Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    1971 21ft Engine Specs
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

1971 21ft Engine Specs
 Login now/Join our community

posted
I just purchased a 1971 21ft Barth ... that needs a lot of work, Does anyone know anything about the engine specs, or where I can find them?

Thank you for your help!

Patrick

Posts: 5 | Location: Tempe, Arizona | Member Since: 10-12-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
350 or 454?

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
Almost any gearhead can just look at the engine and tell you whether it's a small block or big block GM. Why not forward a picture?

The problem with anything older and with an unknown past is knowing if it is the original. A small block Chevy will have a shelf just in front of one of the heads with an ID number stamped in it. With this you can trace its origin. I'm not sure where it is on a BB, but it is somewhere. A Google search will surely tell you.

You will also score points here on Barthmobile if you send a photo of the data-tag.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
21 footer from 1971 should be a 350. But, we have seen a few 402s from that era.

Do you have a vin#? It is located next to the master cylinder.

Do you have the "vehicle build number" of the coach? It is located outside the coach by the front left wheelwell - it could also be on a sales sheet.

The number, as shown in the lower photo, would be formatted like this. 7103 0912 MC

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Agree it's probably 350, but if it's the BB, it should be from the 1965-74 Mark IV era, putting the
engine numbers on the front of the block, just above the timing chain cover.

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, thank you for all of the help so fast, this is already proving to be a trying project!

Vin: PE371J634640 also found this: 7108978MC

More pictures will come tonight/tomorrow when I can get back to him.

Quick story, found a post for $375 on craigslist, picked it up for $175, hoping to get it running,restore it and enjoy it!

Posts: 5 | Location: Tempe, Arizona | Member Since: 10-12-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Small block, probably a 350 (but again, could be a swap). Color indicates it could be original.

Can you get the engine number? It helps to use a little sandpaper to sand off the grime.

Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will get in there tomorrow and find the engine number. Any recommendations on a carburetor?

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Vin: PE371J634640

For 1967-72 Chev/CMC trucks:

P = Forward Control
E = V-8 gas (size unk)
3 = One ton
7 = cab-to-axle dimension (42"-47")
1 = 1971 model year
J = assembled in Janesville, WI
XXXXXX = sequential build #'s

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Patrick Stevenson:
...also found this: 7108978MC
Could you take a picture of this number and tell us where you found that?
quote:
Originally posted by Patrick Stevenson:
More pictures will come tonight/tomorrow when I can get back to him.
Excellent! Looking forward to seeing them.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Any recommendations on a carburetor?

Looks like a Quadrajet set up to me, do you have the original? I would stay with the Q-Jet if it came with one.

posted Hide Post
We did not have the original carburetor, however have found a Rochester Quadrajet that we will hopefully be putting in tomorrow, while finding a battery and new cables (they've been cut) and working through the plugs and fuel/brake lines.
**and taking lots of pictures**

Any and all advice is much appreiciated, this RV sat for 4 years, looks like someone has clipped a few parts here and there so we are trying to figure out what we have, what we need and what is needed to make sure that we can get moving.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
Dump the intake manifold and get a Edlebrock Performer and a new Holley 650 carb and you will improve your power, mileage and not have the GM leaking casting plugs as on the Rochester.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom K:
Dump the intake manifold and get a Edlebrock Performer and a new Holley 650 carb and you will improve your power, mileage and not have the GM leaking casting plugs as on the Rochester.
I would, at the very least, pull the intake manifold off.

If everyone just willy nilly clipped wires, pulled parts off and stripped the engine... who's to say that a bolt isn't hiding out inside of the intake, waiting to be ingested into a cylinder.

Look carefully before running this engine. Severe damage will result if the above scenario plays out.

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
I agree with Bill. If you want a quick recognition of the engine look at the spark plugs, Small Blocks screw in straight and the big blocks are at a an angle to the side of the head.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post