Barthmobile Portal
Dana 80 lubrication

This topic can be found at:
https://www.barthmobile.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3631087061/m/1083950877

04-14-2013, 02:53 PM
Gary Carter
Dana 80 lubrication
After searching the net and this site, I never was able to determine the capacity of the rear end. On some sites I found 4 quarts and another 31 pints and everything in between. When I replaced the rotor this winter I drained the differential. It took 9 quarts of Amzoil 75-90 to refill.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance
04-14-2013, 03:10 PM
Dana
Gary
Thanks as this is on the list of have to do as soon as Mother Nature lets me have a reprieve from the snow.

When I saw the title I thought you were over estimating my age and telling me I needed more libations to get Lubed!! cheers

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
72081169MC22C
Christened Camp Barth
04-14-2013, 04:56 PM
MWrench
A word of caution using Amzoil!

When I changed my diff fluid right after buying my Breakaway I used Amzoil and almost immediately it developed a whine, I had changed the diff fluid in my Amigo at the same time and it also developed a whine shortly after changing to Amzoil.

I changed the diff fluid back to standard non synthetic oil but the whine is still there. I used an additive later and it reduced the whine somewhat.

Two identical experiences for me is enough to avoid a third. Rusty and I talked about this at the GTG and I believe that he has a similar comment.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater
04-14-2013, 06:05 PM
Rusty
Ed and I did pretty well slam Amzoil at the GTG; he has an Eaton diffy, so the oil may affect the two brands differently.

I replaced the cover on my Dana 80 with the aluminum one from Mag-HyTech. Mag recommended Amzoil. Over the years a rumble started in the rear end, but I wasn't aware of its severity or actual location until BillyT took it for a test drive for the chronic vibration issue I'd been having.

Billy jacked the coach and disassembled the diffy and replaced all the bearings, of which one was galled and 3 were marginal. Someone had messed with the diffy before I got the coach, and the backlash wasn't set right, but because there was no gear damage, I suspect the lube. Billy also replaced the rotors, calipers, pads and the driveshaft.

I now have synthetic 85W-140. One advantage of the Mag is that it's designed to allow a higher fluid level, assuring oil to the wheel bearings. Because the cover has to be flipped on a pusher, I made a dipstick to check the level, as the check hole is too high. IIRC, with the higher level, it took 8 qts.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields
04-15-2013, 03:44 PM
Jim and Tere
Rusty, whose 85-140 did you use? We recently changed the oil in the 454 using Amsoil 10w40 for diesel. The Amsoil distributor who does a lot of racing of BMWs says he uses the Amsoil for diesel in all of his gas engines, including the BMWs. What do you think?
J

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny
04-15-2013, 04:41 PM
Rusty
Valvoline. The AMZOIL website is very evasive about specs (ASTM tests in particular), so I don't even use it for door hinges.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields
04-15-2013, 10:37 PM
bill h
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
Valvoline.

Didn't you used to rec Kendall gear lube for diffies?

quote:
The AMZOIL website is very evasive about specs (ASTM tests in particular), so I don't even use it for door hinges.

LOL. they are all marketing and no product.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered