Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    190 HP Cummins
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

190 HP Cummins
 Login now/Join our community

posted
How well does the 190 HP Cummins pushing a 30" Barth Breakaway work in the mountains? I will be towing a Jeep.
Would a Banks System be needed?

Posts: 8 | Member Since: 09-07-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 06/08
Picture of Raymag
posted Hide Post
What year is your Breakaway?

Real

1991 Breakaway 30Ft
5.9L Cummins Diesel
Spartan Frame
4 Speed Allison Model 542
Front Entrance
Firestone Ride-Rite Suspension

Posts: 126 | Location: Shefford, QC Canada | Member Since: 08-02-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply. 1992

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 06/08
Picture of Raymag
posted Hide Post
I don't have an answer for you but I will be looking for replies to your question. I asked myself the same question. I wonder how much you can safely pull with the 30', 190HP Breakaway without starting to have cooling issues with the transmission.

Real

1991 Breakaway 30Ft
5.9L Cummins Diesel
Spartan Frame
4 Speed Allison Model 542
Front Entrance
Firestone Ride-Rite Suspension

Posts: 126 | Location: Shefford, QC Canada | Member Since: 08-02-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raymag:
I wonder how much you can safely pull with the 30', 190HP Breakaway without starting to have cooling issues with the transmission.

Hmmm............if it really is just a matter of cooling, wouldn't a bigger or better cooler take care of any extra heat?

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am wondering what the overall preformance would be in the mountains. Up hill and down? bill h, do you think overheating would be a problem? How about brakes? I will have a tow brake system.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/16
Picture of coaster48
posted Hide Post
Hi Raymag
How do you find YOUR 190HP 4spd for mountainous. pulling? I know you don't have any mountains per se in Eastern Canada..sorry couldn't resist!!Do you think you would have concerns in the mountains with or without pulling a toad? I have talked to a west coast owner of a Breakaway with a 230HP,6spd, and he thinks that it is more than adequate here in the mountains. Just curious as I am in the market for coach.

1995 Regal 31 Ft.
Ford F 53 Chassis
460 EFI

Posts: 93 | Location: Sechelt,B.C. Canada | Member Since: 03-17-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't gotten a clear answer. Can anyone help?

The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
You're not likely to get a clear answer. Adequacy of performace, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.

A 190 Cummins, or a GM 454 is not going to take you over the mountains in top gear at the speed limit, but the Cummins has more torque so it should do better. Furthermore, with the turbo it should not suffer as much power loss at altitude.

You can find lots of information on the internet. For example, I just looked up the Cummins 190, & the GM 454. The current turbo Cummins is rated at 600 ft. lbs. of torque. One website sells a GM 454 crate engine rated at 500 ft/ lbs. The Cummins should be a better mountain climber.

My 33' Regal SE with 59,000 miles, and the original 1989 GM 454,has been up and down I-5 from Washington to So. Cal., and across the South end of the Sierra Nevadas several times at a gross weight, including toad, of around 21,000 pounds. I spent a lot of time in second gear, but nevertheless, I passed more big rigs on the hills than they passed me. That performance was OK with me, it might not be for you.

A 30' Breakaway is lighter than my Regal loaded with Corian counters, etc. With 20% more torque, the Breakaway should be able to pass me in the mountains.

With proper equipment, overheating should not be a problem. It hasn't been with my 454.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post