Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

LCD/LED front TVs
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Yes you are right about the "static noise" better known as RFI, radio frequency interference, Unfortunately that is a byproduct of how the inverter works, some "modified sine wave" inverters are fairly clean.

Believe it or not, even my "true sine wave" inverter puts out a lot of RFI on certain bands and does indeed interfere with my ham radio operation.

I have a wireless printer in the bedroom closet and that really clobbers the new bedroom TV when they both are on.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Just reading all this intimidates me. Actually, electronics intimidate me. We misplaced our TV a while back, and this is making me glad. Smiler

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Carter:

The power supply is rated for 100-240vac and outputs 12vpdc (pulsating DC). If you put a scope on the output you will probably see 0-17vdc with 12 being an average.

Any power supply that is rated from 100VAC - 240VDC will be a switching regulator type and the voltage with be clean DC at a constant well regulated(not pulsating)12 VDC or whatever the label says.

The power supplies you are referring to are transformer types that have only a diode bridge to convert the lower voltage AC to DC and will be unfiltered. However power supplies made with transformer only can not be wide range to cover 100-240 VAC input.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Radio Shack sells voltage regulators that can be incorporated into a simple circuit to provide a regulated output. However, other devices (satellite receiver, DVD player, etc.) require 120 VAC so an inverter is usually the logical choice.

I have a Xantrex pure sine in te front, used to power the laptop underway and the entertainment gear when dry camping.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of carlflack
posted Hide Post
Looking for opinions and guidance to my logic. I want to install a 19" flat screen in "THE TOY". The original TV I'm guessing was a 12 vdc unit, the power cord had four prongs going to the back of the TV, and a cigerette type to the power box (it never did work)
In the storage compartment over the steering wheel I have a 120 vac receptacle(18" from back of TV). It is my thinking to use 120 vac only. If I need the TV other than being pluged in at a camp site I can use the generator, I.E. stopping for lunch on the road.etc. Any thoughts??.....

Former owner of "THE TOY"
1988 Barth Regal SE 33' Tag
1992 Barth Breakaway 32'
2005 Coachmen Mirada 32' DS

Posts: 592 | Location: North Fort Myers, Florida, USA | Member Since: 11-20-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a good plan Carl. The choices will be far greater and you could always power it off an inverter as an alternative to the generator.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
Took my TVs external power supply to the bench this morning and Ed was correct. Even though the label on the power supply shows it to be pulsating 12vdC it was a smooth at 13.85VDC.

I have run laptops off the MH battery for years. The first one I did had a 12vdc external PS and everything worked great including charging the internal battery. The second one was an 18vdc unit. The computer worked fine, but would not charge the battery. I have not tried my current laptop. As I mentioned earlier video monitors and now the TV. I'm happy.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of Bruce & Kathleen
posted Hide Post
Carl, or anyone else who is considering changing out your original TV's----
If you have the original AC/DC Panasonic TV and are changing it out to something newer, I am in the hunt for an AC power cord that plugs into the back of the TV and into a 120VAC receptacle on the other side. I have the cord that plugs into the TV and into a 12VDC socket, but need to change that over to working on a 120VAC system. So since folks are looking to make this change over, maybe I can find a power cord.......

9303 3855 33BS 1B
Bruce & Kathleen
1993 33' Front Entrance Breakaway
230HP Cummins 5.9, Allison 6 speed, Spartan Chassis, Nicely Optioned

Posts: 616 | Location: New Jersey | Member Since: 04-01-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of carlflack
posted Hide Post
Bruce & Kathleen: I'm afraid my cord is the same as your cord..........

Former owner of "THE TOY"
1988 Barth Regal SE 33' Tag
1992 Barth Breakaway 32'
2005 Coachmen Mirada 32' DS

Posts: 592 | Location: North Fort Myers, Florida, USA | Member Since: 11-20-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think I may have the 120 VAC cord for that TV, I have to look in all the mess I have to find it but I do think that I saved it, will let you know tomorrow.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am in the hunt for an AC power cord that plugs into the back of the TV and into a 120VAC receptacle on the other side.

The TV 120 VAC cord is standard - usually the same pin configuration as a PC.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nope not on the Panasonic, it has a keyed multiple pin connector that both the 12 VDC cable AND the 120 VAC cable plugs into, the pin connections of the two plugs (12 VDC cable or 120 vAC cable) are different and internally the connections determine where to route either the 12 VDC or 120 VAC.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

posted Hide Post
Bruce & Kathleen

I found both cords, the 12 VDC and the 120 VAC. PM me your address and I will send ASAP!

Geeesssh I better not clean up my shop, I will never find anything!

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
With all this old TVs getting kicked out all I can say: send them to me Wink - I will give 'em a good home. As a techno luddite I still fight the old VCR programming ... BTW I bought an "Anywhere TV" at Meijers for 74.99 in May. It is LCD 7", works on AC/DC but also got a rechargeable battery built in. Works good and easy to take anywhere (just like the name says).

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of Bruce & Kathleen
posted Hide Post
Rusty,
Unfortunately (I say that because I thought the same as you and purchased a cord), Ed is correct and those Panasonic AC/DC TV's take a completely unique cord that you cannot get anymore.
Ed,
I sent you a PM and an e-mail. Thanks for helping me out. Actually, you are helping the new owner of Barth 1, as I told him I would find the cord so he could use the TV in the bedroom.
And to All---
Once again I remind folks: Before you throw anything out please POST ON THIS WEBSITE what it is your getting rid of. Not that Ed was throwing out these cords, but this is a perfect example. They don't make these anymore so the only way to fix the situation is to find someone that has a spare cord or replace the TV.
You never know who might be in need of what when your changing things in your coach. And you may be able to help someone else before you "just throw it away". If these coaches didn't last so long it would be no big deal. But, you got a Barth and things are going to go bad well before the coach itself....
Oooooop's.... Sorry We REALLY got a thread drift going here...

9303 3855 33BS 1B
Bruce & Kathleen
1993 33' Front Entrance Breakaway
230HP Cummins 5.9, Allison 6 speed, Spartan Chassis, Nicely Optioned

Posts: 616 | Location: New Jersey | Member Since: 04-01-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post