Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    roof leak to corrosion
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

roof leak to corrosion
 Login now/Join our community

posted
My water tank leak I've corrected but my roof leak has me stumped. Rivets are present on the vertical sides of the roof cap. On top on the horizontal part where the cap meets the roof none are present. I've coated the seam with a fibrous paint. Water stands in the low area near the seam that I will fill with more of the filler paint. Water fills the vinyl fabric over the fold down sun visors. I unscrewed the ends of the visors to let the water drain. Now I see corrosion under the paint on the driver and passenger corner posts. They must be steel to blister under the paint. The 5 lights on the cap seem to be okay. ted '77-21'toaster-I still love!

Posts: 38 | Location: roseville, ca | Member Since: 06-24-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/16
Picture of Kirk & Elise
posted Hide Post
Ted,

Leaks make one go crazy. There are some threads posted here that address roof leak issues... you have to dig in and search. I have a leak that can appear down low beside my driver's side wall (under the window) and spreads to the floor below the carpet. When I re-did the front carpet last year, I made a note of past water evidence as the old carpet came out. Now that I've completely re-done the roof, the water appeared only when I parked in the lower driveway but not when I parked in the upper driveway. Difference is the level of the driveway surfaces - one brings water to that front corner, the other takes it to the rear. Obviously, I now park in the position that takes water away from the leaky corner... and I don't think it's the roof anymore. I've searched here and one of the best document "finds" was a post by BillNY where he shared the experience of removing a driver's side window to repair/replace the caulking and flexible 'dope' around the window frame. That is to be my first project this year.

Maybe you should experiment with leveling and water run on the roof. Observe if it travels off the roof and hits a window frame... or some other potential opening on the upper side of the beast. Maybe you'll catch the gremlin after all. Best luck.

Kirk

1989 22' Regal

Posts: 183 | Location: Northwestern PA | Member Since: 06-14-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post