Tools
Reply To This Topic

1975 23' Remodel
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/09
Picture of John C.
posted
Well it's starting sooner than planned.

Sat morning I start removing everything from the drivers platform to the rear window.

Our goal is to replace the subfloor on up to and including the ceiling. Reinsulate everything, enlarge the shower, eleminate the dinnete, reconfigure the couch/bed. Generally just update everything.

It has been remodeled once in the past, so keeping it 100% original is not realistic. We have been looking for a smaller coach that we could configure to our liking. Really it will be mostly my wife and myself so the 23' will be fine. If the kids want to come then it's tent city.

Have some chassis items that will be address and I will keep them in the Tech forum, thought I would use this area for interior upgrades.

Have a couple interior pics to post. The interior is not in bad condition. Lot of the motivation for this is that every system needs to be gone through anyway, and we really want to redo the bath. I have ran into a chassis issue that will require the removal of the shower anyway, so we decided to just jump in and go for it.

Will try to keep cost to a minimum, however I understand that when it's all said and done, I will have more into it than it's worth. I feel that even with that, if we can get several years of enjoyment from the ol-girl then it will be all worth it.

The chassis / body is strong and in good condition, We feel it's going to make a great platform for our project.

Had looked at several other brands and most where much newer. Most where 3 times the cost and where stick and staple construction. We figure that if it's lasted 34 years so far, 10 or so more are not out of the question.

Well

Let the fun begin,

will try to take photos along the way.

John

Now in Progress.

Posts: 64 | Location: Penryn Ca | Member Since: 08-28-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Yee Haw!! This looks like some fun stuff! The San Quentin decor in the bath will be hard to duplicate. ROTFLMAO Most of the rest looks good and shouldn't take all that much to make something of. I'll watch this post and chime in when I feel I can help, as I know a bunch of the others will. Good luck!

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3479 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
This one looks like it's going to be a fun project. Keep taking and posting pictures. Thumbs Up

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John C.
posted Hide Post
Day one of the Distruction.

Spent about 3 1/2 hours on this today and got almost one side ripped out.

First the boneyard

Little rust on top of the wheelwell

The Bath

Passenger side after today

Hope to get some time to do some cleanup tonight after dinner. Will try to get a few more hours on it tomorrow.

The construction on this is top notch. They just don't fall apart. Takes lots of big hammers and saws.

More tomorrow.

John

Now in Progress.

Posts: 64 | Location: Penryn Ca | Member Since: 08-28-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/09
Picture of Scott Stewart
posted Hide Post
Your scrap pile looks very familiar, Just went to the dump with our pile, It filled up most of the garage and smelled like squirrel PE. A Saws-All worked great for cutting the shower in half to get it out the door. Small leather module couches with storage at Target worked great for a sectional, and you can move them around to make a full bed.

Scott Stewart
612-490-3399

Posts: 46 | Location: Minnesota | Member Since: 06-13-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John C.
posted Hide Post
Scott,

How far down did you tear into it? I am thinking all the way to the frame even replacing the subfloor. It has a small amount of fiberglass insulation in it and would like to increase that as much as possible.

Do you have any pics of your work in progress?

thx
John

Now in Progress.

Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Lookin good! Well, sort of Wink. Here's a link to keep in mind for any tank replacements you might need. They set me up with a new waste tank when noone else could help me. Good guys that know their stuff. Keep the pix and updates coming.
http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/p...s_rv_accessories.htm

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3479 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John C.
posted Hide Post
I have delt with PPl before and they are top notch.

It has two tanks the one in the back is for the black and then a grey under the couch area. downside is that they are not connected and you would have to move the dump hose. I will look in to either one big tank or connecting the two.

Thanks
John

Now in Progress.

Picture of MHowe
posted Hide Post
Looks alot like my 78. Great pile of "Barth Guts" are you going to gut and replace everything? Would love to get a couple of the 12v square light fixtures if your not going to reuse them.
Mark

Posts: 23 | Location: Chicago Area | Member Since: 04-10-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John C.
posted Hide Post
It's going down to the frame. Have a couple soft spots in the floor so I think I am going to replace that also.

Don't think I am going to reuse the lights, but not 100% sure at the moment

PM me next week and I will know then

John

Now in Progress.

Picture of John C.
posted Hide Post
Well,

Junk pile is getting bigger and the coach is getting more and more empty.

some pics

was going to take up the subfloor, but it's really not in bad shape and it extends under the walls, so not enough reason to go there. Don't want to remove the body. Just going to patch a couple places and do some leveling.

more later

John

Now in Progress.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Now would be a good time to make a wiring diagram...Big Grin

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John C.
posted Hide Post
Got that rite,

was going to rewire the entire coach, but looking at the wires so far they all appear to be in great condition. The 110v is 12g and the 12v looks to be 16g, so they are not undersized. will do a closer inspection and a diagram. Will compare the wires to the blueprints that I have and see how close they are.

John

Now in Progress.

Picture of John C.
posted Hide Post
The flying Propane tank

Got the tank all the way out the other day, so today I knocked most of the coating on the tank off with a wire brush and sprayed it with an rust stopper (Ospho). It has to sit 24 hours then I will paint it. What I thought was rust pitting was the coating on the tank, kinda like a bedliner material.
Took the water heater out also so I could remove the wheel cover. Will leave the heater in and test when I get the propane system working again.

got a million more rivet heads to grind off before I start to put it back together.

Think it's torn down just about as far as I will go.

John

Now in Progress.

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John C.:
What I thought was rust pitting was the coating on the tank, kinda like a bedliner material.

John

Since you are doing such a good job on the rust, you might want to really check out the bedliner stuff. I have seen some horrible rust damage lurking undetected underneath spray on bedliner. It rusted right through, while everything looked perfect topside.

Another thought......You could gain some space and remodeling flexibility by doing away with the heater. We got rid of both of ours.

We use a Mr Heater Portable Buddy for warmth when it is cold, but we sleep with no heat, for safety reasons. This works down into the teens.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post