Forums    General Discussions    Topic: Really stupid Idea ??
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Topic: Really stupid Idea ??
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Doug Smiley
posted
Barthmobile Portal > Private Messages!

Who Posted: Kevin

OK Kevin my email got the notice that you had sent me a PM
BUT this afternoon when I logged in there was nothing there!!

...and the only "idea" that I recently posted was this one:

https://www.barthmobile.com/eve...583917297#1583917297

Please tell me what/why my 'stupid idea' was...

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2584 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
When it comes to other social media privacy mistakes when you’re on vacation, another point you’ll want to keep in mind is that posting vacation pictures while you’re traveling should be a big no-no. It may be tempting to post pictures of you, your friends, children or family members lounging on a cruise or boating on a river, but it’s best to postpone your social media photo posts until you get home. That’s because posting pictures of your adventures is a dead giveaway that you’re not home and won’t be home any time soon, which could signal that it’s a good time for any prospective thieves to break in. For this reason, instead of posting your pictures and videos while traveling, opt to publish the photos and videos after you get home instead. Quote from some readings below.

According to Time Magazine, 78% of burglars use social media to plan their next break in. I think the magazine said it best when they said: “Next time you leave your home for any appreciable length of time, whatever you do, don’t tell the Internet.” Quote from some readings below.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/tr...-insurance-burglary/

https://www.silive.com/news/20..._plans_on_socia.html

https://albuquerque.citymomsbl...l/pictures-vacation/

https://www.nextadvisor.com/bl...n-youre-on-vacation/

https://www.familyvacationcrit...on-social-media/art/

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Kevin, you are being far to paranoid about all this stuff. No one will post names, address OR GEOTAGS. Not a great idea to call some ones idea STUPID and then delete your PM!!!! We have all been doing these GTGs for years well before you came along and no one had any trouble while away. We don't post addresses or names on social media on the pictures we take.

Relax, You won't be there at the GTG to enjoy anyway, doesn't affect YOU!!!

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2176 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Read the post. It says really stupid Idea. It DOES NOT say the person is stupid.
You are not going to change my mind. I do not need the world to know when I am not home. Fortunately you have never been burglarized. There is also a pin for members locations on our map. Streaming live video of our members locations is an Excellent Idea for criminals.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Changing your mind would be impossible, I don't have the time or the energy! Want to take this off line, would be a better place to debate!
quote:
Read the post. It says really stupid Idea. It DOES NOT say the person is stupid.

I think you had better re-read my post,
quote:
Not a great idea to call some one's IDEA STUPID and then delete your PM!!!!

quote:
Fortunately you have never been burglarized.

Excuse me!!! I have more than once been burglarized. Where do you come up with that idea!!!!

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2176 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MWrench:
Want to take this off line, would be a better place to debate!
It was "off line." I did not bring it here to this forum.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MWrench: I also do not post on any social media,

I forgot Barthmobile is NOT social media, since it has less than a million views.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
The drone law on getting licensed is pretty strange, Ed has to apply for and obtain one, where my 15 year old grand son, has like 5 of the darn things, but his are deemed toys. They have a camera and can stream on the internet just like Eds'

What a world!!

Where as Ed is a trained pilot and an adult "we could say older adult" he also has good common sense and perhaps not the reflexes of a fearless 15 year old.

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2041 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I would hope that if I am robbed again I am surely not home!

Pray to God if the bad guys come in, and do their thing, I am not there! No chance of dangerous encounters, just a call to my insurance company. Violence

Nothing to be afaid of if you are well insured. hmm

I worry more about data and identity theft. Those guys don't care if you are home or not. They are from Nigeria, China, Korea, etc. They are hard to find, and what they are after is hard to insure. Computer

I have rarely seen the word "stupid" used in a constructive way.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5157 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/11
Picture of Jim & Barb
posted Hide Post
To all Barth members - Please take note of Kevin's post.

I am a retired law enforcement officer with 40 years service and yes, the "bad guys" used to watch newspaper postings and now the word goes out all over social media about where you are.
I have handled burglaries of people attending a funeral (info posted in newspaper), people attending weddings (info posted in newspapers) and other such events.
I worked one burglary where the people went on an extended business/vacation, when they returned home their house was vacant of almost all possessions, furniture, kitchen appliances etc. The daytime burglars had the whole families names and the fact they where away on a business deal. The neighbors even talked with the "bad guys" loading up the moving truck and were told the home owner had accepted a job in the state he was visiting.

Take this advise seriously. Also if you have children, watch what you post about them.

Jim

Posts: 457 | Location: Port Charlotte Florida USA | Member Since: 06-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doug Smiley
posted Hide Post
quote:
I worked one burglary where the people went on an extended business/vacation,

How long ago was that?

Did the homeowners have any sort of reliable security system??

Or any other 'backup' plan???

ps I, too, have come to a home that was burgled
and the home owner(s) did not have (then) any security system in place...!!

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2584 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Time to put it to bed, boys. At least I think that's what Rusty would have said.

Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think this post did kill this topic. Thanks Jim & Barb! I agree! Take this advise seriously.
quote:
Originally posted by Jim & Barb:
To all Barth members - Please take note of Kevin's post.

I am a retired law enforcement officer with 40 years service and yes, the "bad guys" used to watch newspaper postings and now the word goes out all over social media about where you are.
I have handled burglaries of people attending a funeral (info posted in newspaper), people attending weddings (info posted in newspapers) and other such events.
I worked one burglary where the people went on an extended business/vacation, when they returned home their house was vacant of almost all possessions, furniture, kitchen appliances etc. The daytime burglars had the whole families names and the fact they where away on a business deal. The neighbors even talked with the "bad guys" loading up the moving truck and were told the home owner had accepted a job in the state he was visiting.

Take this advise seriously. Also if you have children, watch what you post about them.

Jim