Barthmobile Portal
Outside Radio

This topic can be found at:
https://www.barthmobile.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3431087061/m/758105821

07-19-2009, 03:45 PM
Bill N.Y.
Outside Radio
Several years ago I installed a Sony Marine AM/FM/CD radio in one of my lower compartment boxes.

It's worked rather well but it was always a pain to hook up the antenna. I would hook an external cable to a marine antenna and mount it to my awning. I knew that one day, I would eventually hook it up the right way.

When I was running the wiring for the Inverter, I decided to run the antenna cable into the same closet with the generator/inverter selector switch (other side of coach) and up into the roof.

To do this I removed an access panel and removed a section of the ceiling material. Because it was inside a closet, I decided to go bigger with the hole, rather than smaller.

Here is a cross section of what the material looks like in my coach.

You first have a layer of vinyl, followed by 1/2 green foam, then it's a 1/4 piece of plywood, still another piece of vinyl and 2 pieces of aluminum foil sandwiched above and below what looks like 2 pieces of bubble wrap glued together.

My coach has a vinyl ceiling, most of our coaches have a felt ceiling. Because my coach was a former mobile medical lab, I'm sure they chose this type of material for cleanup ease.

I now have a working radio without the need to run an external antenna cable anymore. Smiler

I know that this is a rather low tech install and I wouldn't have posted it... But, one of the things I wanted to show you was the ceiling material inside my coach.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message
07-19-2009, 09:03 PM
Rusty
Mine also has a vinyl headliner - handy when my pet gecko comes in with muddy feet.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields
07-19-2009, 10:47 PM
MWrench
Mine is also vinyl, Bill, looks like your insulation is about the same as mine! Hardly what I would call good.

Also I have water damage to the foam between the vinyl liner and the wooded backing, in that area, it is hard as a rock, a year ago I accidentally bumped that area and the vinyl split, haven't addressed that yet.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater