Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
gas prices
 Login now/Join our community

posted Hide Post
Bill,

On a 454 with a QuadroJet where would you connect the vacuum gauge and what would it tell you regarding fuel economy?

Posts: 43 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Member Since: 11-16-2004Report This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Barry Rechtorovich:
Bill,

On a 454 with a QuadroJet where would you connect the vacuum gauge and what would it tell you regarding fuel economy?

Barry, I can't kneel for a while, or I would go out and check, but I teed into one of the lines on the front of the carb, way down low. Be sure not to use the one that (eventually) goes to the distributor. You want one that sucks all the time, not just above idle (ported). It might be the one to the air cleaner.

As far as using it, keep the needle as high as possible. The weight of your rig, wind, grade etc will allow you to arrive at a compromise you can live with. Just remember that the lower the needle, the richer the mixture and the poorer the economy. Take a look at some at the parts store and look at the colors.

[This message has been edited by bill h (edited September 02, 2005).]

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Bill,

Thank you for the vacuum gauge info. I've only had my 81 28 foot Euro out twice, without a toad. I got about 6 mpg on the longer trip from Phoenix to San Diego. I was doing the speed limit the entire trip. I have a feeling that if I had a vacuum gauge installed I would have realized that I was pouring gas through the carb.

I will try to install the gauge before the next trip and compare my results.

If it helps me keep my foot out of it and helps my mpg, the info might help others be able to cut the cost of travel with a little change in driving habits.

I will keep you all posted on the results.

Thanks again

Barry

Posts: 43 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Member Since: 11-16-2004Report This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
My '90 Regal SE has a built-in vacum gauge. At 55-60, & 17000 lbs w/o the toad, it runs at about 10" on the level . With the toad, & around 20,000 lbs., it runs at about 8". It doesn't take much of a hill to drop the vacuum, & the secondaries cut in at around 5 or 6". Mileage averages around 6mpg.

I only see 18-20" at idle, or going downhill. The gauge is small, & on the right side of the dash, so it's hard to monitor it & keep my eyes on the road.

If I were installing one, I'd get a great big one, & mount it right in the center where it would scare me all the time.

The amount of weight you haul is a big factor in fuel economy.

[This message has been edited by olroy (edited September 02, 2005).]

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Report This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
I believe the power enrichment needles on the primaries start to lift at around 10 inches.

The Qjet likes to stay clean, so a couple of bottles of Red Line fuel system cleaner is a good idea. Your genset will run better, too.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Report This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Here's the setup on my 81 Euro.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

------------------
Dan & Suzy Z
'81 Euro 28

Posts: 3476 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
Paid 3.05 for regular yesterday morning in Fall City Wa. gal said it had gone up 8 cents overnite. Just checked diesel prices at Flying J and Loves.....highest for Flying J was 3.23 in Pasco Wa., lowest was 2.42 in Gulfport Miss. of all places. Loves was 3.21 in Ca. (Ripon I think) and 2.44 also in Gulfport.

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Report This Post
Picture of ryegal
posted Hide Post
Hi all and now because of Katrina we all pay more for eve rything! I think what happened there is tragic but what about the people who are barely scraping by now get to and from to work gas is over $3.00 a gal here in Seattle. This is just getting worse, Betsy ( my barth will have picnics at home or not go far, but I'm not selling ! Thank you all for being here !

Posts: 94 | Location: Seattle,wa,usa | Member Since: 12-31-2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
So, We have heard about saving full on gas engines, what about a diesel? Is there anything that will save on fuel other than not eating the guts out of it going up hill at full throttle?

Posts: 37 | Location: Salem, Oregon, USA | Member Since: 06-18-2004Report This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
There are two things on a Qjet that can help mileage. The first is the power enrichment piston. If it sticks, the mixture cannot adjust as required by manifold vacuum. This can be checked and freed from the top. The second is float level. It can be checked from the top, too, but requires lifting the top to adjust or repair. The float is usually a black polynitraphyl foam plastic, which is a little porous, and often becomes saturated with fuel, and sinks a bit. This will cause the fuel level in the bowl to rise, giving a richer mixture with consequent higher fuel consumption.

The APT can be fiddled, too, but that gets complicated unless you have a good carb man.

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Anybody have any wisdom for us 460 EFI owners?

I like the vacuum guage, I will be installing one. I will add the "Red Line" to my system. The air psi on all my tires are correct and the tread is not to aggresive. It has had a tune up last year. There is a little over 26,000 miles on it.

Other then these items the only other thing would be to stay out of the gas pedal so much. I'm sure everyone here has changed there driving style.

------------------
http://www.truckroadservice.com/

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jefflarsen:
So, We have heard about saving full on gas engines, what about a diesel? Is there anything that will save on fuel other than not eating the guts out of it going up hill at full throttle?

I got a little bit of an education on diesel MPG from Cummins' white paper at http://www.everytime.cummins.com/every/pdf/MPG_Secrets_Whitepaper.pdf

Mike

Posts: 142 | Location: Garden Grove, CA | Member Since: 06-09-2005Report This Post
She who must be obeyed
and
me, Ensign 3rd crass
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted Hide Post
Danger Danger, thread drift

Ok I came to the Site of Dave

I Saw

And as this will be post 102 on this discussion

Dave, do you remember brew 102?

They finally pulled the place down this year to build a new offramp for the 101.
Yep just like oly, it’s the water, brew 102 made with genuine L.A. River water. Yum Yum and as I recall $0.99 a six pack, just like gas hard to find a $0.99 six pack these days. Brew 102 was a bit over priced considering the way it tasted but suitable for cash strapped surf bums like myself.

Timothy

Posts: 282 | Location: Studio City, California | Member Since: 02-07-2003Report This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
All I remember is that just when you saw that sucker you had to go around a sweeping turn under the overpass, trucks in front and on side and going 70 mph. It was always 90+, never had air and I had been driving about a year. Wasn't that out on the way to Disneyland or something. I am thinking there was a big can of Fallstaff there too,

------------------

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
Just a quick update on prices....last sunday i paid $2.43 for diesel in Yuma. gas was $2.19....that same day in Havasu diesel was $2.57.... but i found gas for $1.87...and on the same block another station had it for $2.45 and across the street it was $2.19. Guess who had a line up at the pumps. Back in Yuma yesterday it has dropped to $2.15 and i saw in the paper where one station was down to $2.01. Oh... and we have no snow.

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Report This Post