Forums    Barth Upgrades and Improvements    New member, new Barth, lots of advice and info needed
Page 1 2 3 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

New member, new Barth, lots of advice and info needed
 Login now/Join our community

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DesmoPilot:
quote:
Originally posted by bill h:

Does Desmodriver = Ducatisti?

You are correct.

OK, which one?

My Sunday Bike is a 900ss bevelhead.

quote:
My second obsession, directly behind high performance VW's.

I went to that rodeo, but finally got burned out on the weak swing-axle transaxles.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DesmoPilot
posted Hide Post
Bill h,

First off, please let me say I LOVE your "Sunday bike". I have not worked up the nerve to obtain something quite that special. I still ride a bit too loose to be trusted on bikes with that level of historical significance. I have a 95 900ss and a 2000 Monster 780 that has been fully sorted and punched by Ferracci. They are wonderful bikes and magical in their own right, but it's just not a fair comparison to a 900ss bevel. Congrats sir.

Concerning the VW's, I am an R junkie. A Mk4 R32 @ about 285HP on KW's and quite a few mods/tweeks and a Mk6 R 2 door (First in the state!) that is now sitting at about 345HP. To say the R is fast is an understatement. It is one heck of a sleeper. The reliability is outstanding on these cars.

Posts: 16 | Location: Indianapolis | Member Since: 04-28-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
I get very close to 10 mpg with my quadra jet. Have some interesting plugs and wires and coil stuff that does it. And I keep it at 55/60 mph. I got that mileage when I drove it back from Arizona the first time, and the addition of a Gear Vendors really didn't change the mileage.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
Picture of Kris & Tina Jones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sweet. I like it without the windows. Plenty of information here to complete your project.

I agree. you have lots of wood to be able to impliment anything you like but I like the fact that she is windowless. Obviously the choice is yours and you will get nothing but support from all here. Sweet unit with very good bones and lots of power to weight. Probably about as structurally sound as a Barth can get as well as a very high R value for insulation I am sure. This would be a great coach to polish I think but it is easy for me to say as I am not doing the polishing Smiler

Posts: 486 | Location: Detroit, Michigan | Member Since: 02-13-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of dustyjeeper
posted Hide Post
Ya no windows..
But if you must.
How about a big window on the back and some large skylights.

1978 Barth 17' Cabin Fever
1997 Barth 23' 4 door Command Center

Posts: 505 | Location: LaSalle CO | Member Since: 12-05-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DesmoPilot:
Bill h,

First off, please let me say I LOVE your "Sunday bike". I have not worked up the nerve to obtain something quite that special. I still ride a bit too loose to be trusted on bikes with that level of historical significance.

I take it easy on Sunday. Smiler

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DesmoPilot
posted Hide Post
I think I'm starting to agree with you folks. I really am starting to like the "lunch box" look with no windows. The big reason I was thinking windows is due to a race weekend spent in 97 degree heat with the oppressive humidity we tend to get here. All I could think about was more windows. However, AC should take care of that little issue. Once again, this is exactly the thoughts I was expecting from a large group of enthusiasts. I appreciate all of it.

No windows it shall be, and I will be installing a second fantastic fan in the roof.

Posts: 16 | Location: Indianapolis | Member Since: 04-28-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DesmoPilot
posted Hide Post
As far as polishing......

I would LOVE that. However, I am afraid that all of my extra energies will be consumed this year simply getting this old coach up to snuff mechanically and proper on the interior. Maybe next year. I'm calculating square footage of exterior surface in my head right now, and that seems like it could be a LOT of work. I'm sure well worth it in the end, but a LOT of work none the less.

Picture of DesmoPilot
posted Hide Post
Sorry to be stacking my post count with so much useless posting, but another thought just hit me.

Any ideas how many window-less Barth's there are? Is this "bookmobile" configuration somewhat rare?

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of dustyjeeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
No windows it shall be

Cool Cool

1978 Barth 17' Cabin Fever
1997 Barth 23' 4 door Command Center

Posts: 505 | Location: LaSalle CO | Member Since: 12-05-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
quote:
orry to be stacking my post count with so much useless posting, but another thought just hit me.

