Reply To This Topic

Flooring
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim and Tere:
If Jim & I agree I may try to install it myself. I just want it to look nice.
Tere

Tere, take a look at Ugly Betty at the DC GTG. I replaced all the carpet in the front and rear myself. I found remnants that would work at the local carpet store for about $60.00. We have hardwood in the kitchen area and ceramic tile in the bath.

Now, I'm attempting my hand at reupholstering the window valances before the GTG.

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/11
Picture of Tommy B. Willis
posted Hide Post
Has anyone had any experience with cork. It has appealing qualities (sound & vibration reduction, insulation, fire, water, impact resistance). I am looking at cork unless someone has bad experience with it.

Tommy

Posts: 56 | Location: Central Mississippi  | Member Since: 05-26-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
quote:
We have hardwood in the kitchen area and ceramic tile in the bath.

Nick,
I did see your handy work in your mh @ raccoon mtn & actually admired it while hanging out @ your digs. I need to study it a little bit closer now that I've started something that I have to finish.

Is the ceramic tile 12 x 12s or smaller? What is the hardwood? Is the step hardwood too? I can't remember? Is it actually nailed into the subfloor?
Tere

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
quote:
Has anyone had any experience with cork. It has appealing qualities (sound & vibration reduction, insulation, fire, water, impact resistance). I am looking at cork unless someone has bad experience with it.

I once had a bad experience with taking too many out of wine bottles and drinking the
contents!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's what you meant, right?

Corey

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Carter:
Our kitchen had a wood floor, but we pulled up the carpet in the bath and hallway and put down 8" tile which fit perfect. And I screwed up by trying to use the household mud to seat them. So up they are going to come and will use a flexible adhisive to hold them down.

Gary, what adhesive and grout are you going to use?

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you use latex thin-set and epoxy grout, you will have no cracking.

corey

Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
When I redo the tile will use a product called "Lexel" to stick the tile down and probably use DAP (caulk) Dynaflex 230 as the grout.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Bill G
posted Hide Post
I agree with Corey. I tiled my bathroom in the Barth three years ago using thin-set mastic and have had no problems. I only used standard grout, but it is also still in original condition.

Bill G

Bill & Georgene Goodwin
92 (Feb.) Regency 36ft
300hp Cummins
Gillig Chassis (1990 build date)
2014 Honda CRV toad
10Kw Power Tech Gen w/ Kubota diesel engine
Can accomodate Barth visitor with advance notice

Posts: 515 | Location: West Springfield, Massachusetts, United States | Member Since: 08-31-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I learned about the latex thin-set and Epoxy Grout from a professional tile-only company here in NH. I was concerned about tiling a kitchen that is 35' long and 12' wide which transitions form one part of the house structure to another and is 150 years old with different forms of foundation. Oh yes, and gets shut completely down from heat in the winter!! I tiled it about 10 years ago, not one crack or chip so far!!

The company, Corriveau Routhier, had a demo strip of tile set on a piece of 1/8 plywood with this stuff. You could bend it a good 45 degrees in each direction without a problem. An additional benefit is that the grout needs no sealing and is impervious to just bout anything staining wise.

Corey

First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by noble97monarch:
I learned about the latex thin-set and Epoxy Grout from a professional tile-only company here in NH. I was concerned about tiling a kitchen that is 35' long and 12' wide which transitions form one part of the house structure to another and is 150 years old with different forms of foundation. Oh yes, and gets shut completely down from heat in the winter!! I tiled it about 10 years ago, not one crack or chip so far!!

The company, Corriveau Routhier, had a demo strip of tile set on a piece of 1/8 plywood with this stuff. You could bend it a good 45 degrees in each direction without a problem. An additional benefit is that the grout needs no sealing and is impervious to just bout anything staining wise.

Corey

I just love this site.

My house kitchen tile is botched (I think) because of flexibility and perhaps earthquakes. I think I'll try again with the stuff you recommend.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jsloan
posted Hide Post
Billh,

Is your house off the ground? if so, i highly recommend hardy board backing material I have tile in my house and the only place I have any real problems are those that don't have Hardy behind them. I have tried the flexible stuff under a trouble spot and still had trouble.

~Jeff~

1984 28' Regal P30

Posts: 148 | Location: Mississippi | Member Since: 09-13-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If hardy board is cement board, I did use that under everything.

Corey

First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsloan:
Billh,

Is your house off the ground? if so, i highly recommend hardy board backing material.

Yes, it's off the ground. And it has Wonder Board under the tile. It's a long story, involving change of ownership, but the Wonder Board got walked on, used as a floor for a while until the tile got put down. It had gotten a little polished from the foot traffic and cleaning before the tile was laid. Now, some of the tiles have cracked and some have lifted. I suspect the surface of the WB didn't allow good enough adhesion.

So, now, I will have to remove the WB (except under the base cabinets) and put down new, then tile. Or maybe, just really rough up the old and use super duper mud.

Advice?

I don't want to go crazy on this, as the house will be sold in a year or two, I hope.

Picture of jsloan
posted Hide Post
if the wonderboard is attached well, i would clean the old mortar off and rough up the shiny spots with maybe some 40 grit that should do the the trick. Especially since you are selling the place. if there are any real flexible places in the floor, you may want to reinforce them from underneath.

~Jeff~

1984 28' Regal P30

Posts: 148 | Location: Mississippi | Member Since: 09-13-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim and Tere:

Is the ceramic tile 12 x 12s or smaller? What is the hardwood? Is the step hardwood too? I can't remember? Is it actually nailed into the subfloor?
Tere

Sorry it took a couple days to get back to you. The ceramic tile is 8 X 8. Seems to be a good size for the area. The proportions look right. The hardwood floor is oak. Random length pieces about 2 1/2 inches wide blind nailed just like it would be installed in your home. The steps as well as the sides of the step well are all the same oak.

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post