little with more PE information added.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Pictures of these repairs would be interesting to see. At least take one pic of before & one after repaired. That is all it takes sometime.I know it's hard to stop & take pictures while you are into a repair, especially a black tank leak.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Oh sure, the engine wasn't enough.. now he wants blackwater tank repair! So far I am blissfully unaware of these problems. Thumbs Up

I'm replacing all the Chicago T handle door locks on my compartment doors. Locksmith lesson/pics soon!

Finally got rid of my 4 ft dipstick. Put a normal short one in the doghouse.

Also, pulled front wheels and spare. Painting rims, mount new tires, rotate old one to spare. Rotors and pads look good! Also will pull rotor/hubs to inspect/repack wheel bearings... more photos! mechanic

The fun never stops. You can't leave me alone around Barth too long...I'll get into something!

oh oh, do I smell poo? confusion

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5193 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bill h:

3M DP 8005 is supposed to mend PE. I haven't used it yet, but I carry some with me now, just in case.

3M 4693H is also claimed to stick to PE.

quote:
Originally posted by Steve WI:

I tried the 3M stuff before and it didn't adhere very long at all.

Oh-Oh............

Which one was it, the DP8005 or the 4693H?

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post