Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Auto Fill stuck on
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Auto Fill stuck on
 Login now/Join our community

posted
We left the auto fill on a while back. Now she "autofills" regardless of whether the switch is on or not and the water spills out the outside filler cap. I believe this also may be the reason the water pump stays on. Any one know where this valve is located or how to "unstick it"?

jack !!!

Posts: 140 | Location: Los Angeles, California | Member Since: 09-03-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Mine was very close to the tank and pump. I replaced it with a manual valve for reliability.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Jack
posted Hide Post
This picture shows my pump setup. The Solenoid valve in the upper right quadrant of the picture is the auto fill valve.

The Control panel with the switch on mine has a relay and a sounder. When tank is full, sensors on the top of the FW tank operate the small relay on the control panel, which sounds the alarm, and shuts off the fill valve.
If you are filling the tank, why would you have the water pump on? It would just be adding pressure to the system, which is being serviced by the external water source.
Check for loose, broken or shorted wires in the control panel, or a fill valve that flows water with no power to it all. (as in stuck open)
Happy New Year to all.

------------------
89 Barth Regal 32
Runs like a Deere
New Hampshire

[This message has been edited by davebowers (edited January 12, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by Jack (edited March 20, 2004).]

Posts: 369 | Location: North Troy, Vermont | Member Since: 08-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks all. I'll check this out using your ideas and pictures. Jack we never actually had the pump while using the external water source. What i meant was, with the valve stuck open, the sytem is probably de-pressurised causing the pump to keep running. I think.
Thanks for the picture. The solenoid is that gizmo on top of the tank correct ?

jack !!!

------------------
Jack and Daiva
1988 Barth Regal

Posts: 140 | Location: Los Angeles, California | Member Since: 09-03-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks all. I'll check this out using your ideas and pictures. Jack we never actually had the pump while using the external water source. What i meant was, with the valve stuck open, the sytem is probably de-pressurised causing the pump to keep running. I think.
Thanks for the picture. The solenoid is that gizmo on top of the tank correct ?

jack !!!

------------------
Jack and Daiva
1988 Barth Regal

posted Hide Post
OOk. I see what you're refering to in the picture Jack. The solenoid is that yellow device/connection that has hte letters UL on it.

------------------
Jack and Daiva
1988 Barth Regal

First Month Member
posted Hide Post
Jack, if yours has failed, I'll see if I can find mine. It was working when I took it out and you can have it. My recommendation, however is to put in a manul valve if you like to pressure fill, and let the overflow take care of things. Or just gravity fill and let it run over at the filler.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you Bill. I really appreciate that. Let me tear into it first to see what I am dealing with. I'll let ya know.
jack !!!

------------------
Jack and Daiva
1988 Barth Regal

"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted Hide Post
The auto fill valves are notorious for failure.

They are a convenience, but usually succumb to hard water gumming them up.

Mine failed on our recent trip to Disney, and was the only inconvenience on the entire journey.

From what I understand, they are not cheap to replace, and the replacement is no better than the original for longetivity.

Replace it with a manual valve and forego the convenience. It will cost a fraction of the solenoid, and will be less likely to fail again.

Posts: 178 | Location: Lancaster, PA USA | Member Since: 07-30-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We think we have discovered the likely problem with our valve. It's not the solenoid itself but the valve not seating shut properly due to corrosion and pitting.
Bill H, which of these components did you say you had available ? If it's the valve portion and yours still works I would pay you for it as well as for shipping. I'll be snooping around locally for a replacement in the meantime.
Thanks
jack !!!

------------------
Jack and Daiva
1988 Barth Regal

First Month Member
posted Hide Post
Jack, We're headed for Quartzsite wed nite, and won't have time to look until after we return, so remind me again in Feb.

First Month Member
posted Hide Post
OK Jack, despite the absence of a "reminder in February", I found the valve and will send it as soon as I have an address.

Picture of Don Scalzo
posted Hide Post
I have a 33' '93 Breakaway and the valve and pump are both located under the sink and will be a bear to replace or repair.

Posts: 196 | Location: Apollo Beach, Fl. USA | Member Since: 10-05-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
I think the best auto-fill is a hand valve. Even with that I turned it on once and then took my daughter to the doctor. I got home just as the tanks (I have two big ones) were topping off. So now I put on some music and sit on the bed and watch it fill..

------------------

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
You can fill it faster by hand from outside, but you better hang around and watch, unless you don't mind overflowing the tank.

My long-unused autofill, filled the tank by itself with the switch off. I drained the tank, and flipped the autofill switch on and off for a dozen cycles, or so. Seems to work ok, so far.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post