"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
GRASS 830-19
Will something like this work?

http://www.hardwaresource.com/Store_ViewProducts.asp?Cat=1160

This page gives you some good info and has detailed descriptions and documents on how to measure and mount a different style hinge.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The hinge in the picture is a standard 32mm european cabinet hinge used by many cabinet makers. You'll find them in many of the better kitchen cabinets sold today. Blum is probably the largest supplier of these at this point. Rockler, Woodworker Supply, Highland hardware, to name a few, will have them. There are different types (partial and full overlay) hinges. For example, full overlay hinges completely cover the frame with the door of the cabinet. My guess is you bought the wrong type. They should be easy to find, unless Barth did something strange here.

Posts: 136 | Location: IL | Member Since: 08-25-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
The problem with replacing the Grass hinges is the amount of overlay and the fact that it is a face frame mounted hinge. I have ordered Blum model 37C hinges with 1 9/16 overlay. I will mount one door with the Blum hinges and one with the Grass hinges to compare if doors line-up okay. The Blum hinges are better and cheaper than the Grass, it is just a question of lining up the doors and having the hydraulic pistons clear okay. The hinges should be here in a day or two and I'll keep everyone posted.

If anyone doesn't want to wait the hinge is from woodworkershardware.com (800-383-0130). Part number B039C355C.25. $1.85 each.

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
Picture of Medic37
posted Hide Post
I will be patiently waiting for the results of your mounting comparrison of the Grass -vs- Blum Hinges...

...in the mean-time I have swapped the broken part from the cabinet in the front of the coach with one of the hinges in the back, as to not have a cabinet door missing up-front.

The sad thing about-it, is that the actual hinge is not broken and is fine ...it's the wrap plate which has fractured right-along the 90 degree angle, separating-it into two pieces. If I could just replace the one wrap plate denoted as 19 [830-19], then I would be good to go.

I am also looking-at replacing the 20 gas shocks, as none of them work after 20 years and I feel the lack of stability provided by a properly operating gas shock, is placing un-due stress on the hinges and adding to the possibility of further premature failures.

Please keep-us posted!

~Mac~

1990 31 Foot Regency
Spartan Chassis
Cummins 6CTA8.3
Alison MT643, 4-speed
8905-0123-31RDS-A2

Posts: 259 | Location: Sand Creek Township, Minnesota | Member Since: 06-21-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
When the hinges broke on the overhead cabinet in the bedroom, I could not find replacements for the hinges made by Grass. I do a lot of wood work and am familiar with most type hinges, so my first reaction was to replace them with Blum 38N hinges that I use on most of the cabinets I build. I knew the offset was less but if I replaced all the hinges that shouldn't be a problem. WRONG. The normal 1/2 inch offset dropped the doors so much that the gas struts could not be connected and the doors would not align with the stationary wood on the sides of the cabinet.

Below is a picture of the misaligned doors with Blum 38N 1/2" offset hinges on the left door and the original Grass hinges on the right door.

I finally found the Blum 39C with an 1 9/16" offset from woodworkershardware.com (800-383-0130). Part number B039C355C.25. $1.85 each. They are inexpensive and superior to the Grass in my opinion. They are made out of stamped steel instead of cast pot metal. Below is a picture of the original Grass hinge on the left and the Blum on the right.

To show the importance of offset below is a picture of a Blum hinge with 1/2" offset on the left and a Blum hinge with 1 9/16" offset on the right.

Below is a picture of the doors properly aligned using Blum hinges on the left door and the original Grass hinges on the right door. I plan on replacing all the hinges with Blum but took this picture to show members that they can be used with the original hinges. However you should not mix the two on the same door.

The following picture shows the weakness in the Grass hinge and where it normally breaks.

The only thing I had to do when using the Blum hinges is redrill the two screws that hold the cup in the door since the holes don't line up with the holes from the original hinges. The gas struts went right back in their original holes and work fine. (Other than being worn out).

Hope this is helpful.
Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
This looks like a super solution to a very common problem.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 10/09
Picture of towerguy
posted Hide Post
I ended up "robbing Peter to pay Paul" by taking hinges from the bedroom and using them up front. This became necessary because I couldn't find any with the correct offset. I passed on the Blum because their offset was different as well.

Armed with this info and, especially the pictures, I submitted an order for six hinges.

