Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

1969 barth motorhome
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 08/09
Picture of Steve Sorrentino
posted
Hi everybody,My wife and i just purchassed a 69 barth motorhome off ebay.We live in california and will be driving the coach home from ohio.This coach has 24,000 original miles and looks to be in nice condition.We would like to take this opportunity to draw on this group for any advise you'd be willing to share before we enbark on our cross country journey.What should i expect from the chevy 350,cruising speed,milage etc.Are split rims a negative? How will she do on steep grades?Any way dont want to ware out my welcome.Any advice would be greatley appreciated. Thanks for now Steve and Danel Sorrentino

Posts: 60 | Location: Grass Valley CA. | Member Since: 07-24-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Picture of Mary Ray
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the sight.

Mary

Don't mess with us old folks, we don't get old by being stupid!
1968 Barth trailer, 1975 Barth Motorhome and 1985 Barth Motorhome

Posts: 1603 | Location: Obion, TN/Memphis, TN | Member Since: 11-23-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the sight Steve and Danel. You might enjoy seeing that your coach was spotted by members before your purchase HERE.

Good luck on your cross country trip with your Barth. We went the other way. My wife and I bought our Barth on Ebay in Arizona and flew out and drove it back to Georgia.

Now about those rims. Personally I don't like them. Growing up on a farm and around log trucks they were called "suicide rims". If you are going to have to buy tires, see if you can find some wheels and get yourself some good looking chrome simulators.

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Picture of Mary Ray
posted Hide Post
The Sorrentino's, I looked at the pictures of your coach and we both have the same floor plan. Does yours have the drop down bed over the driver/passenger seats?

Like Nick I don't like split rims either and you will find that lots of tire places are not equipped to work on them, they are very dangerous to work on.

Good luck on your drive home, when are you going to get it and what route will you be travelling when you head home. You may be coming close to me and I could meet you and visit. I live in the upper western part of Tennessee about 50 miles from Paducah, KY.

Mary

Don't mess with us old folks, we don't get old by being stupid!
1968 Barth trailer, 1975 Barth Motorhome and 1985 Barth Motorhome

Posts: 1603 | Location: Obion, TN/Memphis, TN | Member Since: 11-23-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Nick,Thanks for the input on the wheels.I've heard this many times over about split rims.Dont know how confident i feel traveling 2,200 miles on this set up.Would appreciate any advice on replacement tires and wheels.I plan on purchasing some spare parts for the trip,ie fuel pump,belts,zip ties and duck tape.I also own a 67 clark cortez and know what spare parts to tote along for emergency repairs,would be interested in knowing what other members might bring along on long trips.Thanks again, The Sorrentino's

Posts: 60 | Location: Grass Valley CA. | Member Since: 07-24-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Welcome Scott. Ditto on those rims.

-If you are planning to drive it back, check the tire date code, change the belts, check the condition of the fuel lines and antifreeze hoses.

-If you are planning to drive it back, check the tire date code, change the belts, check the condition of the fuel lines and antifreeze hoses.

I speak from the years we've had members drive an older coach without looking at this basic stuff.

Everything from blown engines, tire blowouts to burnt up coaches. Please take a few minutes to check this stuff out.

Don't want to scare you too much, but here is a photo of one such Barth that was won on Ebay.

Maiden Voyage Home.

Here is another recent post from someone who just barley made it home.
quote:
Originally posted by Bill N.Y.:
Excellent... great to hear! Now change those belts and hoses b4 you get bit in the arse.
Funny! Broke the altenator belt backing her in the drive. and Gas line leaks and cracks all over.

Play it safe Steve Computer

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Mary,Thanks for the welcome,I'm looking foreward to being part of your group,We havn't got a detailed route yet but will probably take the path of least resistance.We would love to meet some of you along the way,so when we get a better idea of our route,I'll be shur to post.I think our plans are to fly to ohio in about two weeks and spend about seven days travel.That should give us some leasure time if all goes well.Thanks again Steve and Danel

posted Hide Post
Hi Bill,Your right,simple little things like a leaky feul line can have devistating effects.I hade a freind who once used one of those glass fuel filters on his classic car and had the same results.I,ll take your advice to heart and inspect and or replace those items you mentioned.Hopefully we can report back with a success story. Thanks Steve and Danel.

