Notify
Tools
gas prices
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted
Regular gas hit $2.50 per gallon in Charlotte, NC. today. I know others are saying it's not that much if you only drive 3000 to 4000 miles a year. But I'm wondering what the rest of our compatriots have to say. We've cancelled a trip already because of gas prices. Those of us on fixed incomes have to cut back somewhere every time something else in our budget goes up. If gas is 25 more dollars a month, that means we have to spend $25 less on something else. And Exxon's first quarter profits were $7billion! Where will it all end?

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Report This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
It's ridiculous...Deb and I used to just hop in the coach drive to Carver County park about 12 miles from here on a Sunday. We'd have a little barbecue sit under the awning, maybe take a nap. It's beautiful out there. Now when you figure it's a $10 bill just to drive out and back. Add to that Deb spending $45 to fill up the Sienna last night. Yep it's starting to effect us.

But if it leads to being less dependent on the Mideast, I am all for it.

------------------

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Report This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
The oil companies just got jillions in tax relief, so maybe they will share some of it with us by lowering prices. Big Grin

(smilie added on edit to indicate attempt at humor)

[This message has been edited by bill h (edited August 12, 2005).]

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Report This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Ya sure, Bill, you betcha. It's truly marvelous how every "benefit" this administration gives us, guarantees a transfer of cash from the citizens, and taxes from the treasury, into the coffers of the drug, insurance, and oil companies.

Case-in-point. The soon-to-start Medicare drug benefit does this by prohibiting Medicare from negotiating prescription prices, guaranteeing insurance companies premium income (if the seniors want the drug benefit) and gouging the taxpayers for the difference between the un-negotiated price of drugs, & the amount of the seniors' premiums.

If you believe this will cost the drug and insurance companies anything, you believe in the tooth fairy, as you must also, if you believe the tax relief the oil companies got will in any way end up in the pockets of the citizens who buy their products.

[This message has been edited by olroy (edited August 12, 2005).]

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Gas hit 2.65/gal here in Northern Indiana. Think I waited to long to sell my 25ft

Posts: 63 | Location: Winona Lake, IN | Member Since: 04-18-2001Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/08
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olroy:
Ya sure, Bill, you betcha. It's truly marvelous how every "benefit" this administration gives us, guarantees a transfer of cash from the citizens, and taxes from the treasury, into the coffers of the drug, insurance, and oil companies.

Case-in-point. The soon-to-start Medicare drug benefit does this by prohibiting Medicare from negotiating prescription prices, guaranteeing insurance companies premium income (if the seniors want the drug benefit) and gouging the taxpayers for the difference between the un-negotiated price of drugs, & the amount of the seniors' premiums.

If you believe this will cost the drug and insurance companies anything, you believe in the tooth fairy, as you must also, if you believe the tax relief the oil companies got will in any way end up in the pockets of the citizens who buy their products.

Good one Olroy: Thank

------------------
Jay&Shelby 95 Barth Regency 34ft. 8.3 Cummins 300 hp.
Spartan K2 MM.

Posts: 134 | Location: Harriman,Tn.U.S.A. | Member Since: 01-09-2004Report This Post
Picture of Sloop John B
posted Hide Post
I put $45,00 in the Bonneville today @ 2.75 a gallon what bargian. Glad it gets 30 miles to the gallon . JKB

Posts: 706 | Location: 103 miles west of Milford & 1.75 Miles from Lincoln oasis on I-80 | Member Since: 01-05-2005Report This Post
Picture of Sloop John B
posted Hide Post
Put $80,00 in the Barth @ $2.53 a gallon what a bargian? Glad I found it for less for the Barth. JKB

Posts: 706 | Location: 103 miles west of Milford & 1.75 Miles from Lincoln oasis on I-80 | Member Since: 01-05-2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Anybody want to fill our 150 gallon tank? I'm waiting. I'll say THANKS.

Dale

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
The only way prices will go down is if we consume less. And all the motor homes in the country together don't consume that much. It's cars and their use to go any distance over 2 blocks. So maybe we ought to write the President and tell him to mandate that all fleets have to average 30mpg within 5 years or they will be taxed out of business. Then we could also keep cars out of the cities by taxing their use as commuter vehicles as they do in Singapore, forcing people to use mass transit. Then drop the speed limit to 55mph like Nixon did. Just think, maybe we'e see where we were going. And then, just for good measure, put a consumption tax on ever car that didn't get at least 30mpg. Of course if anyone thinks anybody in this country will go for any of this, they still believe in the good fairy.

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Report This Post
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
I agree with the consumption angle. But I think more than anything is the fack that a billion Chinese want TV's, cell phones, SUVs, and Play Stations. That's where the increase in consumption is going.

Hate to say it folks but we've been riding the Arab oil gravy train for a long time. We just need to force ourselves to work around it. And, we will, this is America.

------------------

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Report This Post
1st month member
posted Hide Post
Let's all bash the oil companies at once. They just buy the oil from the stinkin' Arabs. When is Congress going to allow drilling in Alaska or off the coast of California or the East Coast near the Hamptons. Who's to blame here? No one remembers the bad ole 1980's when the bad oil times put a lot of people around Houston out of work because oil companies weren't making a profit. A lot of us down here that refine the oil that you put in your Barth lost our jobs because of it. Remember that every company is in business to make a profit or go out of business. It takes $1 billion investment to build one deep-water offshore rig to put this overwhelming profit into perspective. Ex-Texaco employee

[This message has been edited by EddieChevalier (edited August 13, 2005).]

Posts: 328 | Location: Sovereign Republic of Texas-Beaumont | Member Since: 01-15-2001Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Dave, you're right-on the target......

The Washington DC mentality has been "What's OUR oil doing underneath THEIR sand?" for far too long...

That, plus conservation....Not a day goes by that I don't see a tricked-out Boeing 757 leaving Andrews AFB, hauling a Congressman, their family & staff on yet another "fact-finding" mission to Paris, London, Rome,etc.
The fuel burn on just one of those junkets would keep every Barth on the road for decades! Before I get a penalty tax for fuel use, I want to see Uncle Sam set an example on conservation.......

Lee
Wash. DC
'78/24'/P-30/454

P.S. For Sale....Government toilet seat,
seldom used, never cleaned: $600 OBO

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Report This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
P.S. For Sale....Government toilet seat,
seldom used, never cleaned: $600 OBO

At my employer, we removed the expensive Boeing toilet seats and returned them under warranty for credit. We then went to Home Depot and bought more reasonably priced replacements.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/08
posted Hide Post
Lee: I think the Bush load up a few time a week too!

------------------
Jay&Shelby 95 Barth Regency 34ft. 8.3 Cummins 300 hp.
Spartan K2 MM.

Posts: 134 | Location: Harriman,Tn.U.S.A. | Member Since: 01-09-2004Report This Post