Bill, Sharron, Hayley and Bridgett

1990 38' Regency Widebody [RDG-B), Anniversary Edition, Cat 3208TA - 300HP, Gillig Chassis, Side Aisle

"Stagecoach"
1990 38' Regency Widebody (RDG-B)
Anniversary Edition
Cat 3208TA - 300HP
Gillig Chassis
Side Aisle

Posts: 480 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Member Since: 04-02-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of carlflack
posted Hide Post
Nick: Good info to know. Some time ago about 2003 I needed two hinges from Grass. Due to a minimun charge, I had the remaining amount sent as additional hinges. I remember "OlRoy having the same problem so I sent one to him, used another one myself, and donated the remainig few to an unknown camper while I was still in Florida...........

Former owner of "THE TOY"
1988 Barth Regal SE 33' Tag
1992 Barth Breakaway 32'
2005 Coachmen Mirada 32' DS

Posts: 592 | Location: North Fort Myers, Florida, USA | Member Since: 11-20-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
You might find this hard to believe. I changed the other rear cabinet door to the Blum hinges today.
When I removed the door, there was an old paper bag stuck in the corner of the cabinet that I had never seen before. The bag looked like it had been there for years. Want to guess what was in the bag?

12 BRAND NEW BRACKETS FOR GRASS HINGES.

Anybody need some brackets?

Nick

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Cagle:
12 BRAND NEW BRACKETS FOR GRASS HINGES.
I could use 11 Big Grin

No - not really, save some for Real aka Raymag. He needs 4

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 10/09
Picture of towerguy
posted Hide Post
I ordered six of the Blum but, if for some reason they don't work correctly, I could use two if any are left by then.

Bill, Sharron, Hayley and Bridgett

1990 38' Regency Widebody [RDG-B), Anniversary Edition, Cat 3208TA - 300HP, Gillig Chassis, Side Aisle

"Stagecoach"
1990 38' Regency Widebody (RDG-B)
Anniversary Edition
Cat 3208TA - 300HP
Gillig Chassis
Side Aisle

Posts: 480 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Member Since: 04-02-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
I'm still planning on replacing all the hinges with the Blum hinge. IMHO they are that much superior to the Grass and for $1.85 each it is worth it not to ever have to worry about them again.

Towerguy and Raymag or anybody else is welcome to the extra ones if you need them. I will have the extra brackets as well as all the hinges I remove. Like the scams on TV and etc. The brackets are free and the shipping and handling is only$19.95 each. Smiler

Just kidding!

Nick.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
Picture of Medic37
posted Hide Post
Nick...

I only have ONE broken "other half" [I think they call this part the "Wrap Plate"], but I might be wrong.

At any rate, if you are doing a major replacement, I feel it would be most TIME and COST effective for me to possibly obtain a couple of your GRASS Hinges...

...I have enough irons in the fire at this point in time then to take-on any further projects.

Please contact-me OFF-LIST if this will work for you:

rmortis7@earthlink.net

Thankx!!!

~Mac~

1990 31 Foot Regency
Spartan Chassis
Cummins 6CTA8.3
Alison MT643, 4-speed
8905-0123-31RDS-A2

Posts: 259 | Location: Sand Creek Township, Minnesota | Member Since: 06-21-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Grass Tec 830 has now been completely discontinued and is no longer available.
Most overlays were replaced in the TEC 864 series.
The numbers on your base plates correspond to overlays.
The 830-19 wan 1 5/8" overlay and the 830-40 was a 1 1/2" overlay.
Overlay is how much the door overlaps the cabinet or frame on the hinge side when closed.
You can measure overlay by closing a door and on the hinge side, draw a pencil mark against the edge of the door on the face of the cabinet.
Open the door and measure from the inside edge of the cabinet to that mark...that is overlay.
There are some overlays that were not replaced in the new series.
Contact Cabinetparts.com, they have a knowledgeable service staff that will help you match your parts.
They sell the four major manufactures in the cabinet business. Grass, Salice, Blum and Mepla, so if a replacement isn't available in one company they may be able to match it with someone else.
Just keep in mind that when you jump companies, screw holes don't always match up on the door or cabinet.
But then again, at least the door is on.
They also offer a Matching Service, you can send the hinge and base plate to them and they will do it for you.
They also have Live Chat and email to ask questions.
The usual turn around for matched parts runs about two weeks or so.
They also sell alot of different products for cabinets.
If you need help go to http://cabinetparts.com

Additional help may be found here - contact us page

Posts: 1 | Location: Cabinetparts.com | Member Since: 12-09-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of carlflack
posted Hide Post
Thanks loads, this info may save a lot of confusion in the future.......

Former owner of "THE TOY"
1988 Barth Regal SE 33' Tag
1992 Barth Breakaway 32'
2005 Coachmen Mirada 32' DS

Posts: 592 | Location: North Fort Myers, Florida, USA | Member Since: 11-20-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post