Picture of RickBright
posted Hide Post
Hello Steve,
I talked with the previous owner of your coach, it looked good from the pictures I saw. I have a 1973 Barth, in addition to some of the things mentioned before I would check the front brake pads if it has front disk brakes, also the front brake lines can cause problems if they are old, on our trip home with mine I had replaced the brake pads and packed the front wheel bearings, but was unable to find the correct replacement brake hoses. The hose will look good but sometimes will not allow the fluid to flow out of the caliper, the result is a very hot hub assembly and cooked brake pads. I was not able to find replacement brake hoses for my 73 and had to have some made up at a parts place that makes hydraulic and brake hoses. Maybe someone has the part number for the brake hoses and will post them.
The previous owner sounded to me to be a pretty honest guy when I talked with him, he can probably answer a lot of questions that need to be asked such as how long ago were brakes checked, wheel bearings packed, hoses and belts replaced, transmission serviced and so forth. Another thing I had to replace on my 73 was the fan clutch, I am not sure if the 350 engine in your coach will run as hot as the 454 in mine but you will need the cooling system to be in good condition for the cross country trip. If you get in the NW Arkansas/SW Missouri area and need any help give me a shout.
Rick

Posts: 7 | Location: South Of Branson Mo | Member Since: 01-02-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
My best advice is that you get a membership in Coach Net or a similar road service company. Knowing that wherever you are, a phone call can get you emergency road service and a tow to a repair facility, anytime, day or night, gives one great peace of mind. So, make sure your cell phone is charged up and if you can, get an antennae for it when you're in remote places. With that in mind, enjoy the adventure. If you have trouble, it will be part of the experience and you'll meet some great folks who will help you out.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Rick,Thanks for the input,The barth owner,Don and his wife larena,are verry nice people,I've been in contact with them in regards to farming out some of this work before i arrive. Toledo is the nearest town,So if any body knows a good mechanic in that area a reference would be appreciated.Thanks for the invite,If im in your neck of the woods i'll be sure to check in. Steve and Danel

posted Hide Post
Hi Jim,Thanks for that piece of advise,towing a coach is not a cheap proposition.Are some of these services better than others? A no hassle policy would be nice. Thanks Steve and Danel

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
I carried Coach-Net for many years...had my first call-out this summer (starter ruined by loose flexplate bolt). 20 minute response time by truck/RV-oriented road service vendor and back on the road in a couple hours, costing about 50% of what I expected to pay....Wouldn't leave home without them anymore!

SIDEBAR: For those with Progressive Insurance, claim-free 4 years or more, check your benefits.
I just received notice that I'm now in a free
Diamond Membership category. Among other bennies, policy now includes lodging & transportation home after an accident, plus covers cost of returning your RV to you if necessary....

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
We've had very good results with Coach Net on all our cars/MH's. Many folks have Good Sams & talk highly of them too.

Did someone mention a couple of new charged up fire extinguishers? It seems a moot point after seeing the pic of the folks who lost theirs to fire. Just get out every 50 miles the first hour or two & give her a thorough walk around looking under & up, then 100 miles or so.

As mentioned tires over 5 - 7 years old may look good but will need to be replaced b4 trip. A flat can destroy a wheel well & the cost to repair may match or exceed the cost for new tires.

I also like aluminum tape. It is very handy. Take a digital camera & a laptop so if you have ???'s it is handy to have. We love to see pics of your coach & will try to trouble shoot any problems you may have with or without pics of course. The camera will help in many cases.

There may be a lot of rattles, so take items that can be used to stuff or stick into those spots to quiet them. It will help to hear other problems that may occur.

Keep us posted on your trip.
Tere

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Sorrentino:
Thanks for the invite,If im in your neck of the woods i'll be sure to check in.
We are all a very helpful group here, if you tell us your intended route, some of our members have been known to give you their phone numbers and meet you en-route if trouble should arise. You'll find offers of lodging and meeting for dinner or lunch.

This is not a "Cult" that you joined, but pretty close. Big Grin ~ It's a fellowship of great people who would like to help you if you need it. Wink

For an older coach, you made a very wise decision. I hope you are an active member who gets many years of great service out of your new purchase. Thumbs Up

Until you get a better picture, I took the liberty of installing an avatar of your coach below your name. Could you please, forward some better pictures and snap one of the data tag. bill_ny@barthmobile.com

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post