Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Question to diesel mechanics:
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/09
Picture of Lorelei
posted
Re the seized Detroit diesel: Is it possible for fuel to have filled the cylinders of the engine making it impossible for the compressed air to be injected? Tim's thought is that if he gets to the injectors and gets the fuel out of them, maybe the engine isn't really seized. We're having a hard time believing it overheated.

Posts: 38 | Location: Point Arena, CA | Member Since: 06-03-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
Lorelei,

I'm not a diesel mechanic, but I once had an old Chevy hydro lock on me. I pulled the spark plugs, fuel shot to the ceiling, reinstalled and drove it for three years till I sold it.

I seems easier for that to happen with a carbureted motor, but if an injector somehow leaked enough fuel which then didn't drain out through the rings. It only takes one cylinder to hydro lock any size engine.

The next question, even if you did overheat is what exactly seized? Rings, main bearings?

I found this on a site that repairs 8.2 DD -

"There is no "Quick Fix" for these engines. The engines have no cylinder sleeves or liners. The blocks must be bored and honed and the Block decks must be surfaced. This is the only correct way to bring a high mile or hour unit back into service with long life."

After reading a little about your DD I really think re-powering is going to be in your future, even if you get the 8.2 up again. I know a guy in Ohio that can extend your frame for a Cummins. This is common with bus chassis, in fact (I had an MCI before Barth).

Another possibility in power is the DD 8V71 two stroke. It's wide, but only the length of a four banger. Many will poo-poo the two strokes, but they are still the longest running type of commercial bus engine that there ever was. And I still think they are the best sounding diesel ever.

All my two cents anyway.
Corey

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
posted Hide Post
I'm am also not a diesel mechanic (but I have lots of opinions). Have you compared the hp and torque of the 8.2 to a late model Ford or GM diesel V8 from a pickup? They are V engines, and fairly short. Just something to consider.

Posts: 57 | Location: Washington DC | Member Since: 03-11-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
Oh yes, Gupman made me think of another important factor, make sure the engine spins in the correct direction!

Remember it will be backwards when put in a pusher.
Corey

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
quote:

Remember it will be backwards when put in a pusher.
Corey

Nope, they just flip over the diff and that takes care of the problem, the pusher diesels all run the same rotation direction as a puller engine.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
No. I do not believe this happened to your engine. It just doesn't sound right.

When the AC bracket broke, your water pump stopped turning. I believe you did overheat the engine and locked it up.

I've said it before. NEVER OVERHEAT an 8.2L Detroit as they are unforgiving if run hot.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you get an engine that has been used in a marine application it may spin either direction. Depends on if the boat had one or two props. Know a guy that bought a gasser to put in a cobra he was building......found out it turned the wrong direction. Frowner

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
There are only two left hand engines I know about. The two stroke Detroits (53,71,92) can be set up either way, but with the 92s you need a left or right hand crankshaft (lots of huhs). The other left hand available engine is the 903 Cummins V8.

None of the inline 4stokers have a left hand configuration. If they need a left hand prop on a boat the use a transmission.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1186 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/09
Picture of Lorelei
posted Hide Post
Well, we thought it was worth asking about; it's unfortunate we did not have the water temp guage hooked up, but the transmission guage did not show a rise in temp, there was plenty of water/antifreeze in it, and several gallons of oil as well.

We've noticed there are a whole lot of Cat 3208 remanufactured engines on the market in our area, and we're looking at those. Some even come with a 6-speed tranny for just a little more money.

Tim found a kidney-shaped plastic wading pool - perfect for putting under the coach so we can pressure wash the engine and stop getting so covered in geese (and grease).

Posts: 38 | Location: Point Arena, CA | Member Since: 06-03-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
When I pressure wash the engine compartment I get a couple of old sheets from marleen and spread them on the ground. This catches almost all the crud and lets the water thru.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1186 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post