Tools
Reply To This Topic

polishing aluminum
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Lee, thank you so much. I was using the black silicon carbide paper, but fortunately, had not gone very far. The marks are mostly where the 6" wide light blue stripe is underneath the windows. The large area from the storage compartments up, is not so bad. I'll be painting the lower area, where the storage compartment doors are, a different color, probably aluminum, and then coating that with a clear guard of some sort to protect against chips. BTW, where can I buy Nuvite F-7?
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Best price for all Nuvite products & accessories is at: www.perfectpolish.com (free shipping too!)

A little goes a long way.....start with a 1/4 lb container of F-7....you'll probably have left-overs. When applying, error on the side of too little rather than too much...excess polish just lubes-up the surface and slows up the
process....A couple micro-fiber towels for hand rubbing will complete the process.

(Hint: Remove black smut from around rivet heads right after polishing....if you wait until the next day, you'll need a jackhammer! (Something I learned the hard way years ago Frowner

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
quote:
That Swift looks spectacular!

Owned by an AirBus driver from NJ......he figures about 300+ manhours involved getting to final finish....underwings & belly have the same luster.
...Made my Barth look like it just got a new coat of gray metal primer Frowner

I'd guess he needs to look over his tie-down spots, lest he start the woods on fire Big Grin

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sloop John B
posted Hide Post
When we see your Barth remind us to bring the sun glasses. Cool

JKB

88 28' Regal 454
Blue/Silver metalflake

Posts: 706 | Location: 103 miles west of Milford & 1.75 Miles from Lincoln oasis on I-80 | Member Since: 01-05-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of RichieC
posted Hide Post
Lee, every time I see your rig I feel slovenly. Smiler

Posts: 150 | Location: Nanaimo, B.C. | Member Since: 04-12-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
She who must be obeyed
and
me, Ensign 3rd crass
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted Hide Post
Jim:

When sanding aluminum motorcycle wheel hubs before polishing I have found using wet and dry 1000 grit, with water, WD40 or the lube of your choice and then switching to the polish was not a bad deal. Sanding with 400 or 600 is good for a quicker cut but switch to the 1000 prior to polish time.

So the fact you have sanded is not the end of the world.

I do agree with Lee the people at perfect polish have been very nice when I have called them.

Timothy

P.S. I started to polish parts of the Barth and then in rather short order developed a taste and love for "French Anodizing", we Americans call it corrosion.

P.P.S. I read that Airstream put a plating of pure aluminum on the skins of their trailers and that is why they polish up so nicely. The small areas of our Barth I started to polish came out OK but it was no mirror.

Posts: 282 | Location: Studio City, California | Member Since: 02-07-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
quote:
The small areas of our Barth I started to polish came out OK but it was no mirror.

Time, patience, aggravation, effort, sweat and money will improve that Timothy....(Notice that words like fun and enjoyment are missing Wink

Airstreams do polish-out faster than Barth aluminum.....but some folks who try it on post-1965 units don't realize they need to chemically strip the clearcoat first - makes for a real mess if ya try to polish aluminum underneath a soft plyable polymer coating.....I'd bet there's a lot more 5% polished Airstreams out there than units that are 100% polished Big Grin

Picture of vdubnut
posted Hide Post
I will be attempting this with my 73. Wouldn't have it any other way!

Have any pics before you do your yearly polish? I want to see how bad it gets. I started on a couple of sections... not too bad. Need the right stuff (F-7 Nuvite II) you think for an initial polish 1/4 pound will do it? Did you go strait to the Fine polish, or do you go through stages?

I have a 7" sander/buffer/polisher, and a Griot's Random Orbital... does wonders on paint, wondering if the dual head is essential, or if I can get away with the Griot's machine?

