Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    bypass filter and new windows
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

bypass filter and new windows
 Login now/Join our community

posted Hide Post
quote:
The primary reason for adding is to increase oil capacity.

If this is your reason for doing this, Gulf Coast Filters offers a bypass setup that gives you an additional 6 quarts in your system. Install two and get 12! Paper towel filtration media is cheap too!

Mike

Posts: 142 | Location: Garden Grove, CA | Member Since: 06-09-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Paper towel filtration media is cheap too!

And better yet, of unknown capability! Are paper towels cheaper than metal? I'll leave that to the readers....

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
posted Hide Post
I just happened to have this double filter setup just hanging around. It will add about 2 to 3 quarts depending upon which filters are used. Thats about a 25% increase w/additional filtering plus the price is right. Its sitting in a box on the shelf.
Back to windows. I'm going to carve my first hole this week. Keep you posted.

Posts: 126 | Location: New Bedford, Mass. | Member Since: 07-22-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Would anybody know what is first in line the stock filter or cooler? That would allow me to load the courser filters first.

The factory setup is to send the oil straight from the pump through the filter, then through the oil cooler to the main oil galleries.

In practice, due to the small lines and cooler, most oil bypasses the cooler. And the visible outside diameter of the lines is only part of it. Have you looked at the ends of the oil cooler lines?

I have removed my stock cooler adapter, lines and cooler, replacing them with a thermostatic valve-equipped sandwich adapter using 1/2 NPT threads and -12 lines to a big finned plate Long cooler, also with 1/2 NPT lines. I have also replaced the bypass valve with a stronger one. I have full confidence that most oil goes through the cooler. With a 2 qt filter in the stock position, my oil capacity is increased considerably.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I also replaced the 3/8" lines going to a section of the radiator with 1/2" lines to an external cooler, to which I added a heavy-duty fan. When I get chance, I'll add a thermostat, as the fan probably doesn't need to run all the time.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
posted Hide Post
I guess my oil cooler is not stock. It is in front of the radiator. The lines look like 1/2 in and they originate from a plate between the filter and the block.

Posts: 126 | Location: New Bedford, Mass. | Member Since: 07-22-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
The stock setup on my 84 P30 was 5/16 or 3/8 lines with air-conditioner ends connecting a cast sandwich adapter between the filter and block to a heat exchanger tube the right side radiator tank. I think the lines were 5/16, but can't remember for sure.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shtym:
I guess my oil cooler is not stock. It is in front of the radiator. The lines look like 1/2 in and they originate from a plate between the filter and the block.

If they're around 3/4" OD, they may be 1/2" lines; the ones I got for StaRV II with the new engine are almost 1" OD - and were quite expensive - around $120 for 2x6' with fittings.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
I wish I was still young enough, and flexible enough, physically & mentally, to get into this kind of stuff, but at my stage of life, if it ain't broke, I don't fix it any more.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wish I was still young enough, and flexible enough, physically & mentally, to get into this kind of stuff, but at my stage of life, if it ain't broke, I don't fix it any more.

Roy, I was forced into it by the fact that the company that made my new radiator could not do the engine oil heat exchanger thing on the new radiator.

You know I would NEVER fiddle with something that weren't broke. Smiler