Forums    General Discussions    What can you buy for $10000?
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

What can you buy for $10000?
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted
My kids are getting the camping bug, what with the triplets now almost 3 and able to go places. They're thinking of a new pop up. Those things aren't cheap. I bought a new Coleman pop up in 1981 and spent $7000. Couldn't they find a really nice older Barth for that much? Dan(aka son-in-law, jet pilot, mechanic) wants a class c for sleeping all those humans.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
From my experience, popups are a great way to elevate from tents to civilized camping and help decide if RV's are your cup of tea. I'd never recommend buying new however.....the depreciation scale is damn near a vertical line from the day you bring it home......

I've bought popups for the kids, and some folks seem really eager to unload them on Craigslist & local ads. Don't overlook trolling local campgrounds that have off-season storage - we found a 3-yr old unit, sitting in storage for 2 years, that the owner was happy to have taken off his hands for peanuts.....repacked the wheel bearings & new tires for peace of mind, a family scrub party and it was good-to-go.

If the kids enjoy RVing, they can graduate to bigger units later, sell the popup for $50 and still be ahead of the game.......

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Just went tire kicking with the kids and they want something where all five of them can enjoy the thrill of going (vs arriving). They seem to like the idea of a class c, but I'm trying to convince them of buying a Barth with split beds and turning one of them into bunk beds and mom and dad can sleep in the fold out couch in the front, especially if they installed one of the new electric ones. Anybody know of a nice Barth Class C? Or a nice 28' Regal with twin beds?

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim and Tere:
They seem to like the idea of a class c, but I'm trying to convince them of buying a Barth with split beds and turning one of them into bunk beds and mom and dad can sleep in the fold out couch in the front. Anybody know of a nice Barth Class C? Or a nice 28' Regal with twin beds?

When the kids were young, we had a 19 ft C. A C is good because of the overcab bunk, although a gaucho bed will work, too. I fit two kids above the cab, laid a porta crib over the doghouse for the littlest, and wife and I used the dinette/bed.

I like your idea of bunks in a twin bed coach. We are not big fans of twin beds, but this would seem to be an ideal application.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tigger
posted Hide Post
Hi Jim and Tere - I have an 85 Regal 31' with the twin back room. I've been living in it while building a house, but I'm ready to move in. Today it's at the shop getting all the electrical checked and fixed. I was planning to fix a few other things myself and it needs a couple of dents taken out. If someone wanted to buy it right now and finish fixing it up I'd be willing to sell it for $12,000. I really need to pay off Home Depot. If you wnat to talk off board I'm at rusti99@gmail.com

On the sign is written "DO NOT TOUCH THE BLOSSOMS". It goes unheeded by the wind, who cannot read.

Posts: 28 | Location: Pensacola | Member Since: 11-13-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
As much as we now love our Barth, we equally loved our first pop-up, a tandem axle, giant Jayco.

Popups are great with kids, due to the massive interior space and the ability to carry loads on the top, like bikes. Some of our best memories are with all six of us stuck inside during foul weather. It was like a Walton's episode.

Popups are a cinch to store, easy to tow and need little maintenance. Once set up, you've got the family truckster to use to get around. Setting them up is always a family affair.

I completely agree to get a late model used one! Also, consider the new Hybrids that are small trailers with pop out beds.

Corey

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post