Barthmobile Portal
Maple?

This topic can be found at:
https://www.barthmobile.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3431087061/m/476104811

07-01-2009, 03:09 PM
Kris & Tina Jones
Maple?
Hey, does anybody know what kind of wood this is? I will have to match it reasonably close this winter or the next.

07-01-2009, 03:20 PM
bill h
On my monitor, it could be maple or birch with a honey maple finish. But, who knows on a screen? The top picture looks much lighter than the lower one.

I would find a piece that had an unfinished area, like a drawer front or something, and take it to a real life wood guy. Do you have a Rockler's or Woodcraft near you or on the route of any travel?

The help in those stores comes in all flavors, and some of them really know their stuff. I learn a lot and spend a lot every time I go in.

Nice pictures. Van's really did a nice job of grain matching.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered
07-01-2009, 03:24 PM
Nick Cagle
Kris, most of Barths cabinets are oak or cherry. That is definitely not oak. Maple normally has a very light blonde color unless it has been stained.

My suggestion is to take one of the doors off and try to match it. Cherry wood with a clear varnish or shellac will have a red tint unless it is stained darker. If you decide it is cherry and need to build additional cabinets, try alder. It is a fraction of the cost of cherry and only the most experienced woodworker could tell the difference. The grain and color look just like cherry.

Nick
07-01-2009, 04:15 PM
Kris & Tina Jones
I do have a woodcraft near by...I have just the door to take in to them. I think you might be right about the Cherry Nick...lets see what these boys say. If so, it just has a satin finish clearcoat on it. (Thank God I don't have to redo all of the cabinets. It would cost a fortune!) Tina and I like these cabinets more than the ones we have in our house.
07-01-2009, 05:58 PM
Cabinetguy
It looks like Birch to me with some sort of a Minwax stain. It looks just like my 1998 BARTH, and it is definetly Birch.

1998 29' widebody
454 Chevy chassis
07-01-2009, 07:38 PM
Rusty
Hard to tell, but my guess would be birch with fruitwood stain.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields