Start A New Topic
Reply To This Topic
Our Barth is getting a little refresh!
We've realized that our carpet was getting a little rough in the high-traffic areas and it holds a lot of smells that we'd like to get rid of.
I found Nick Cagle's detailed description of what they had to go through replacing their carpet: New Carpet
That gave us the courage to get started. His instructions were spot on for our 93 Breakaway and we went pretty much step by step. The bolts on the driver's seat gave us a little trouble but we got everything removed and started ripping up the carpet. Nick wasn't kidding about the crazy number of staples they used putting this stuff in! Holy-moly. We discovered that a pair of "nippers" worked perfectly for pulling 95% of the staples. Grab onto the staple and roll with the head of the nippers and it pulls them right out. Emily said there was something therapeutic about pulling all the staples. I don't know about that, but I'm just glad I didn't have to do it myself!
Our surprises under the carpet were only a few water stains on the floor and one spot where there was a little water damage right at the front door by the step.
I pulled the toilet up and was surprised that while water stained, the wood was still solid. Whose idea was it to put carpet around the toilet anyways?
We had planned to leave the hardwood floor in the kitchen and put down LVT (luxury vinyl tile) where the carpet once was. It stormed the night after removing the carpet and like a dummy I had left the vent in the kitchen open and water got on the kitchen floor. The next morning I noticed the nice hardwood floor was peeling from the water that came in and was actually just laminated plywood. Oops. So now the kitchen floor comes up too and it'll all be vinyl tile.
I sanded down some rough areas in the plywood subfloor and sanded off all the glue from under the wood flooring in the kitchen. Emily went in and taped up all the edges with masking tape. Today we started painting all the plywood with the heaviest Kilz primer we could get. Hopefully, it will seal the wood a little better against future water damage and also seal in any unwanted smells. We worked from the back to the living room today and hopefully can finish the rest tomorrow after I replace a little plywood at the front step.
I'll try to post some pictures here soon, I don't have permission to edit my own posts anymore so I'm a little afraid of messing up the link to the pictures and not being able to fix it.
Sounds like it is going to be really nice
Looking forward to seeing it.
Sam Miniature Schnauzer
3.8.2009 - 9.24.2021
93 30ft Breakaway
|Official Barth Junkie|
Go ahead and post what you can. If it doesn't work we can fix it. You can attach one pic per post or do the link. Not sure why you can't edit your posts... need to look into that.
Good luck with your floor project!
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp
Pretty soon have to tackle my 71, needs the same. Like the LVT idea, thank you!! Gonna leave the front driver-passenger area in carpet but a light grey, the engine cover is the same vinyl as the dash (Black). Can not wait to get rid of the God-Awful Orange shag carpet!!
1971 24 ft Barth Continental
I`m in the middle of a complete interior rehab of a 1986 32' Regal -- NO, I did not paint the cabinets --Those of you that has tackled this job, when reinstalling the wood trim, did you screw it back on like the original -- I`m doing that, but sure is tempting to use the brad gun -- Bill Willard
Hmmmmm I don’t remember mine in my 1994 Aristocrat DBarth having the wood trim screwed. I know for sure I did not screw it back in. I remember pulling the air hose and Brad nailer. Worked like a charm. No issues with anything coming loose. That was some years back. I never heard from the next owner after the sale.
Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
Christened Camp Barth
I wonder what years Barth used screws to attach the wood trim -- I thought maybe it was a Barth thing --
I replaced all the wallpaper -- Removing the old stuff wasn`t to bad, but removing the glue residue was -- After that I used a primer on the walls -- Took 8 rolls of wallpaper & over a gallon on paste to replace it -- Did not do the closets, yet -- Gotta think about that for awhile -
|Powered by Social Strata|