Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

1969 barth motorhome
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
Steve, your data tag is probably mounted outside the coach on the drivers side around the front wheel.

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 08/09
Picture of Steve Sorrentino
posted Hide Post
Hi All,Just wanted to say thanks for all the great information and warm welcome,were looking foreward to participating in your forum and hope we can contribute in the future.Well be sure to post our intended route here real soon.Thanks again for all your support. Steve and Danel Sorrentino.

Posts: 60 | Location: Grass Valley CA. | Member Since: 07-24-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RickBright
posted Hide Post
Steve,
After I got my 73 home I took it to my local tire shop, forget the small national tire shops and find a shop that is used to working with trucks and farm equipment as a rule they are much more experienced than an "urban" chain shop. My local tire guy took one look at my split rims and was able to tell me what I needed to replace them. He had 6 used wheels in stock he sold for for $40.00 apiece. With a new set of 235/85/R16 tires I was fixed up.
I am not sure of the specifics of my new wheels but the front wheels and the back are different..He did tell me I would need to keep the back wheels on the back and the front wheels on the front. My guess it has something to do with the off-set. I can check with my tire guy if you need specifics on the wheels. Your lug bolts should be either 7/16" or 1/2"....mine were 1/2" not sure how the 7/16" would change wheel availability. I think that with the 7/16" lug bolts you can use a shim to bring them up to 1/2" if your wheels have a 1/2" hole. Your tire guy should also know that some of the Chevrolet wheels used a lug nut with a taper on the side of the lug nut that tightens up against the wheel and some wheels used a lug nut that is flat on the inside. Maybe someone else can explain this better than I have?? You will need the right lug nut for the wheel you have or buy.
Having said all this in Ohio you should not have a problem finding someone to mount the split rims with new tires if you check around in farm country. The tire chain shops will not touch them but as long as they are not rusty and the rings are good you can find bigger local owned tire shops in farm country that have a lot of experience mounting tires on the split rims. When I talked with the guy you bought the coach from he said both he and the original owner had kept the Barth inside all its life so the split rim wheels on it should be in good shape. Once mounted they will work fine.
Rick

Posts: 7 | Location: South Of Branson Mo | Member Since: 01-02-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow Steve is right, this is a nice welcoming group. I love that.

So, the big update is that we fly to Ohio Aug.10th to put the 1st eyes on our new/old girl. We'll be making our 1st stop at the parts store for the obvious stuff, including TOOLS, since we won't be flying with any. I think our general plan is to travel I80, seems like the safest route. Being that I will be 5 months pregnant we are playing it safe.
Anyone along the way? Danel & Steve Sorrentino

Posts: 60 | Location: Grass Valley CA. | Member Since: 07-24-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
We bought this set of tools in Alabama when we had to swap out a water pump on our first trip. Can't remember if they came from Discount or Advanced, but the brand name is AMPRO. Good tools for about 180 bucks. You'll also want a 3 piece pry-bar set, which come in handy for tons of things. Good luck and let us know how the trip goes.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3476 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/09
Picture of Scott Stewart
posted Hide Post
Good luck tomorrow! Barth or Bust! I will say a prayer tonight for you and safe tip home. Keep us posted.

Scott Stewart
612-490-3399

Posts: 46 | Location: Minnesota | Member Since: 06-13-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Picture of Mary Ray
posted Hide Post
prayers and good wishes on your trip.

Mary

Don't mess with us old folks, we don't get old by being stupid!
1968 Barth trailer, 1975 Barth Motorhome and 1985 Barth Motorhome

Posts: 1603 | Location: Obion, TN/Memphis, TN | Member Since: 11-23-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
Picture of GaryG
posted Hide Post
Steve/Danel
There are lots of good folks along the way. If you stay on I80 all the way, that's north of us quite far, BUT if you ever get as far south as I40, we are not too far off, about 100 miles north and south of I70. We have parking, electric and water for an overnight for anyone traveling east, west, north or south through New Mexico, maybe even a cup of coffee too!

Susie and Gary (SUGAR)
Former Owners
'95 Barth Regency 34'

Cummins 8.3 Spartan MM
Allison 6 spd

Posts: 109 | Location: Abiquiu, NM | Member Since: 05-20-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Sorrentino:
So, the big update is that we fly to Ohio Aug.10th to put the 1st eyes on our new/old girl.
Has any of our members see them along the way or maybe get a PM/Email update from them? Smiler

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey everyone! Thanks for all your well wishes & prayers, i know they helped. Steve & I made it home @ 4:30pm yesterday!!! What a loooong drive. We were so pleased with our barth, she ran like a brand new coach should! Not bad for a '70. Big Grin We stuck to I80 and made great time. our mission was to get home, not sight see this trip, we didn't want to tempt fate. Everything went great & you'll now have 2 new devoted BARTHIES on your hands. toast The coach is in tip top shape inside & out, I dont know if pic's can do it justice. This coach really never got used, we had to remove the original pilot light warning tag to use the oven & unwrap the broiler pan, from it's original wrapper. It did feel kinda wrong, but it was late & we were hungry, thank heavens for frozen lasagne. Im gonna try to attatch a pic for now & if that works Steve is going to take more for you all to see later.

Again Thanks Soo Much, Danel & Steve Sorrentino

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
thank heavens for frozen lasagne.

Yup. If you buy the really big commercial size, you can use a table saw to cut it into perfect sizes (while still frozen) for storing in your Barth freezer.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
Bill, i don't have a table saw.....would a Skill saw work? Big Grin

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shadow man:
Bill, i don't have a table saw.....would a Skill saw work? Big Grin

Yes, but without the accuracy that a Barth requires.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Everything went great & you'll now have 2 new devoted BARTHIES on your hands.
Seeing that we've got you where we want you, I think now is a good time to break you in just right.

"Excuse me, did you say 'BarthIES?' The word is 'BarthERS.' I should know, Dave told me." Big Grin

To See Where This Is Coming From... Click Here

Glad to see that you made it back...
hope to here from you some more...
glad to see you figured out the new picture upload feature...
Thumbs Up Nice Picture, care to tell us where that was taken?
BTW: you've got a new avatar.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post