Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Barth Crawling
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Barth Crawling
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted
Now I admit I have a bit more mechanical credentials than some Barth owners (having been a marine engineer for many years, and being generally mechanically inclined), but I'd like to nag forum members about a few things that can be done with very little expertise.

By that I mean to point out the value of wallowing under one's Barth, seeking Truth (or leaks).

In the past three months, I've found (underneath my little darlin'):

1. A pinhole leak in the heater hose from the rear diesel to the heater core.

2. A slightly loose hose clamp on the water pump.

3. A leaky pressure switch on the driveshaft brake (activated by AT pressure)

4. A leaky exhaust elbow from the turbo.

I bring this up because any of these issues could have eventually resulted in underway issues. None was major, and all were of the kind that anyone could have found, even if he wasn't able to fix.

Then one has to contemplate greasing the fittings installed for that purpose. A hand-operated grease gun would be <$20, and a cartridge of Mobil 1 synthetic grease another $7. On my Breakaway, there are fittings on the steering shaft [2), the front suspension [2 per side), the steering gear [3 - Pittman arm and knuckles), and the driveshaft [2 - one each universal).

Not to be redundant redundant, but oil (or grease) is cheaper than metal...BTW, Dear Reader, when's the last time you had the front wheel bearings repacked, hmmmmmm?

So my point is that it's not rocket science to slither around under a coach to see if it has things that should be fixed, even if one isn't able to fix them oneself. But then again, it's only money

Am I nagging? Yes? GOOD!

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
If you have an older coach you'll probably want to stick a few zip ties in your pocket when you slide under it for inspection. There's a lot of lines and wires that can always be secured better. Pay close attention to the rivets all around the bottom, especially around storage compartments.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Amen! I've already had to replenish my ziptie supply (and I buy in bulk) due to having acquired StaRV II!

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
So my point is that it's not rocket science to slither around under a coach to see if it has things that should be fixed, even if one isn't able to fix them oneself. Am I nagging? Yes? GOOD!

I do some of my best thinking while lying on a creeper. Smiler

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
"I do some of my best thinking while lying on a creeper."
Yeah. Like: "If I disconnect this airline are the airbags going to deflate suddenly and crush me?" Or: "Should I have put blocks under the frame instead of relying on the Leveling Jacks?"

"You are what you drive" - Clint Eastwood

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Any more, when I get under (If I can get under on any particular day) I tend to fall asleep.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gunner:
"I do some of my best thinking while lying on a creeper."
Yeah. Like: "If I disconnect this airline are the airbags going to deflate suddenly and crush me?" Or: "Should I have put blocks under the frame instead of relying on the Leveling Jacks?"

Fortunately, the Pee chassis does not depend on anything but springs to stay off me.

Your post reminds me of a guy at work we called "Otis".

The Boeing 747 has a lower deck, served by elevators. He was in the bottom of the elevator shaft, with the elevator car above him, while he worked on an elevator problem.

For some reason, he disconnected a chain or clutch or something that caused the car to fall on him. He wasn't injured, but was trapped for a while. He was called Otis until he retired, after the elevator company.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
It must be nice to have your coach on a concrete pad so you can use a creeper - mine's on limerock, so I throw down a couple of anti-fatigue mats, and actually "wallow".

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
I must be nice to have your coach on a concrete pad so you can use a creeper - mine's on limerock, so I throw down a couple of anti-fatigue mats, and actuall "wallow".

Actually, my driveway has quite a slope. It requires either a tether or constant attention to avoid zooming down the driveway and into traffic. If I fall asleep like Roy, it's all over for me. We live on a curve, and people barely maintain control as it is.

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
My only gripe is that even though I use "anti-fatigue" mats, sometimes I actually get tired... Big Grin

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 08/09

Picture of Ray
posted Hide Post
I spent some time this weekend doing the Barth Crawl...
I had my digital camera and took a bunch of pics and was suprised at a few other things I found when I had a chance to sit at the computer and look at things a little closer .... Looks like I have a few more projects to do but I am learning where stuff is...

1990 28' Barth - John Deere/Oshkosh chassis with 460 Ford

Posts: 110 | Location: Ormond Beach, Florida | Member Since: 04-25-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post