Tools
Reply To This Topic

Looking for History of Euro
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/10
Picture of Richard &  Lee
posted
Hi everyone,

Perhaps anyone out there like Suzy & Dan Z. who own a Euro, can give us a history or background of this RV. Is it upgrades or downgrades from Regals or Regencies or Breakaways or any other model. Question-why are there so few of them in existence and are they a"red-headed stepchild" and nobody liked them? Would appreciate any feedback because we really enjoy ours.

Richard & Lee

Posts: 25 | Location: Apache Junction, AZ | Member Since: 07-12-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Hi Richard & Lee, don't know how I missed this post when you wrote it but I'll try to give you some info as I understand it. The Euro was mostly made for the overseas market, where it was thought the aerodynamics would appeal to them. I don't think it was a step child so much as a non-custom production coach. The quality was there, but they were pretty much all alike. Yours is unique in the single grill and color, though I suspect that the blue isn't how it came from the factory. My understanding is they built somewhere around 150 of them, possibly more, and a large percentage wound up in Iraq. We have never verified more than about 10 left in the US, but that doesn't mean there aren't many more.
Like you, we love our Euro and will have it for the forseeable future, maybe one day going to a DP for full timing, but it will still be a Barth.
Now if you want another account of the Euro, billh has his own history lesson, which I got after first posting here in 04 I think. It's a lot of fun to read and may be just as factual as my account, so enjoy.
http://barthmobile.com/eve/for...391068061#2391068061

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3476 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Danny and Suzy,

Thanks for replying to our post and thanks for the info. Our colors for the Barth are Teal and Burgundy. I had the coach repainted the colors of the logo of my company business card. The story behind mine is that a Ford dealership in Indianapolis sent the frame (F500 or F550) Ford to Barth and they manufactured the coach to his specs. It already had a naturally aspirated diesel and a 5 speed Clark stick shift. The original owner drove it 30,000 miles and could not make it up the hills. That's why he changed the engine to a 8.2 turbo DD. Now it has too much power. It has pulled 9000 lbs. without any labor. We are continuing to upgrade it and will be putting on solar panels, extra battery bank, etc. It is a never ending love fest. The most recent project was the replacement of the holding tank. I went to several repair places and they wanted about $1600 for a plastic one so I decided to get 2 sheets of 50 series aluminum .125 inch thick and had it bent,fabricated, welded and installed for under $700. That should last for a while. This is a great hobby and we enjoy improving the coach. We plan to go to Alaska next Spring and Summer. This year we will tour Arizona, Nevada and California. Hope to meet you one day at a rally.

Thanks again,
Richard & Lee

Posts: 25 | Location: Apache Junction, AZ | Member Since: 07-12-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard & Lee:
I had the coach repainted the colors of the logo of my company business card.
Send me a couple of photos so I can place them here, or post them here yourself so we can see what you've done. Thumbs Up I know the vast majority would like to view them. Smiler

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
quote:
The story behind mine is that a Ford dealership in Indianapolis sent the frame (F500 or F550) Ford to Barth and they manufactured the coach to his specs.

As has been pointed out here repeatedly, there are very few definates when it comes to Barths. So here's a new twist to my theory about Euros being a production coach rather than a custom. Yours has to be a one-of-a-kind. I'd like to see some more pix too.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3476 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Danny Z:
As has been pointed out here repeatedly, there are very few definates when it comes to Barths. So here's a new twist to my theory about Euros being a production coach rather than a custom. Yours has to be a one-of-a-kind. I'd like to see some more pix too.
I have several photos of this coach before the paint job.

I was surprised that you didn't comment on this post back when I put it up a year and a half ago. I suspect you never saw it.

1984 Euro - Standard Shift - 25' w an 8.2L Detroit

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello Barthers,

Boy how time flies. Didn't realize it has been a year and a half since we posted the pictures. You can see them on the OLD POST Link. Since then we have installed a 22" flat screen TV, also on the OLD POST link. We installed a new aluminum holding tank. Our next project is the installation of solar which we have but have not had time to do the job. Still need to reupholster the front seats and possibly add a screen room like Danny and Suzy's and eventually building a stand between the driver and passenger seats to hold our laptop for the GPX. Having fun!!!

Richard & Lee

PS: Info we have is that the coach went out the door from Barth for $65,000. Whether that included the frame and running train, we don't know.