(Sorry to bring this post back from the dead)

-Mike

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
1973 25 Foot
P30 Chevy with 454
73021247MC25
Follow My blog
http://73Barth.blogspot.com

Posts: 39 | Location: Bellevue, WA | Member Since: 01-14-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted Hide Post
No need to be sorry! Every now and then I pull up this thread just to look at the pics of Lee's Barth. AMAZING! I have also pulled over in campgrounds a couple of times to admire the work of owners of old Airstreams afflicted with the same polishing mania as Lee. Thumbs Up

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Hi vdubnut, Always glad to see another Barth polishing project...kind of a misery-loves-company scenario Big Grin

Here's some basic info, observations and opinions:

How fast a surface deteriorates after polishing is primarily a function of the surface cross-section. The smoother the surface (microscopically), the less opportunity for oxidation to take place in the nooks and crannies. (Actually, the smoother the surface, the less surface area you have!) How long the shine remains "acceptable" is subjective, based on your own opinion, combined with exposure to local ambient air quality, humidity, acid rain, inside/outside storage, etc. Generally, a good quality polish job should last anywhere from 1-5 years, with some relatively easy seasonal touch-ups here & there. For me, I use the WOW factor.....when fellow campground guests stop saying "WOW!" when they walk by, I know it's time to start the process anew Roll Eyes

Sealing the surface after polishing will extend the life of the project. Polishing purists (mainly aircraft owners) tend to leave their projects unsealed, as any sealer will degrade final luster somewhat. Sealing also adds complexity to touch-ups, requiring the addded step of stripping the sealer. FMI:
http://barthmobile.com/eve/for...=717101153#717101153

Nuvite's F-7 grade is the workhorse of their product line - best grade to accomplish initial cleaning and polishing. For many, it's also the final step when polished out with an orbital polisher. Their Grade "S" can be used as the final finish after F-7, giving a higher luster if desired. In my case, the initial project used F-7, followed by Grades "C", "A" and "S". Once you attain the surface you want, Grade "S" is the only one necessary to maintain the luster - also the easiest & fastest grade to apply.

The dual-head Cyclo polisher is the industry standard for swirl-free final polishing, but any orbital polisher will do the job, maybe just a little slower. The main purpose of random orbital action is to remove the swirl marks left by the fixed-head polisher. Swirl marks on a large flat surface tend to convey an unfinished look and also indicate surface irregularities - the very thing you want to avoid.....

Lot's of info at: www.perfectpolish.com For first timers, their DVD's are worth the purchase.

Misc. Hints:

1. Clean the black smut from rivet heads ASAP (lacquer thinner is good)-Turns to concrete in 24 hrs!
2. Initial compounding pads should be 100% wool, twisted fibers, 3/4"-1" length
3. Micro-fiber rags are best for wipe-downs & touch-ups....cotton tends to impart micro-scratches
4. If you wash rags & pads in family washing machine, execute a pre-nup agreement before you're caught Frowner

Good luck......Holler if I can assist (The non-physical type of assistance you understand..... Smiler

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/09
Picture of robert and kimberly delucia
posted Hide Post
sounds like someone needs to hit craigslist got to free, type in washing machine . i have one in my shop and i put what ever i want in it

Posts: 204 | Location: unionville tennessee | Member Since: 10-02-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vdubnut
posted Hide Post
Thanks Lee! I'm sure I'll have more questions along the way. Probably won't try to start (seriously) on this for a couple more months, I hope to have it polished and painted by June as we are taking it to my cousin's wedding.

Have a few things to take care of inside before I attack the exterior, but I'm sure I'll be asking some questions as I go.

I'm going to go with a 1/2 Polish exterior. The top section around the windows is going to be painted to match the interior. (Bustle down in the rear, Hood and below in the front.)

I figure I might be able to get it done in a few weekends. Smiler

-Mike

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
1973 25 Foot
P30 Chevy with 454
73021247MC25
Follow My blog

Posts: 39 | Location: Bellevue, WA | Member Since: 01-14-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had great success with a product called NuVite
Check the pic. http://www.facebook.com/photo....1987.100001061237541

Picture of our Baby

Posts: 2 | Location: Canada | Member Since: 02-14-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vdubnut
posted Hide Post
John, I am not able to see the picture, says it's unavailable or I don't have permission to view it.

-Mike

1973 25 Foot
P30 Chevy with 454
73021247MC25
Follow My blog

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
This content is currently unavailable

The page you requested cannot be displayed right now. It may be temporarily unavailable, the link you clicked on may have expired, or you may not have permission to view this page.

*Return home
You need to re-set your permissions for us to view this.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post