Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Buying a Barth
 Login now/Join our community

posted
My wife and I grew up Motor Homing. We've had a fold down for the last 3 years and really like it. We happened to be driving through a town here in Indiana and saw a Barth for sale. I found you site and have enjoyed reading the forum. I think you guys really care and give honest answers. The Barth is a 27' 1975 model year. It has a November 1974 manufacture date on the metal panel next to the driver. We took it for a drive today and it really seemed great. For being almost 30 years old it drove like a dream. The generator has 600 hours on it. The interior is original "green" (much fading). All the appliences worked. There was some minor water damage in two of the cabinets. Do you think it's worth $5500.00?
My plan is for it to last at least 4 years and then trade it for a newer model. I know very little about the Barth Motorcoach.

Gary

Posts: 15 | Location: Greensburg, IN, USA | Member Since: 11-03-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Hi Gary,

Welcome to Barthmobile and to the Barth family. I think you will find that even the 1970's era Barths were very well made. If you have water damage, I can assure you that if you do a good seal job on the roof you should have not problems. The roofs on the Barth coaches just do not have the strutural problems you see on plastic coaches.

As far as the $5500.00. You won't find a book value for a coach that old, but figure that you will probably want to put a couple grand in it, if only to change the curtains and counter top. So if the coach is in good basic shap $5500.00 isn't bad. I have seen people pay $7500.00 for a 1970's 25 foot which doesn't even have a bed.

------------------
Shortcuts Always Take Longer

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We bought it!! We are now owners of a 1975 Barth (and we couldn't be happier)!! It took us a little over an 2 hours to get home last night with all the storms (usually 1 hour trip). We have 3 little girls and they couldn't contain the excitement. I however did have to moderate the argument "I want to sit in the front seat". The girls ate, played cards and enjoyed the trip. Can't wait for summer!!

Gary C

Posts: 15 | Location: Greensburg, IN, USA | Member Since: 11-03-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Well Congratulations on your "new to you" Barth. I can remember the excitement the first time we brought ours home. And, I am so glad you got it when your kids were still at home. We wish so much that we could turn back the clock and redo these experiences and adventures when the kids were here.

Way to go....

------------------
Shortcuts Always Take Longer

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We bought a 1976 Barth 27 footer last summer, best thing I ever did. Its old but in really good shape. Since april of this year we have spent over 90 days camping in IN.and Mich. We put it up for the winter last week and I'm going nuts already, going to be a long winter..
Good luck with your Barth I know you'll enjoy it.

Ralph Glover

------------------

Posts: 167 | Location: LaFontaine, IN,USA | Member Since: 07-03-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post