Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    2 new TVs
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

2 new TVs
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted
Since the original 1990s vintage TVs will not work in 2009, this would be an opportune time to upgrade to modern digital ready hd flatscreens in the salon and the bedroom.
What are some recommendations as to the type or brand? Best way to mount a little bit bigger screen given the nice cherry trim we do not want to butcher and limited space, especially in the bedroom. Will the old aerial and cable hook ups still be adequate?
We are at the investigation stage and so any hints, tips, and good ideas as to good ways to install are greatly appreciated.
thanks
Don

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
This has to be one of the greatest dis-information campaigns ever run outside of politics! A year ago I had salesmen telling me that an analog TV would be totally useless after Feb. 2009. Then we found out that if you buy a converter you can still use your old TV. Recently the truth comes out that if you have cable or satelite you don't need anything. The only people affected by this changeover are those who watch analog TVs on an antenna signal. Overall not many, but among RVers quite a few. I am among those masses at this time and I'm not doing anything right now because my 2 TVs will function fine for Dega and the few other trips we have scheduled, and I haven't decided which route to go as far as satelite, new TVs, or boxes. I'll defer to others with more expertise at this time.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
Don, here is a post where I installed a 20" Visio with minimum changes to cabinets.
Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Flatscreens come in three versions: Flatscreen CRTs, LCD, and Plasma. LCD is the way to go, as the old-style CRTs are big, bulky, and heavy, and consume the most power. Plasma is also power hungry, somewhat of spotty reliability, and run hot.

LCD is the preferred choice. My personal preference is Samsung, but that's based on having used only those monitors in PCs I've built over the past few years.

I snagged an LG (formerly Goldstar) DVD recorder from Woot.com that has the converter built in. I'm going to replace the DVD-VHS player in the RV with that, as I have no need to play tapes anymore, transferring what I have to DVD. Although I have a satellite dish, there are times when trees prevent picking up the signal, and I use broadcast.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
To apply for your converter box coupon, and pay nothing, go to this site and you'll get 2 free coupons for your older analog TV Set or VCR.

https://www.dtv2009.gov/

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 06/08
Picture of Raymag
posted Hide Post
Don, here's the link to the detailled description of my installation of a LCD Tv in the front of my Barth.

The TV is a 20" Sanyo. It had the perfect dimensions for the hole.

http://barthmobile.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3431087061/m/...051064562#5051064562

Real

1991 Breakaway 30Ft
5.9L Cummins Diesel
Spartan Frame
4 Speed Allison Model 542
Front Entrance
Firestone Ride-Rite Suspension

Posts: 126 | Location: Shefford, QC Canada | Member Since: 08-02-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
I said it before, but I'll say it again, if you're getting a coupon, it's only good for 90 days from mailing date. See FAQ 13. Don't stick it in a drawer and figure you'll use it when the time comes.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Danny Z:
I said it before, but I'll say it again, if you're getting a coupon, it's only good for 90 days from mailing date.
I pretty much try to read all of the posts that are on this site. But, I didn't remember reading anything about a 90 day or 90 days time frame from you... so I did a search and used your name as the author. It came back to your "free trip" to the Bahamas on both searches.

While I'm not saying you didn't say it... I just didn't remember it. I know we've talked about the converter boxes before, but we've also talked about, for example, where to get a lighted grab handle "many, many times" and I thought it might be worth repeating to anyone who might still be in the dark.

My brother in-law got one because he is all analog. I still have a floor console analog TV set that is hooked up with an A/B switch to a rotating VHF/UHF antenna and a Cable TV Converter Box. So, I'm going to get one too, for the days that Time Warner decides it isn't going to run ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX or UPN feeds anymore or their cable service is down. Time Warner has a history of being heavy handed and I believe this will only embolden them more.

Thanks Danny!!! I didn't know that I only had a 90 day window, and if I did I forgot that little tid-bit. Thanks for reminding/informing me about that little "gotcha clause". Smiler

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one of the converter boxes and I actually get more channels in analog mode using the same amplified antenna. The digital picture is great when I get it, very close to the Sony LCD HD set I have linked to Comcast HD cable in a different location. The weak digital stations are fragmented, with no sound. I'm not sure if all stations are broadcasting in digital yet??

I think there are now LED HD TVs also. No bulb to worry about and vivid colors.

Posts: 136 | Location: IL | Member Since: 08-25-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
I just applied for mine.
quote:
from the DTV2009 website:
Your application has been approved. Your coupons are scheduled to mail on 08/08/2008.

Note that coupons do not expire until 90 days after they have been mailed. Note also that coupons are being mailed via Standard mail (not First-class mail), with delivery expected around 2-9 days from the mailing date.

Thank you for applying for a Coupon online.

Please print this page for your records; your application is reprinted below.
There is also a statement that says these coupons will only be passed out while quantities last. It doesn't say what the total numbers are for this giveaway.

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Here's a discussion about this subject from January, with my 90 day reminder at the bottom of the page. It was faq 9 at that time.
http://barthmobile.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3631087061/m/...211007792#3211007792

79 Barth Classic