Barthmobile Portal
air brakes

This topic can be found at:
https://www.barthmobile.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3631087061/m/1121039061

06-25-2005, 04:01 AM
coaster48
air brakes
Newbie Question!!!!!
Having only drivin' gassers, I was wanting to know if all diesel pushers have air brakes? The reason being is that ,as I get closer to deciding on what Barth, either gas or diesel,that I will choose, I want to be prepared for air brake licensing before purchasing. Can you help me here??? Also, I have a very steep driveway up to my home ( with turn around). Would a diesel necessarily be better than a gasser for torque in accessing this grade??
Thanx, Neil
07-03-2005, 12:02 PM
HankWadley
Neil,
I guess whenever the word "any" is used, my inclination is to say "No", but all diesel pusher models I am aware of have either air brakes or air-over-hydaulic brakes (like my 92 Breakaway).

I also live on a very steep hill, maybe not by BC standards, but I can barely walk up my 20% grade drive without puffing hard. However, my Barth literally leaps up it, especially after the turbo cuts in (I back up to the road). Perhaps even more importantly (since if I miss my parking pad the next stop is the boat launch into the lake) is that the brakes have no problem holding the fully loaded rig on the downgrade when I return, nor does the parking brake have any difficulty holding it. In fact, the parking brake held the unit on the downhill even when I applied power in first gear (just to verify what level of strength it had). Hope this information is useful.
07-04-2005, 03:39 PM
coaster48
Thank you Hank Wadley for the reply as it helps me get closer to being a Barth owner
07-04-2005, 07:03 PM
Eric Herrle
For what it's worth the parking brake on my 93 Breakaway stops it in it's tracks. It's a most unusual arrangement since it's actually on the drive shaft.
07-04-2005, 07:34 PM
DALE SMITH
I know that one can buy for a street rod a drive shaft brake. The one offered for street rods has a disc that looks like a regular disc brake on the wheel of a car, and we all know how much grabbing power they have by PINCHING. OUCH, THAT HURTS.

Is that how yours works on your Barth?

Dale

[This message has been edited by Smith Brother (edited July 04, 2005).]