Tools
Reply To This Topic

Walls and 'valences'
 Login now/Join our community

FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
If you don't think aluminum flexes, get a wing/window seat on you next plane ride!!!

There is this great type of wallpaper under-layment that will cover any gaps and allow painting or finish wallpaper over it. Can be had at any paint or wallpaper store. I'm trying to think of really interesting or unique applications. How about hundreds of old license plates?

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/09

Picture of garryp
posted Hide Post
It is 104 today on the shady side of the house. I have dallied one week too long for my summer departure. But while combination of working/watching a flick, I got carried away with a burst of energy and removed the ugly 'valences'. O should have done that 7 years or so ago! Did I mention that my Barth a/c is not working? When my computer providing the flick died due to the heat, I decided that it was time to take a 2 hour break.

Walls will wait till fall, so tell me everything you-ins do so I can make no errors!

Posts: 209 | Location: AZ | Member Since: 09-01-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of garryp
posted Hide Post
I pulled a little at the plastic coating. The luan underneath definitely looks recoverable, perhaps screw holes touched up. If the plastic can be removed without scratching, scoring or denting the lusn, little more may be necessary! I had not even given a consideration to an initial recovery of the luan, Quick temporary fix which could be upgraded at my leisure later.

Posts: 209 | Location: AZ | Member Since: 09-01-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I got carried away with a burst of energy and removed the ugly 'valences'. O should have done that 7 years or so ago!

Your inspiration fired me up and mine are all down in the front now too. Looks cleaner, bigger, more modern, but Cheri wants me to replace with wood ones later, like already in kitchen window. I left the bedroom ones as they are less obtrusive and keep the paparazzi from getting nude shots on the edges.

Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of garryp
posted Hide Post
Ok, I agree that the 'big' windows are wonderful. I also left the BR valence up. I do not plan on doing the BR, or at least not until last.

Since I am on summer travels, the walls will have to wait. - Just wonderin' did you have any progress on peeling the plastic coating off the luan wall? That is too waiting until return to the wheel-less house.

My immediate problem is that I am on a mountain top, 50 miles from the nearest service, and I do not have my sink stoppers. I can eat off of paper, but I cannot cook in paper. Dishes are stacking up fast!!!!!!!!!!!!

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/10
Picture of Patch1st
posted Hide Post
Gary, How bout the lid off a small butter container? The dash mount for your GPS? A coffee can lid? A CD case? A ziplock baggie? There has to be something there to use as a stopper....

Click for Saint Clair Shores, Michigan Forecast

Patch1st
35' Regency
MCC Chassis
8.2 Detroit Diesel
"Partly Cloudy"

Posts: 455 | Location: Michigan | Member Since: 10-17-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
-" Just wonderin' did you have any progress on peeling the plastic coating off the luan wall? "
Like you, I peeled a little back, but haven't gone crazy yet. I believe a hair dryer will help assist in softening the glue and keeping the vinyl pliable. I'll report when I get to it in earnest.
quote:
" My immediate problem is that I am on a mountain top, 50 miles from the nearest service, and I do not have my sink stoppers. "
Whittle some wooden plugs.

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by garryp:
I do not have my sink stoppers.

Tape?

Whittle one out of wood and use a couple of layers of piece of plastic bag or Saran Wrap around it to seal.

If you have an inflatable doll, cut a disk and lay it over the hole. You could also cut a disk from a vinyl shower curtain.

Do you have a dishpan or something that could be used as one?

If you have a tube of silicone rubber, you can mold one. Block the bottom with paper towel to keep the plug from bottoming out. Lay Saran Wrap in the drain and squeeze in the silicon rubber. When it sets up, it should push down in and seal. Don't forget to make a handle. Smiler

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
If you can't wash dishes without a sink stopper, you're not a camper. Any bowl, pot, kettle, or tin can, can hold enough soapy water to wash quite a few dishes with a sponge, or a rag, & they can be rinsed over a stopperless sink, or under an outside faucet, or even by dunking them in a stream, or pouring water over them..

Our kitchen sink at home has been stopperless for months because the plastic seat for the stopper has been damaged enough that it won't hold water. My dearly-beloved has at last nagged me into buying a new drain, but I haven't yet developed enough ambition to buy a little plumber's putty so I can install it.

Back in WW II, someone speaking of various nationals' reaction to problems, said, "The Englishman compromises, the Frenchman rhapsodizes, the American improvises." Which one are you?

Jeez, I'm cranky today.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of garryp
posted Hide Post
I did get of the mountain to the west side and got a metal strainer and a rubber stopper.

The strainer basket fit (they only had one). The jury is out on the rubber stopper. Maybe they will have another strainer when I go through there in several days in the moho.

But whittling? Yup, this is the place for whittling, boondockers haven.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted 06-19-2010 03:59 PM Hide Post
If you can't wash dishes without a sink stopper, you're not a camper. Any bowl, pot, kettle, or tin can, can hold enough soapy water to wash quite a few dishes with a sponge, or a rag, & they can be rinsed over a stopperless sink, or under an outside faucet, or even by dunking them in a stream, or pouring water over them..

Our kitchen sink at home has been stopperless for months because the plastic seat for the stopper has been damaged enough that it won't hold water. My dearly-beloved has at last nagged me into buying a new drain, but I haven't yet developed enough ambition to buy a little plumber's putty so I can install it.

Back in WW II, someone speaking of various nationals' reaction to problems, said, "The Englishman compromises, the Frenchman rhapsodizes, the American improvises." Which one are you?

Jeez, I'm cranky today.

quote:
Posted 06-19-2010 03:59 PM Hide Post

Jeez, I'm cranky today

You don't have to be an "old guy" but, it helps!

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of garryp
posted Hide Post
Dick, you sure as hell are cranky. One quote would have been too much, as the original was just one post back, but why any quotes? Shall I quote it a dozen times to get added emphasis?

You are welcome to your opinion, but all I saw was that you multi-duped someone else opinion.

I am entitled to be cranky too... especially when I have two sinks and only one stopper!

The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Let the world know that olroy went out & bought some plumber's putty, & now Grandma Wilson has a proper sink drain complete with stopper.

For any who may wish to duplicate this experience, be advised that you can fight for half a morning trying to unscrew the big nut that holds the drain in place. You can bark your knuckles, strain your back, create new combinations of swear words, & wear yourself to a frazzle.

Eventually you'll give up, have a cup of coffee, & begin to use your head. Then you'll get a chisel, give that skinny little nut one sharp whack, & it will fall apart in your hand. After that, you simply lift the useless drain out of the hole & install the new one.

It seems the older you get, the longer & steeper the learning curve becomes.

But I'm not cranky any more.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olroy:

It seems the older you get, the longer & steeper the learning curve becomes.

And, the older the plumbing is, the more cranky it gets. Mad

Roy, do you. by chance, remember GRG, the military plug valve grease? Sometimes it was called "peanut butter". It came in a can, and was originally intended for those brass valves that had a tapered core that rotated. It had a secondary, non-official, purposes as an anti seize and a gasket paste. I think it was a thickened synthetic oil. It's main virtue was its resistance to petroleum products and its ability to stay thick under an engine cowling. It was also notorious for being difficult to remove from one's fingertips.

Anyway, I am running out, but I put it on every threaded plumbing connection ever, and they always come apart with way less difficulty.

Anybody know where I can get some more?

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of garryp
posted Hide Post
Re-enlist?