Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    LP Gas problems
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

LP Gas problems
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Tim House's beautiful '94 Breakaway is now in Michigan. Tim did an excellent job of not only maintaining this coach but also adding some nice additions to make the coach more convenient and secure. Unfortunately I did something I apparently shouldn't have and that is run it out of propane :-( Hey it was 95 degrees and I needed the air! Anyway I had it refiled when I got back from Jacksonville and the gal who filed the tank said it was only the second time she had done a motor home so maybe she did something wrong I'm not sure but the hot water heater, stove, furnaceswon't light and the refrig won't run on gas. The generator runs on propane and that fired right up so I'm a little confused. I disconnected the line to the hot water heater in an attempt to bleed the line of air but nothing comes out. Nothing comes out at the stove either. There are 2 knobs on the LP tank, one says Vapor and the other Liquid, neither were tunred off when she filled it and both are still on. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

As a side note I just want to again thank Dave for such a great site. Dave, Tim told me you were looking at this caoch when he bought it so I want you to know how great a job he has done in caring for this coach. Since I'm just using it as a cottage maybe I should sell it to someone who likes to travel, boy does it run nice!, and buy that '94 out in Washington since everyone seems to think it's not a good coach for traveling.

Posts: 75 | Location: Wyoming, MI USA | Member Since: 05-01-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Hi Doug, I am so glad you like that coach. Wow, what a beauty.. I am surely not an expert on this but have talked to a few guys who have had a similar problem. And for the 15 minutes that I sold motorhomes we had this problem with new coaches and other which sat on the lot for a long time. When the lines to your stove, frig are completely empty it really takes a while for the gas to get to the burner. Longer than you would think. Like a 1/2 an hour or more. We would have a guy take a stool and sit by the stove with a stick light and the gas all the way one and he had to wait and wait and wait.

So since you bled it dry I am suspecting that that's where you are at. I would get the stove first and then the others items should kick in. I think the tubing to the Kohler is probably a little larger in diameter and then the compression of the engine will suck the LP. With the other units it is just waiting for all of the tubing to fill up.

------------------

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Don Scalzo
posted Hide Post
Have you tried reseting the gas monitor? Mine is located down low onr the sink cabinet, While on the suject of LP gas: Linda was sure she smelled gas at the front of our '93 Breakaway. I took a spray bottle and sprayed soapy water all around the genset. I found very minute bubbles coming through the hoseline near the genset. Any suggestions on the replacement supply hose?

Posts: 196 | Location: Apollo Beach, Fl. USA | Member Since: 10-05-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Don, I'll check that out, I've tried Dave's suggeation and so far it hasn't kicked in, with so much to do I get antsy just waiting. I've always said if I had patience I would be a doctor. I have no idea about the replacement hose. Could you use regular copper tubing?

Posts: 75 | Location: Wyoming, MI USA | Member Since: 05-01-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
First time I found that hoses would leak thru the coating I was working on a dock with an oxy/acetylene torch and had about 35' of line in the water behind me. There were small bubbles coming out of the hose the whole length.
For an new hose I would check with a local bulk propane supplier, the ones that refill home tanks. If they don't stock the hoses they should be able to point you in the right direction.
Tim

Posts: 1068 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
I am sorry for not remembering, this has happened before, to the folks who sold Eric Herrle his coach. You have the have the LP detecter on or you will have no LP on your coach.

------------------

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/08
Picture of Eric Herrle
posted Hide Post
Correct! The generator will work with the gass detector off but nothing inside will.

Posts: 216 | Location: Kailua Kona, HI & E. Waterboro, ME | Member Since: 06-27-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Turning the gas monitor on did it. It's hidden under the dinette and was off. I really appreciate the help!