Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Diesel Ignition Problem
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Diesel Ignition Problem
 Login now/Join our community

posted
I never expected ignition problems on a diesel powered rig but learned something when we experienced a major problem a couple of weeks ago. We were on I-70 in Ohio in our 94 Breakaway with the Spartan Chassis/Cummins 230 hp. While traveling at highway speed we lost all power, coasted to the shoulder and stopped. It seemed like an electrical failure since the rear camera screen would start flickering and go out before the engine stalled. We were able to restart and drive away only to have the stall repeated several times before we were able to exit near Zanesville, OH. We checked all the obvious battery connections and were unable to find the problem. I called Good Sam Emergency Service who referred me to a local service outfit. The initial outfit (who was booked solid) referred me to Lucas Truck Sales which was only a mile from the exit where we stopped. They put us right in the shop and pulled a mechanic off another job to help us out. He worked a couple of hours going over all of the major power connectors, cleaning terminals etc. without finding any real problem. The service manager then came by and asked him to check the solenoid marked “automotive batteries”. He had seen this type of solenoid fail on some of the diesel school busses they service. This is a 100 amp. continuous-duty solenoid that controls power to many of the circuits in the coach including ignition and rear camera. It is mounted on the circuit panel behind the access door on the front left of the Breakaway. An excellent circuit diagram is shown on the door to the compartment. The solenoid was hot to the touch. They were able to find an exact replacement at a nearby parts store, replace the suspect part and get us on our way after only 3 hours total. Since then we have travelled 1400 miles with no further problems. Needless to say, I now have a spare solenoid in my spare parts box. Thanks to Lucas Truck Sales for getting us back on the road quickly.
Obviously the ignition system on a diesel controls the fuel pump and solenoid (instead of the distributor, coil and spark plugs on a gasoline engine) and if you lose power to that solenoid, everything comes to a rather abrupt halt. It’s interesting to steer the 33 ft. Breakaway with no power steering so we were glad we were on a straight road with a wide shoulder.

Posts: 52 | Location: Staunton VA | Member Since: 01-27-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Huh!

I wonder if it would be practical to carry a spare solenoid? I used to carry a spare fuel pump for my Dad's 1978 Chevy pickup because they were so prone to failure. We ate lunch in a Chevy garage in our camper on time while the mechanic changed the fule pump under warranty... Well at least it was shady.

I'm glad to hear you happened into a really knowledgable accomodating garage. Maybe we should all put Lucas Truck Sales on our good guys list.

Best,

Bill

[This message has been edited by eugarps (edited August 29, 2004).]

Posts: 55 | Location: Hagerstown, MD, USA | Member Since: 07-24-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Man, isn't it great when things work out so well. And thanks so much for sharing it with us. From now on everyone who reads this and has the same problem will know where to look first.

33 foot Breakaway, my dream coach.

------------------

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/08
posted Hide Post
Yes it good to have spare solenoids our Barth has two on the fire wall in engine comp.After having trouble with one in Wy.We have spares for them and the ones in the front comp under and on the driver side.

------------------
Jay&Shelby 95 Regency 34ft. 300 hp.

Posts: 134 | Location: Harriman,Tn.U.S.A. | Member Since: 01-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Philipp>
posted
Of course, you know that by carrying a spare of anything will provide insurance in that this particular item will never fail again. That is until you loan it to a friend and are again without one.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/08
posted Hide Post
Yes that why I have Road service HOPING nothing happen while I'm on the road and carry spare parts,but sometime thing does happen!It funny these R.V. don't mess up until you are on the road!

------------------
Jay&Shelby 95 Regency 34ft. 300 hp.

Posts: 134 | Location: Harriman,Tn.U.S.A. | Member Since: 01-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HankWadley
posted Hide Post
Just a reminder to use the "search" facility when you have a problem...there are thousands of answers there. For example, I provided the solution to this problem in a reply in June 2002 to "neuvomex" who had experienced it too. We had it three times in the past before I discovered the problem.

The same solenoid (ST80) is used in some rigs to connect chassis and house batteries instead of an isolator. It works wonderful (no voltage drop) unless it fails...duh. First symptom in this case is your refrigerator fails in 12V mode long before you notice your lights getting dim.

Carry a spare? You bet. And actually used it once and bought another.

Posts: 58 | Location: Pell City, Alabama, USA | Member Since: 04-12-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/08
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of Eric Herrle
posted Hide Post
The item in question is called a continous duty realy. $49.00 at napa, etc. You can tell if they are bad when you turn the key on and nothing happens. I mean nothing, no lights, no low air buzzer, low oil pressure, etc, BUT the engine will still crank over.

Now for you shade tree mechanics out there you can get around a bad one and get home buy useing 4" piece of # 10 wire and jumping the buss bar.

This was the first and only item to fail on my Breakaway. Luckly I was at a friends house who was an electrical wiz @ GE and my other friend a bus mechanic on the phone.

Thank havens for the detail in the wiring diagrams.

Posts: 216 | Location: Kailua Kona, HI & E. Waterboro, ME | Member Since: 06-27-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post