Ceiling work
 Login now/Join our community

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
Has anyone ever tried/thought about using the off-white pebble-textured fiberglas panels?
I've used that stuff... Here is a post where I responded to DougZ.

This is what my door looks like with the center section done. Very easy to wipe down too.

Another thought... You might want to try a dry eraser board... I've got this stuff on my overhead pull down bed and it looks great.

No rivets, just double sided tape.

I've used the double sided tape for years to hold stuff up - here is some being used to hold the stainless panels behind the truck cab but on the front of the utility box for our service trucks.

Never had a panel come loose - stainless is much heavier and this is in a more severe environment. The key to this stuff is the prep to clean the 2 mounting surfaces. Also, once you place it on, you ain't getting it off. So make sure you're straight.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MHowe
posted Hide Post
Lee, lined my rear storage area with the fiberglass panels. Backed it up with thin plywood. Holding up very well, reflects light to brighten the storage area and water proof. I just rivited it in. Would think it would work great on the ceiling, but would need to back it up with plywood.
Mark

Posts: 23 | Location: Chicago Area | Member Since: 04-10-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've used the double sided tape for years to hold stuff up - here is some being used to hold the stainless panels behind the truck cab but on the front of the utility box for our service trucks.

The stainless panels all over my Wanderlodge are held on with a combination of the double sided tape Bill mentioned with Sikaflex gobbed on in the middle. The Sikaflex (or Sikabond as it's called at Lowes) is a more rugged than even the 3M or Scotch double sided tape, but when used together the tape acts like a clamp to keep the panels from moving in any direction until the Sikaflex has cured. I had to reattach one panel due to the tape failing on the top edge, but the Sikaflex had to be tediously cut off with a razor blade. Even when using the razor blade, some residual stayed attached. As Bill states, the tape is pretty darned good, but the Sikaflex is simply amazing. One Wanderlodge owner posted that there was no way you can remove the panels without destroying them. That is an overstatement, but it takes much patience to get the tape and Sikaflex to give up the ghost.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/10
Picture of Bones
posted Hide Post
I was watching an online show today about computer mods, they trick out PC cases etc. They did a demo of 3M 4010 tape where they stuck a 14 lbs Dell PC to a window. The part about the tape is 5 mins in. They revisit the "window" PC in later episodes too and end up with a keyboard and monitor all stuck to a window with this tape.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEAZ2oscQIs

If you like this kind of stuff they have a website also. Lots of neat painting tips and effects. I love watching the CNC stuff they do.

http://modmenshow.com/episode-guide/

Regal 25 built in 1989
1985 P-30 chassis
454 TH400

Posts: 212 | Location: Somewhere in the SW | Member Since: 03-06-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
I like the suggestion of textured 3/16 FRP. last time I bought the stuff was not from Lowe's or HD, but Bontraggers Salvage in Michigan. great stuff. ought not form condensation as much as aircraft aluminum does as interior wall/ceiling material. I remember the water running down the walls of my Airstream bubble with two adults and two children inside and freezing overnite temp outside. Maybe newer ones have a poly thermal break.
As for rivets through roof, DON'T. recently watched the promo video on Featherlite's site touting how they do not puncture trailer roof with hundred of rivets as many manufacturers do. Actually, FL does secure the roof with rivets, but with special equipment that blind rivets into, not through, the sheet metal.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
just ordered a couple rolls of 4011 tape through Amazon for an excellent price -- the one at the bottom of the captured text. got two rolls of 4011 plus one roll of 3M almost-clear duct tape for a delivered price of $13.70
3M Scotch 4011 Exterior Mounting Tape, 1 in x 60 in
by 3M
4.7 out of 5 stars See all reviews (6 customer reviews) | Like (1)
List Price: $5.90
Price: $5.24 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25. Details
You Save: $0.66 (11%)
In Stock.
Ships from and sold by Amazon.com. Gift-wrap available.
Want it delivered Friday, March 25? Order it in the next 21 hours and 26 minutes, and choose One-Day Shipping at checkout. Details
27 new from $1.69

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mogan David:
just ordered a couple rolls of 4011 tape through Amazon for an excellent price -- the one at the bottom of the captured text. got two rolls of 4011 plus one roll of 3M almost-clear duct tape for a delivered price of $13.70
3M Scotch 4011 Exterior Mounting Tape, 1 in x 60 in
I use the Scotch Outdoor Mounting Tape 411/DC that is more expensive.

I've never used the 4011 tape.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
Right, Bill.
I figured if three strips of 4010 holds the 14lb PC onto a window, 4011 (outdoor) should be adequate for my needs, indoors or out. 411, 4010, 4011 each is rated to hold 5#. thickness of foam/elastomeric tape may vary and some is grey some clear.
And, of course, a guy can never have too much (or too many varieties of) DUCT TAPE. recently enjoyed watching Red Green's full length duct tape movie on local PBS.

Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
After pulling the Max-air cover off and finding a shot seal around the vent itself, I kind of started over by stripping all the sealant and wire wheeling the area around the vent. Then I mesh taped the flange area and applied 3m sealant to the whole thing. First rain showed a little leakage so I found a pinhole where a rivit was and sealed it. Still a tiny leak so I found another pinhole. Sealed it and next rainstorm all was good. Then a buddy in the mobile home biz gave me a roll of peel and stick stuff, so I covered the whole area with that just for good measure. Last night we had a serious gully washer, and nothing, so I guess I finally won this battle and can put the Max-air back on. Saturday will be vinyl ceiling day. Tried the little sprayer with water today and it works really good. I'll wear my pro respirator when I do the contact cement in the coach and turn off the LP at the tank. Hope it's as easy as it sounds.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3479 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougZ
posted Hide Post
Danny, disconnect the AC from the house too. A light or other switch could make quite a show. Being the paranoid person I am, I might disconnect the battery too.

W4JDZ

Posts: 567 | Location: Warrenton, N.C. | Member Since: 03-27-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Got the first panel of vinyl up today. Went pretty good, learned a few things. Hard to see what it looks like in the pic, but it's a leather looking vinyl.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3479 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Getting the vinyl work done, and the moldings are being stained and laqued. This is not a project for low patience folks. I'm getting really stoked to show it off. Should be done for our campout with Lennie and Judy, or at least the East Georgia GTG.

79 Barth Classic

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com12/10
Picture of Gerald
posted Hide Post
Danny...Really looking good! Thumbs Up

1986 Barth Regal SE
34 foot tag - 454 Chevy
8610 3363 34TFPOB

Posts: 227 | Location: Aberdeen, So. Dak. | Member Since: 09-25-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
Looks great! Man I love working over my head. Makes me feel like I've been to the gym for a few hours when you stop ROTFLMAO At least I think that's how I'd feel if I ever actually went to a gym.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Very Nice Danny! Smiler

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis