Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    stupid mistake
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

stupid mistake
 Login now/Join our community

"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
posted
I've really done it now. Without posting the question first about the voltage I just figured that the 30 amp was 220 volts. Wrong. I think that I fried the inverter. Now I have to figure out how to fix it. It is buried under some cabinets in the bath area I think, at least that is where the hum used to come from. I was wondering if any of you ever worked on your inverter? Where is a source for a replacement? There is an electrical shop in town that is pretty good on figuring out electrical problems. I hope they can help me. I really feel stupid even having to ask for help.

Posts: 207 | Location: Port Townsend ,Wash USA | Member Since: 11-21-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<John Briggs>
posted
Check all the breaker first.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Dennis, may I ask how this came about? Did your plug fit into a 220 volt receptacle?

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First let me say how much this site has helped me. John, the breaker was tripped and after resetting the breaker the converter was humming again. Thanks for the tip. Bill, I have this huge power cord from the motor home that looks like you could supply a small town with power that has a plug for 220 and then a cord that adapts to a thirty amp style plug and then it has an adpator that plugs into a 110 volt plug in. I just figured that a thirty amp style plug set up was 220 volts. I guess that the thirty amp is used when you need power for the air. I might change the 220 volt plug in the shop into a 110 volt plug and put a 30 amp 110 breaker in the shop panel since I have number 10 wire going to that plug. Where is the male to male plug in when you need one?

Posts: 207 | Location: Port Townsend ,Wash USA | Member Since: 11-21-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/08
posted Hide Post
We have our Barth plug in to a 50 AMP 220 volts! If your is a 50 Amp you can use 220 volts!Don't use 220 on any 30 amp hookup!50 amp 220 volts--30 amp 120 volts!

------------------
Jay&Shelby 95 Barth Regency 34ft. Cummins 300 hp.
Spartan MM.

Posts: 134 | Location: Harriman,Tn.U.S.A. | Member Since: 01-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Hey Dennis, If your setup is like mine, and I bet it is. The large cord coming out of the side is a 50 amp chord. I plug in to 30amp all the time with an adapter like this

I even have one that can go from 30 amp to 120 v household like plug.

Your converter, is in your wardrobe closet. If you look there whould be a slanted grilled type of pressed wood in there. It should be loose. It is right under there. That is also a good storage place for belts etc. and a small safe if you have one..

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You're right Dave, my cord is just like the one in the picture. I found the converter in the closet just like you said. Neat place to hide things. I learn more from this site that you'll ever know. Barth motor homes are well thought out and it is a pleasure to work on them. I like to tinker and the Barth is right up there along with my old car and airplane when it comes to having fun. Dennis

Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Ya right Dennis, we have learned more from you than we can ever give back. Just keep feeling good and make sure when ever Deb and I make it to Port Washington all that snow will be melted and the salmon will be running.

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
Y'all may know this, but if not:
Modern RV Park pedestals have 50 amp, 30 amp, and 20 amp receptacles. Inside, the pedestal has two "hot" wires and one neutral plus a (green) ground wire. From hot to hot plus neutral gives 240 volts; from either hot to neutral gives 120 volts.
The 50 amp pedestal receptacle is connected to a "double pole" (240v) 50 amp circuit breaker by all four wires and supplies 240 volts to your RV in the FORM OF TWO SEPARATE 120V CIRCUITS. Your power cord has 4 wires: black(hot), black/red (hot), white, and green. Generally no appliances in an RV require 240 volts; otherwise they wouldn't operate off a 30 amp or 20 amp service as found in many campgrounds. Your inverter (probably) doesn't supply 240 volts, only 120. When you're plugged in to a 50 amp pedestal receptacle, you get 240v to your rig where it is divided and sent half (120v)to one part of the coach and half to the other part. For example, microwave is on one side and TV is on the other side of the service.
The 30 amp pedestal receptacle is supplied by one hot, one neutral, and one ground wire from a 30 amp 120v circuit breaker. When you plug your 30 amp adapter (shown in the post above) into the 30 amp pedestal receptacle electricity moves to your coach male-plug cord via one hot (black) and one white (neutral) with the ground (green) available as a safety; at your 50 amp male-plug cord only three of the 4 wires in your cord are used: black, white, green; the 4th black/red wire is not connected as there is not a 4th wire in the 30 amp adapter. In this configuration everything electric in your coach is off the same 120v circuit.
When one uses a 20 amp adapter it is EXACTLY THE SAME as the 30 amp adapter.
The purpose of a 50 amp service is (1) save the RV park grief (2) cut down on the size of your docking cord.
Generator: yes, your generator probably generates 240v. If in doubt, check the nameplate.
CAUTION: RV parks have been known to hook up 30 amp 120v service to a 50 amp pedestal receptacle (yeah, really).
Sea stories: I installed a 240v electric heater (Wyoming in Spring & Fall!!). My dock cord enters the coach in a compartment; I tapped in to the 4 wires and and installed a 240v breaker and receptacle in the compartment, and ran a cord inside. When I wish to use the heater, I turn on the breaker and plug in the 240v power cord. I also installed another 120v breaker and plug but have yet to use them.
This is long-winded and perhaps unnecessary, but I had fun doing it. Feel free to post corrections, amplifications, or YOUR Sea Story.

[This message has been edited by Gunner (edited January 10, 2005).]

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
I will add just one thing:
Our 50 amp Barths do not have 220 or 240 volts available in the standard configuration. It has two 120 volt hot conductors that read 240 volts when measured across each other. It is standard in RVs for one hot leg to run the rear air conditioner and the other hot leg to run the rest of the coach. I have not verified this on mine, as it is never plugged in, us being boondockers.

240 volts is available to you only if you do what Gunner did. Be sure to do it the way he did with proper breakers. However watts is watts, and it might be simpler to have more 120 volt heaters. If nothing else, the multiple heaters would afford more even heat distribution.

I have known of RVs with 240 volt dryers and electric stoves, too, which were wired across the two hots.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
"However watts is watts, and it might be simpler to have more 120 volt heaters"

Not reallY: a 1500 watt 120v heater pulls X amps, while the same heater on 240v pulls 1/2X amps; OR: twice as much heat for the same amperage draw. Watts may be watts, but amperage draw is the potential problem (30 amps will trip a 30 amp breaker). Not to start a discussion, just trying not to confuse folks.

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
Yeah, if you are really going for the max, you're right on that.

I wonder how many 120 volt heaters a 50 amp RV can take. Maybe six? Lots of heat, that.