Reply To This Topic

new seats
 Login now/Join our community

FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
quote:
Corey have you ever seen the "Fastest Indian"? He used it on his cracked tires.

Love that movie!

I forgot about that part, very cool. And the wooden post spare tire, excellent!! We are such a society of buying the pre-made part, that guy was the real deal hot-rodder.

I'm going to pee on my lemon tree now ROTFLMAO

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Moonbeam-Express:

I'm going to pee on my lemon tree now ROTFLMAO

Ahhh, re-cycling at its finest!

I know some of the old timers at SCTA (Bonneville timing group) and they say the movie was quite accurate, very little sensationalism added. I loved it also!

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Corey have you ever seen the "Fastest Indian"? He used it on his cracked tires.

Love that movie!

I forgot about that part, very cool. And the wooden post spare tire, excellent!!

Continuing thread drift, I have met both Burt Munro and Anthony Hopkins. Both were rewarding experiences, albeit superficial. I ran into Burt Munro several times, at least once at work, once at Bonneville and several times at Sam Pierce's shop, where his bike stayed between Speed Weeks and mods. Only met Mr Hopkins once, while he was browsing in a book store in Santa Paula or Ojai. He was the usual Hollywood polite and reserved, but his eyes lit up and he became very warm and engaging when I mentioned I had met Burt several times. We are giant fans of his.

BTW, that movie really represented the
Bonneville scene and the people accurately. Anyone around the Southern California hot rod scene would recognize several.

quote:
We are such a society of buying the pre-made part, that guy was the real deal hot-rodder.

I remember a story of him casting his piston slugs by digging a properly dimensioned hole in the ground of the proper dimensions. He had to have the moisture content of the ground just right, according to the soil temperature, to get the heat transfer and cooldown time just right. Reminded me of ancient Samurai steel tempering or the correct camel dung for Damascus steel tempering. I don't know if that was his standard technique or an emergency measure, but I always remember that, being a bit of a bodger myself.

quote:
I'm going to pee on my lemon tree now

Susan forbids this on our 2 lemon trees at home, but encourages such activity when boondocking. It keeps wolves and mountain lions away. Takes about a week of concerted effort by me and the dog, but the visits, walk-throughs and nighttime stalking drop off to almost nothing.

When we get a gopher invasion, I keep a Gatorade bottle in the bathroom. Works even better than my ill-fated gopher snake event, and much easier.

Thanks for reminding me how much we like the movie. Susan really likes it, too. It is full of the kind of men she likes.

Gonna watch Indian tonight, I think.

By coincidence, Matt Munro is singing on the satellite right now.

End of thread drift. Forgive me Father, for I have sinned.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In many ways my RVs have taken the place of the hot rodding experience I couldn't afford when I was of the age to actually use the machines I built. At some point I didn't want to be a middle aged guy running around in a souped up jalopy. Not that there is anything bad about that, I just grew out of it. Tinkering on my coach is nearly as rewarding and more sane for my current place in life.

I just visited Don Garlits' museum in Ocala, Fl. It is the best hot rodding museum I've ever seen (and this includes Indy and the defunct Harrahs in Vegas). I'm very content to view other people's creations and understand the consequence of owning such beasts. Sometimes I see a rod I'd love to own for a bit, but unlike the RV it has no practical purpose for me. Bikes, boats and Rvs, that is what I'm reduced to. Alas! Tooling Along

Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
At some point I didn't want to be a middle aged guy running around in a souped up jalopy.

Yeah, I'm kinda there. Just a Jag with a warmed Vette engine. Only a trained ear can spot it.

El Lay is full of old guys with neat cars and lots to chat about. I believe you could spend every night of the week attending a different car or bike gathering. And weekend afternoons.

If ever near, you should check out the NHRA museum at the El Lay fairgrounds.

http://www.museum.nhra.com/

The cars are nifty and the volunteer docents are fun to talk to. Every now and then I will meet someone I used to know or who knows someone I used to know.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
If ever near, you should check out the NHRA museum at the El Lay fairgrounds.

I'll make it a point Bill. It might be the only thing in that city worth sticking around for. I'm not a city guy, that's for sure.

First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm not a city guy, that's for sure.

In the next year or so we will be sooooooooooooooooo un-city.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl...ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of Bruce & Kathleen
posted Hide Post
Boy, could I tell you a great motorcycle story about a trip we took from Sedona to Prescott over that mountain thru Jerico(?).... Real nice area out there. My wife has an aunt and uncle who moved from Lake Tahoe to Prescott. They love it there.
As far as cars, trucks, bikes, boats, etc... SOMETIMES IT'S IN THE BLOOD AND YOU JUST CAN'T GET RID OF IT!!! I have or had just about anything that stays on land and has a motor. I try to hold on to them for as long as I can. You just never know when you might get the urge to ?????
Sorry for the continuation of the thread drift.

9303 3855 33BS 1B
Bruce & Kathleen
1993 33' Front Entrance Breakaway
230HP Cummins 5.9, Allison 6 speed, Spartan Chassis, Nicely Optioned

Posts: 616 | Location: New Jersey | Member Since: 04-01-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
According to Google Maps, El Segundo Bill's "soooooooooo un-city," is 1450.9 miles from my doorstep, so I don't think we'll be visiting soon.
Also, Wagoner Road stretches for some distance, & the satellite map doesn't show much evidence of human habitation. I wonder where he's going to live.

As to the salt flats, I attended a couple Speed Weeks there while stationed in Salt lake City in the early '50s. Had some fine old b&w photos of cars, family, & action, but they went away as we downsized to move to a retirement home last September. Wish I still had 'em.

Like Moonbeam-Express, RVs & also boats, took the place of hot cars as I aged, & they too are gone now with advancing maturity (my euphemism for old age).

Ah well, guess I'll get out the dvd of "Indian," a watch it again tonight. Too bad I don't have a lemon tree any more either.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olroy:
Wagoner Road stretches for some distance, & the satellite map doesn't show much evidence of human habitation. I wonder where he's going to live.

Gonna put up a shack and a really big barn. Plans are being drawn and the color of the plumbing fixtures is being debated. Out there in a week or so and shoot some grades.

First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bruce & Kathleen:
Boy, could I tell you a great motorcycle story about a trip we took from Sedona to Prescott over that mountain thru Jerome

I have heard a coupla RV stories about that trip. I wouldn't try it.

Lotsa fun on a bike, though. At least midweek. On weekends the road is blocked by gaggles of slow solar-powered Harleys on a parade.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Gonna put up a shack and a really big barn.

I'm awfully glad someone has their priorities straight out there!

Can I convince you to add a 30 or 50 amp "visitor" outlet?

First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:

Can I convince you to add a 30 or 50 amp "visitor" outlet?

Sure, of course. For folks who have cords on their RVs.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of Bruce & Kathleen
posted Hide Post
Ahhhhh, yes. My mistake Bill. Thanks for the correction. Jerome is the little "town" on the side of the mountain. Great little bar there to stop and have a drink. Don't get too drunk and walk out the back door though....

9303 3855 33BS 1B
Bruce & Kathleen
1993 33' Front Entrance Breakaway
230HP Cummins 5.9, Allison 6 speed, Spartan Chassis, Nicely Optioned

Posts: 616 | Location: New Jersey | Member Since: 04-01-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bruce & Kathleen:
Great little bar there to stop and have a drink. Don't get too drunk and walk out the back door though....

Lots of bars are like that. Particularly in San Francisco in the late 1800s.