Any ideas how many window-less Barth's there are? Is this "bookmobile" configuration somewhat rare?

There's at least one Big Grin

By the way, welcome aboard! I can already see you fit right in with this great group.

I think there are probably a few "windowless" Barths, all med, SWAT or bookmobile customers I'm sure.

I'm going to give you a little different advice, RVs need windows. It does look "Cool" or "different" without them, but you want the light, natural A/C and view of your surroundings. You don't need a lot, but two in the bedroom for cross ventilation, a large one on the dining area and a few across from the seating in the living room (generally your couch faces the curb side and the windows would be in the curb side). I think you will grow tired of living in a coffin very quickly, so don't make your decision based on preserving an oddity for Barth fans nono It won't be like cutting a sunroof ntp a 609 Camaro, I assure you.

You may consider scaling the window size to fit the small chassis. Thermopane are worth the extra if you can find them used!!!

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BarthBluesmobile
posted Hide Post
You will learn to love ebay. Presently there are new Hehr thermopane windows listed for $25, albeit needing the inner installation ring.

Matt

1987 Barth 27' P32 Chassis
Former State Police Command Post
Chevrolet 454
Weiand Manifold, Crane Cam, Gibson Exhaust

Posts: 528 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DesmoPilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Moonbeam-Express:
I'm going to give you a little different advice, RVs need windows. It does look "Cool" or "different" without them, but you want the light, natural A/C and view of your surroundings. You don't need a lot, but two in the bedroom for cross ventilation, a large one on the dining area and a few across from the seating in the living room (generally your couch faces the curb side and the windows would be in the curb side). I think you will grow tired of living in a coffin very quickly, so don't make your decision based on preserving an oddity for Barth fans nono It won't be like cutting a sunroof ntp a 609 Camaro, I assure you.

You may consider scaling the window size to fit the small chassis. Thermopane are worth the extra if you can find them used!!!

I am thrilled to be getting all of these great opinions! As I've said before, this is all new to me (RVs), and all advice and opinions are MORE than welcome.

I am not sure if I explained the predicted use of this coach before, but what I intend to do with it is take it to 5-10 races a year. Camping/parking at most of these stops, windows may not be ideal. For example, at the Indy 500, I camp in the "Coca-cola" lot. I am not sure of the exact size of that property, but I would guess somewhere between 60-90 acres. Last year there were an estimated 150,000 people in that lot camping. It can be best described as a "drunken bonanza" or just a "yard sale". You are quite literally packed in, every square foot of that lot is used. Even if Ihad windows, I would have kept them covered, if not closed. At these races, the Barth serves as a command center and escape from heavy rain. I spend nearly all of my time in a chair under a pop up.

Not sure exactly what point I'm trying to make here, but I don't think that I will be using this coach in any sort of scenic setting where windows would be excellent. I would like the breeze, or natural AC as you called it (I like that!), but I spend so little time in the coach, I"m not sure how much I really need windows. Plus, with coaches parked 6 feet apart or less at a lot of these
places, I am thinking that even if I had windows, the shades would be closed most of the time.

Ugh. I certainly didn't think windows would be one of the more difficult decisions I have to make.

A question.....how much of an exchange of air can I expect if I have the two forward side windows open, the door open with a screen door installed, and two fantastic roof fans running? Is that enough to keep fresh air moving through the coach?

I will try to find pictures of the coca-cola lot and post them. I'm telling you, it's nuts.

Thank you so much!

Picture of DesmoPilot
posted Hide Post
I found a few pictures of the Barth at the 500. They do not do full justice to just how packed in this lot gets.

And as a bonus........our converted keg turkey oven!

I am aware that these pictures would be better suited placed in the "pictures of my Barth" section of the forum, but I am posting these here anyways. Smiler

I guess my point is, using this coach how I plan on using it, windows may not be a priority. At least right now.

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Wow, that does get pretty busy at Indy. Burning Man has nothing on you! Looks like a major party. No windows might be a security plus..(on the other hand, we're short on gun ports to repel boarders!)
Bottom line, have fun don't work too hard!

I'm getting ready for Milford. Even if you can't come and stay drop by if you can, there will be a Barth show like no other and lots of good people. Not too far from Indy!

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5190 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post