Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Analogue TV questions
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Analogue TV questions
 Login now/Join our community

FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted
I'm starting to see TV ads stating that the Feds are banning analogue broadcasts after sometime in 2009. The ads go on to say that if someone is on cable, not to worry - but, this doesn't address us with traveling coaches. It occurs to me that my analogue TVs should work in campgrounds and off a satellite dish (which I don't have), but the crank up antenna will be useless.

Any thoughts? Any experts? Will digital be broadcast over air?

It might be time to upgrade to HD, but I've really enjoyed the TVs in my coach because they are synced up to the same remotes. That allows me to control the front TV from my bed when I aim in that direction. Might seem a small feature, but with my 5 year old grandson, I can shut it off, set the timer, etc. without getting up.

Corey

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
In February, 2009 all TV broadcast must be digital. Analog TVs will not work without a converter. If you are on cable, satellite, or some other tuner you will be able to continue to use your analog TV.

The thing to remember is that if you are using a converter box or any other tuning device, you are actually using your TV set as just a monitor. The tuner is the outside device connected to the TV.

This applies to all TV signals. Do not confuse it with HDTV. Analog cannot be broadcast in HD, but digital can be broadcast in regular and HD format. The change in 2009 really only affects regular broadcast since HD already must be digital.

FWIW, I have six rooms with TV's and only two are are digital. Currently, installing a 20" Vizio digital TV in the Barth.
Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
Nick,
Will digital be broadcast over air and receivable through the crank antennae?
Corey

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by noble97monarch:
Nick,
Will digital be broadcast over air and receivable through the crank antennae?
Corey

Yes, it will be and that is when and where you will need a digital TV to pick up the signal. There will be converter boxes available if you do not want to buy a new TV. Hope this helps.
Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post