Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    A rivetin' fool
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

A rivetin' fool
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/16
Picture of Quinn
posted
So, I'm a computer science guy, now a real estate agent. Buttery soft hands, and a tendency to have little honey-do jobs turn into 3 day marathons. So this is a big deal for me.

I got my stuff together: 1426 Astro Heavy Duty riveting tool, 3/16 closed-end aluminum rivets with aluminum mandrels and a 3/8- 1/2 inch grip range (how cool that sounds), and #11 drill bits, which seem to be a bit of a rarity:

We went camping last week for our kids' spring break at Casini Ranch (nice place to stop) and I figured that would be a good time to try them out. After poking around the front end, I found 37 rivets that were either gone or no long holding!! I drilled and replaced them:

Unfortunately, the driver's side had a bunch that had popped out, causing a big gap between the two panels. Someone had filled the rivet holes with silicone and the panel gap with a weird, very hard sealant of some kind. So now I couldn't get the outer panel to lie flat against the inner. I tried caulk softener (snicker) and it softened the stuff, but instead of an impenetrable barrier, I now had a horrible sticky mess:

Ugh. Some paint came off, there's still gap between the panels. Think I can just Dicor over this? Anythying else I should try to get the gunk off first?

Also, when I was drilling out the rivets, the head would more often than not break off leaving the body of the rivet in the hole, sometimes very annoyingly dropping in between the aluminum body panels. Does this indicate too big a drill bit?

89 28' Regal
Quad Bunks
P-30 454
8906-3623-28C-B

Posts: 235 | Location: San Leandro, California | Member Since: 08-06-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of L78steve
posted Hide Post
Shouldn't the bit be a 3/16"?

Posts: 194 | Location: Hendersonville NC | Member Since: 02-02-2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quinn
posted Hide Post
You would think, but Barthmobilers have suggested #11 bits. Barthmobile Bit Discussion

Maybe so the hole is clean? The rivets still fit closely after drilling. At least I think so, as it's the first time I've ever done it.

89 28' Regal
Quad Bunks
P-30 454
8906-3623-28C-B

Posts: 235 | Location: San Leandro, California | Member Since: 08-06-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of L78steve
posted Hide Post
A #11 is larger than a 3/16. A 12 is equivalent to a 3/16.

Posts: 194 | Location: Hendersonville NC | Member Since: 02-02-2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quinn
posted Hide Post
I believe bit sizes are like wire sizes. Smaller is bigger.

This Bit Size Chart says
3/16" = 0.187"
#12 = 0.189"
#11 = 0.191"

Which makes me think I should have tried larger rivets after drilling... hmm

Although we're only talking about 5/1000". Dunno.

89 28' Regal
Quad Bunks
P-30 454
8906-3623-28C-B

Picture of L78steve
posted Hide Post
If you have a hole that is too large for a standard 3/16 you can use a Tri-fold rivet.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of kenny j
posted Hide Post
I wanted to offer a few things on riveting. First off, a 3/16 peg will not fit in a 3/16 hole. I saw the rivet gun and rivets from Hanson Rivet. On there website, they have a chart showing what size holes to have, what grip range (how much material you are riveting thru). Also, google a drill size chart. Its all there. a 3/16 (.1875) rivet needs a.189" diameter hole. which on the drill size chart shows a #11 bit. Keep in mind that a drill bit does not drill a round hole. the thinner the material being drilled, the more triangular the hole will be. When I drill out rivets, I use a .156" (5/32) diameter bit. I drill thru the rivet, then use the drill bit to snap off the head. then re-drill the hole to .189 for a 3/16 rivet. Be carefull on grip range. A grip range must be defined with two dimensions. A minimum and a maximum. Example a .375 to .500 grip range rivet will only hold the pcs tight if the thickness of all pcs fall into this range. I hope this helps a bit.
Kenny

Posts: 186 | Location: grasston, mn | Member Since: 06-16-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Only 37 bad rivets? Cool… ROTFLMAO

37 down, ??? many to go! It seems to be a continual process of replacement.

Too bad someone goobered the gaps in. So much more work! head bang

If the rivets are closely spaced, I sometimes put small bolts through the holes to clamp the surfaces, then replace the bolts one at a time with a rivet while the surfaces are tight.

If the holes are blind you can find an airplane guy and borrow some Cleco clamps to hold the surfaces tight.

I have found some of the rivets have a steel mandrel which spins when trying to drill out. I use a punch to drive the mandrel out prior to drilling. The two step method from Kenny works well.

Good luck, keep us posted. Thumbs Up

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5197 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quinn
posted Hide Post
I'm using closed-end rivets. Is it overkill to fill the little mandrel holes with Dicor or some other sealant? Will water get in there and cause havoc over time?

Any suggestions for cleaning off the goop on the driver's side panel (pics above)? Denatured alcohol? Mineral spirits? Acetone?

89 28' Regal
Quad Bunks
P-30 454
8906-3623-28C-B

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
quote:
3/16 closed-end aluminum rivets with aluminum mandrels

Quinn, How much did you pay for your closed end rivets?

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
Kevin,

I hate leaks. I've used closed end rivets for 40 years. The last ones I got came from A m o z o n.

100 Rivets All Aluminum CLOSED/SEALED 6-4 3/16 x 1/4
Sold by: The Rivet Gallery
$20.70

I have drilled out and replaced or used to make repairs well over a hundred. I keep them around. I am always tweaking things on my aluminum fishing boat.

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
72081169MC22C
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1389 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quinn
posted Hide Post
I forget, might be able to look it up tomorrow. I think a lot more than $20.70 per hundred.

89 28' Regal
Quad Bunks
P-30 454
8906-3623-28C-B

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/17
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
try wd 40. It removes a lot of crazy stuff. ploader/RivetTools.jpg[/IMG]

We went camping last week for our kids' spring break at Casini Ranch (nice place to stop) and I figured that would be a good time to try them out. After poking around the front end, I found 37 rivets that were either gone or no long holding!! I drilled and replaced them:

Unfortunately, the driver's side had a bunch that had popped out, causing a big gap between the two panels. Someone had filled the rivet holes with silicone and the panel gap with a weird, very hard sealant of some kind. So now I couldn't get the outer panel to lie flat against the inner. I tried caulk softener (snicker) and it softened the stuff, but instead of an impenetrable barrier, I now had a horrible sticky mess:

Ugh. Some paint came off, there's still gap between the panels. Think I can just Dicor over this? Anythying else I should try to get the gunk off first?

Also, when I was drilling out the rivets, the head would more often than not break off leaving the body of the rivet in the hole, sometimes very annoyingly dropping in between the aluminum body panels. Does this indicate too big a drill bit?[/QUOTE]

R.P.Muise 1994 Breakaway/Cummins 5.9/Allison transmission/Spartan Chassis

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
A good place buy rivets online.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
To hold the work together after cleaning it out get some Cleco"s in the proper size (3/16), push the material flat put in a Cleco in the hole above and below the one you are going to rivet. They will squeeze the material together until you finish the rivet. Just move the Cleco's along so you have either a rivet or Cleco on each side of the hole you are working on. After a while it becomes easy. They can be bought at any aircraft supply (like Aircraft Spruce) and you only need a couple. Make sure you match the Cleco to the rivet hole size. Easy job and permanent. Once installed no need to seal the rivet. If you later paint the coach just prep the rivet like the skin, prime and paint. Then it is fully sealed.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post