Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Need a New Awning and Refrigerator
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Need a New Awning and Refrigerator
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
If the fridge has an ammonia leak, a new core should make it well - that's a lot simpler than replacing the whole unit. Conrad Bennett put in an inverter on mine that kicks in (when on) when the 120VAC is disconnected. The Norcold I have switches over to LPG when the 120VAC (direct or through the converter) is disconnected.

My Zip-Dee awnings have a catch (hook and loop) to engage when the awnings are stowed.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ken Pell, Jr.
posted Hide Post
Thank you so much Gentlemen for all the interesting discussions and guidance. Three things I have learned from reading through the last 10 posts:
- I have a LOT to learn about my Barth, my awnings and my fridge.
- I have found the right bunch of experienced enthusiasts to get all of my questions answered (many more to follow, I assure you).
- I am SO glad I am not a moderator and am fully comfortable with my limited edit privileges.
I will head to Iowa on 20 May to pick up my beloved Barth in Clinton and start the trek back across to Colorado. Mechanically, it took about $5,700 in parts and labor to make it fully road worthy. I still have the fridge, the awning, all the internal systems (water, gas, generator, heating, AC, toilet etc.) to get through, as well as over $3.00 per gallon of gas at 6 MPG to get back home to Colorado. Now that's all provided my valve seats don't tank from unleaded gas use. Adventure? You bet! I'll be $10K into this little family heirloom project before you can say "flat screen TV"! I'll post some pictures when I get there and keep you updated on my progress. Sure hope at some place in the not-too-distant future I will get to meet all of you face to face. Thanks again for the information and keep the guidance coming!

Ken
'84 Barth Regal 28"

1984 Barth Regal 28'
1941 Indian Four
1931 Indian 101 Scout
1941 Indian Chief w/Sidecar

Posts: 32 | Location: Colorado Springs | Member Since: 02-04-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
From my Department of Redundancy Department: A major charm of a Barth is that it won't fall apart faster than you can piddle with it.

The major anti-charm is that, because Barths are hardy, durable coaches, they snuggle up to you and make insistent suggestions for "enhancement$". Be prepared for your Regal whining a bit for New Things... Smiler

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
As far as gas, I've never had a problem burning regular unleaded, and if I keep it under 70 I get about 9mpg,or even 10 at 60. With no cross winds it's fairly comfortable at 80 but then I drop to 5 or 6.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3479 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
posted Hide Post
Ken, we are in Florida right now but should be home next week. if you are taking your trek across I-80 west through Des moines we are about 22 miles west of the west mixmaster. we have a space to park with 50 amp hookup. 2 miles north of the interstate. downside is 2 miles of gravel and i don't even come close to the knowledge of many on here, ie...not real mechanical and electrically challenged. Wink
That offer goes out to ANY Barther by the way.

mike foster
83-35' regency 8.2 detroit towing 98 cherokee classic 4x4

Posts: 149 | Location: earlham,iowa-usa | Member Since: 01-08-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ken Pell, Jr.
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ironsides for the hospitable invite. I'll keep that in mind as I make my way across. I'm having some of the interior system assessments done at Terry Frazer RV in Eldridge outside Davenport. Depending on how long that takes, I may just take you up on the offer. I'll keep you posted as I get closer.

Ken

1984 Barth Regal 28'
1941 Indian Four
1931 Indian 101 Scout
1941 Indian Chief w/Sidecar

Posts: 32 | Location: Colorado Springs | Member Since: 02-04-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post